Thread: Router behind Router?

Router behind Router?

The computers in our house got rearranged, and now my mom's computer is not within reach of the router.

My dad has the Cat5e cable connecting his computer to the router running under the house. He could do the same for my mom's computer, but he's trying to avoid going under the house again.

I have an extra router, so I got my dad to unplug his computer and add the extra router (D-link) to my primary one (Westell), then connecting his computer to the D-link. (Mom's computer is now near my dad's.)

Unfortunately, that didn't work. Westell said D-link's IP was 192.168.1.97, so I unsuccessfully tried connecting to it from both my computer and my dad's. D-link's default/factory set address is 192.168.0.1, but that was unreachable as well.

Is there a way to set this up so that it will work?

Thanks,

Steven
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Yha there is. Whats going on is, the second router is also trying to act as a ip assigning server.

You'll need to disable that part and maually configure everything... Turn it into a hub basically.

Try this post: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp...&TopicId=10426

Thanks Paton.

I'm having trouble accessing the D-link to make the necessary changes. Any suggestions there?
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

I have a similar setup where I'm just using this switch on the back of the second router to feed Internet access to two other computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    Thanks Paton.

I'm having trouble accessing the D-link to make the necessary changes. Any suggestions there?
    Yha connect it to any computer first, do the changes. THEN plug into the other router.

Quote Originally Posted by doingtimeonmyass
    I have a similar setup where I'm just using this switch on the back of the second router to feed Internet access to two other computers.
    Yha, switches are easier as, you're basically setting up the second router as a switch.

I need to do this myself. I have a wireless Netgear with the following that connect to it when able:

3 laptops with wireless cards
    my cell phone
    a desktop
    Slingbox
    HD DVR

Any suggestions of what to buy and how to configure? The desktop, Slingbox, and DVR are hard wired.

For ease, just get another Netgear... One that can be used as an AP, access point. Which is pretty much all now adays.

However... Easiest would be to Wifi your desktop, move the modem and router by the TV.

This way you get max connection to the video devices.

Thanks again, Paton. I thought I had tried that already, but I'll do it again to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    Thanks again, Paton. I thought I had tried that already, but I'll do it again to make sure.
    Yha, Maybe you forgot to hit save?? I do that alot on web interfaces, as I forget and click the top tabs... thereby having to do it again.

Just plug two cables together.