Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I keep hearing about cures and trials so why the negativity

I keep hearing about cures and trials so why the negativity

I keep hearing all this negative talk concerning the future of sci cures and breakthroughs. From what I have come to understand is that we were closer than ever to being cured and the advances of medical breakthroughs are now better than ever. For one I thought the biggest problem with recovery was the messages weren't able to travel down the spinal cord because of the scar that was created due to injury. But isn't Dr. Davies decorin research taking care of that problem? Sure I'm tired of all the positive feedback coming from work done on accute sci's, but isn't Dr. Davies saying that in another few years clinical trials will be coming around for accute and chronic injuries? I've been to working2walk and I've spoke to Dr. Davies and the confidence he has in his research gave me confidence in him. To those of you with lingering thoughts of a cure not coming, give him a call and talk with him because I've found out that his words bring a sense of peace to my inner self. I believe in him.

Me to!!

because we want it now. scientist wants to continue testing it.
    the effects at 35,000 ft above MSL, the effects in zero-G, compare results taken from opposite sides of the room, does it work better in white rats vs black rats, would it work better after a long vacation....

hearing about cures and trials for 15-20 years can cause people to get negative. it kind of wears on you....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S
    hearing about cures and trials for 15-20 years can cause people to get negative. it kind of wears on you....
    I should have been walking in 2007, since my Neuro/SCI rehab Dr. in 2002 confidently stated "In 5 years". I believed it.

Still hearing "in 5 years". You can get jaded.

It is wonderful that research is being done and eventually something really good will come from it. There is no doubt that hearing it for years will get one jaded however it is better than no hope at all.
    I remember in 1979 at the age of 52 my mother was told she had cancer and possibly 2 1/2 years to live. Operation after operation she hung on because there "was a cure just around the corner". 14 operations and 2 1/2 she died.
    Nearly 30 years later and they still would not have been able to save her.
    Five years ago my father was told he had 6 months to live, liver cancer. There was a clinical study starting which he was able to get on. Four years later of a pretty good life and he passed away. 30 years ago he would have died in 6 months.
    The way research is going on today for us I believe in a cure. If not for me at my age I sincerly hope for the young ones I talk to at the hospital every month.

Progress is being made and the science available is pretty astounding. However, imho, without a large and consistent clinical trial network nor the funds and infrastructure necessary to support the trials, the wait, inevitably continues.

The visual (dream) analogy that I use is one where I am lying in bed and reaching across the room towards a shelf on which the "recovery / cure" is sitting. As desperately as possible I extend my arm closer and closer but to no avail. The distance between the two is an abyss of which I cannot yet cross and in my mind needs to be filled with beds (support) that I can crawl across to reach the shelf. The beds, filled with patients and surrounded by doctors, researchers and staff, are representative of the clinical trial setting that my mind envisions. Many of us, under one roof, being treated, cared for, and encouraged to never give up.

Onward and upward,

Chris

Why the negativity? Because no human has been cured.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Angry because some of us heard this over 20 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S
    THATS AN UNDERSTATMENT.
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

SCI-1
    Cure-0

Sad but true!