Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AD Gone wild

AD Gone wild

Have been sweating from AD for the last 8 days, not constantly but on and off from my right neck to across my forehead. Sometimes I can go hour's with no sweats, then I’m swapping towels every 20 minutes.

On the 6th day I went to the ER where I had A KUB which came back fine. They asked if I wanted to be admitted for dehydration I asked if I could not drink water at Home, they said ‘fine’.

The 7th day I came back after waking up in sweat. The doctors, Disease infection, orthopedics, SCI and Nuorologist can find nothing wrong. Had chest xray, no UTI, no skin issues and my bones are fine.

Now the 8th day, what do I do?

Is the sweating < or> when laying down?

Have you taken a good dump?

Tried upping your bladdar spasm med?

New shoes or socks? Silly but sometimes it's the silliest thing.

Not sure if you're M or F but if you are expecting your period it can trigger AD.

Is it just the "sweats" or is your blood pressure up too?

It's exhausting, I understand. Keep hydrated w/ gatorade as all that sweating F*cks you up as well (how's that for being blunt).
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Hi,

I agree with asking the above questions- often it is the small things such as bowel (constipation), bladder or skin issues that cause AD.
    What is the temperature in your room? Hot?

If you have not checked with blood pressure while this is occurring, please do. This would be the difference between AD and sweating, which can be common in SCI especially above your injury site.

AAD

this my 3rd day in hospital

no skin, bladder, bowel or bone issues

no on knows what to do

the bp does go up but not over 150
    Last edited by Cris; 05-31-2008 at 07:11 AM.

Hi,

Usually with AD the BP goes up higher than 150. Could it possibly not be AD and they would want to consider treating the sweating as the primary problem. What are you ( and the doctors) mainly concerned with here?
    What seems to you the riskiest issue for you? Did you have fever or change in your level of consciousness?

AAD

Do goosebumps and headaches come with the sweats? I had a big onslaught of AD recently, it was ingrown-toenail related.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Hi,

Usually with AD the BP goes up higher than 150. Could it possibly not be AD and they would want to consider treating the sweating as the primary problem. What are you ( and the doctors) mainly concerned with here?
    What seems to you the riskiest issue for you? Did you have fever or change in your level of consciousness?

AAD
    Can you get AD symptoms from a lot of stress? I noticed 2 weeks ago that I kept getting mild AD symptoms off and on when I had to work double shifts at the nursing home and wasn't eating and drinking enough. It was not fun, especially the massive headache that I get with AD.

Jessie

When I checked in the hospital my BP was 88/46 normal for me, I usually run low. After a chest x-ray they admitted me with pneumonia which was subsequently ruled out.

The reason I went to get admitted was because of the AD sweats, I could not find the cause and I needed to.

I know what AD symptoms are and how they progress; I have had my blood pressure at 300/180, sweating like a sprinkler and cannons going off in my head. After 25 years I know my body and regardless of temperature, I only sweat from AD.

The more I sweat or actually when it changes from just the right side of my neck and then moves to the right side of my forehead, then my entire forehead my BP basically doubled, Not enough to give the pounding headache, but definitely AD.

While in the hospital they did all the things I had done plus. My number one cause of AD is an UTI, no growth before I checked in and again while there. I had the KUB which ruled out any bowel issues, checked my skin and not a mark.

I x-rayed my tibia (broke in January) before going to the hospital, it came back with no movement and still “clinically” joined. Did the tibia, fibula, pelvic, and femur all again as an inpatient, again all negative. The MRI and CAT scan revealed nothing.

When I got my cast off I stopped taking the narcotics (the only thing that stops my spasms completely) and I switched to valium. The valium moderates the spasms but when it wears off they come back with a vengeance. Though after awhile they will settle down but it takes a few weeks.

The SCI doc I called in for a consult was as clueless as the neurologist. He was going to prescribe a drug to stop the sweating but when he found out how low my BP usually is and that I already took Midronine to help keep it up he changed his mind. I did not like the idea of treating the symptom without knowing the cause anyway.

The Infectious Disease doctor stopped the antibiotic after pneumonia was ruled out.

The last doc I saw was the orthopedic guy and after reading the chart, looking at the x-rays he asked “why am I here?” and I replied “desperation”. So he put a gigantic splint (twice, the 1st on would not have protected my toes) on with the rationale “if it stops the sweating, good” if not we will revisit it in a week.

But there was nothing more I could do as an inpatient so when the guy in the next bed ‘coded’ and freaked me out, I left with the splint.

I have a 2 week internship requiring a shirt and tie starting a week from Monday so if the sweats go away I will go back to my podiatrist and see if he will swap it back to a light cast.

If I make it to morning without sweating, we will have found the cause.

It appeared that immobilizing my tibia and taking a pain pill eliminated the autonomic dysreflexia. I woke up this morning and was completely dry.

My conclusion is that the AD was caused by the pain from my incompletely healed tibia and that the narcotics I have been taking since January had been masking the symptoms . So when I discontinued the narcotics the pain got through causing the autonomic dysreflexia.

I hate to put it this way but after a good post IV antibiotic dump, clean and dry, I feel great compared to the last two weeks.

Now all I need to do to is convince my podiatrist to put another lightweight cast on it instead of the cement anchor I'm wearing now.

I am so glad you found the cause. AD sweats suck so bad...

Chris.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber