Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moving out on my own

moving out on my own

My parents are really pushing me to move out on my own. They aren't going to help me financially and I don't have a job either. I receive $900 from s.s. and state money for caregivers. How can I make this work? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kirkwood
    My parents are really pushing me to move out on my own. They aren't going to help me financially and I don't have a job either. I receive $900 from s.s. and state money for caregivers. How can I make this work? Thanks
    Kirk, get in touch with your county Human/Social Services and try to get into one of their rental assistance programs. If you qualify (you should) they'll pick up around 3/4ths of your rent when you find a "unit" to live in. Other than that, good luck.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Where do you live? Your local Center for Independent Living (CIL) may be helpful. Usually they can help find accessible and affordable housing, identify programs that may support your needs and even help arrange PCAs. Programs vary state-to-state.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

go for it man..its good to get some freedom, independence and especially privacy!
    The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

Are you going to school or doing something to get into the work force? Would they compromise and help you some if you were to be actively working on this (say for the next 4 years of college or vocational school)?

Section 8 housing may be an option, but in my area, the waiting list is years long, so we rarely can depend upon it. If you do qualify, and it is available, you pay only a maximum of 1/3 of your total income for rent. You can't have any criminal record and there are other regulations that determine your eligibility. A roommate situation is also a possible option depending on where you live.

Talk to your local ILC. They should have services and counselors to help you and your parents to come up with a plan for you to gradually move into more independent living.

(KLD)

Question

I got an offer to move in with a friend that just bought a house. We get along great, but I don't want anything to jeopardize our friendship. I need a caregiver in the mornings, but I need pretty minimal help at night, just empty my leg bag, make dinner and help getting into bed. Should I have him help me at nights or should I have a caregiver at night too? Do u guys think this is a good idea/situation?
    Thanks

Get an attendant... As you said...
    I don't want anything to jeopardize our friendship
    He's your freind.. keep itr that way. He might not mind helping you, but being relied./expected to help is another ball game.

Move out, but get outside help.

Yeah, don't put that pressure on your bro.

i agree with Patonb and NQ. Very nice of your friend, I expect you'll be giving something back as compensation (not necessarily $$$)? No one likes a freeloader.

Yeppers. Don't put the strain on your friend of being your PCA. Maintain the integrity of that friendship at all costs.

In a pinch/emergency your friend could help, but otherwise avoid it.

Best to you on your impending adventure of independence.