Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: home health care

home health care

there's an agency that says that they can send a live-in who would work 30 days straight provideing total care, including night turning, for c5-6 quad. after 30 days a different aide would be sent. 185 a day. wondering others thoughts/experiences on this working out.

thanks
    jack

Who covers her workmans comp or your liability if she gets hurt? I've had one a week at a time that went well but she had plenty of experience working 9 months of the year at a school for those with severe physical diisabilities from age 5 to 19. Another one had certain, hmm, issues with what she thought I could do if I just tried..
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

they would be insured and bonded by the agency. i have no workers comp

Can you afford that? That comes out to $5500/month or $66,000 per year. Most insurances would not cover care like this...certainly Medicare and Medicaid will not.

Do you have to deal with an agency? You can private pay a PCA for much less than this if you are providing room and board. Can you just find your own PCAs who either work shifts or live in and then have a second and third person for both a day off for your main PCA and back-up? The aide from the agency probably gets only minimum wage. The agency takes the rest, and with this arrangement, you have to retrain someone every month, and the agency, not you, decides what the aide is allowed to do (and not do).

Do you really need 24/7 care? Have you investigated getting a turning bed/mattress and perhaps an ECU? They are expensive, but much less than your plan would cost in a very short period of time.

(KLD)

which bed and ecu would you suggest

thanks
    jack

Yeah, that's a crazy price. Check your area for people looking for that type of job, it's not uncommon. At your level, it's not a stretch to consider just 2-3 hours night and morning. It's kind of a job for just one person, but it might be harder to find more than one that can get along.

As people used to tell me, and it came true, there are people out there looking for a job like this.

Use the Search feature at the top of the page for an Environmental Control Unit, I was just looking at that the other day.

We use a lot of CairTurn RT mattresses for those who cannot turn themselves but still have intact skin. There are many other types of turning mattresses available. We often use the same company's TurnCair for those who are at even higher risk.

I have also used the SpanAmerica Turn Select, but we found that we had to have these serviced a lot.

I have not used these, but here are just a few others:

TurnSoft

Gaymar Plexus

AccuMax Turn Support

Symmetric Aire Plus

Comfort Turn

As far as ECUs, there are quite a few on the market. You should try out several before purchase. We use this company primarily: Quartet

Here is a more extensive list:
    http://www.usatechguide.org/techguid...ode=1&catid=38

(KLD)

would it be safe to lay in the turning bed 13-14 hrs unattended.

jack

Many of my clients do, but why would you need to lay in it that long? Most of my clients at your level of injury have their AM attendant come at 6 or 7AM and are out of bed no later than 9AM (usually sooner to do bowel care and shower), and their evening PCA comes at 8 or 9PM and they are in bed about 10PM. That means they are in bed roughly 8-10 hours.

(KLD)

that's my routine. i'm ready for bed by that time

jack