Thread: Urine sample

Urine sample

I know this is a no no, but just how bad is it to take a sample from a drain bag, thats been there for a few hours?

I the situation is, My bladders spasming tight as I try to do I/C's, so I'm suspecting a UTI. But cause I can't cath, I can't get a fresh sample.
    I do reflex void at about 300cc's but retain 150cc, so I do an I/C very morning.

Just wondering how bad my samples going to be, as theres no other way I knew to get a sample.

BAH....... I just wantta cath

Blog Entries
    That's what I have always done buddy. I use bleach/water solution to clean/kill mine daily, so I just avoided cleaning it 24hrs prior to sample.
    Bet you get a bunch of nays from the whitejackets on this I say ignore them though, the lab always caught/rx'ed the bug OUR way, it's a LOT less hassle.

I figured since the bug originally came from OUTSIDE me, the best place to look was the bag

No, we would never collect, and the lab would not accept a specimen taken from a bag. If you have an indwelling catheter, we will take it from the sample port (with a blunt needle and syringe). If you have an external condom catheter (ECC) it cannot be taken from the drainage tubing or bag. Either a cathed specimen or clean catch would be needed. You only need about 10-15 cc. for a urine culture.

To collect a clean catch, you must clean the meatus and glans with an antiseptic wipe, wipe off the antiseptic, pee a little, then insert the cup to catch the mid-stream of the urine (after you have peed a little). You may be able to do this by triggering if you have a lot of bladder spasm.

You may indeed have different bugs growing in your bag than are inside your bladder.

(KLD)

My problem is I can't cath. Hence why I'm checking for a uti... My sphicter is spasming shut when I try to do them. I couldn't even get a spasm to pee any out, which was my back up plan, which has been happening up until today.

I needed the sample... so I did a last ditched effort. Oh We'll, see whats happens.

If you can't either cath or pee, you need to go to the ER. Your bladder has to empty somehow. They may have to do a cystoscopic indwelling catheter placement, or a temporary SP catheter to drain your urine.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    If you can't either cath or pee, you need to go to the ER. Your bladder has to empty somehow. They may have to do a cystoscopic indwelling catheter placement, or a temporary SP catheter to drain your urine.

(KLD)
    No No, I can pee, I void with no issues, but do to residual amounts, I I/C once a day.

But lately, my bladders been tight, and i started having cath issues.... If I couldn't void/pee, I wouldn't have been around to post.

I ironically, just had my system, kidneys bladder, etc, ultra sounded and all looked normal, thankfully.