Thread: Loose Stools in the elderly

Loose Stools in the elderly

I am seeking information and or answers. Does anyone know what I could use for loose stools? My mom is elderly and she is always having a problem with this. Can not make it to the bathroom normally because it is just like water or very soft.

Please help

Has she been recently hospitalized or been on antibiotics? If so, she should first be tested for a c. difficile infection. This would require taking a fresh stool specimen to a lab (requires a physician's order). Only if this test comes back negative should medications to firm up the stool be used. This would include Kaopectate or Imodium.

If this continues to be a problem, her physician may want to evaluate her for IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).

(KLD)

loose stool in the elderly

Thank you for the response. I will take her to the doctor and ask about this. Yes she was in the hospital for a bowel infection after having her gall bladder removed. 19 days in the hospital and rehap. antibiotics all of the days.

To add to the nurse's comment - in my (very limited, thankfully) experience, C. diff. caused a slightly yellowish/greenish stool with a distinctive stink to it. It was hospital-acquired, which I think is the usual case.