Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spinal stroke?

Hi Bhiggins:
    I am sorry to hear about your brother. I am not an expert, but this sounds like a spinal stroke based on the information provided. I hope your brother seems much recovery over the next year. Information about spinal strokes are hard to come by, but you will find many people with knowledge here on Carecure.

is necrotic ( dead tissue ) the same as scar tissue? If one's spinal cord is necrotic in spots doesn't that mean that all cell bodies are dead? In this case what could be done?! Ischemia/infarction I assume kills cell bodies quicker and worse than a regular sci.

Hi Cdurfree99, I do not have enough scientific knowledge to answer your questions specifically, but people who suffer ischemia/infarction have a good chance at recovery.

how about 10 years after complete t12 paraplegia?

I wish; at least there is always the chance for a cure or reincarnation.

Quote Originally Posted by cdurfee99 View Post
    is necrotic ( dead tissue ) the same as scar tissue? If one's spinal cord is necrotic in spots doesn't that mean that all cell bodies are dead? In this case what could be done?! Ischemia/infarction I assume kills cell bodies quicker and worse than a regular sci.
    Necrotic = rotting. It is not the same as scar tissue, which is a complex structure primarily made of collegen. Necrotic tissue will generally be phagocytized by white cells in your body and eventually replaced with scar.

Why would you think that ischemia or infarction would damage CNS tissue worse than crushing, bruising, pinching or cutting? That is actually not founded in science. There is more likelyhood of return in an ischemic or infarcted cord, esp. if the injury is incomplete or if early return occurs. In addition, much of the damage done in traumatic spinal cord injury is actually ischemia. Cutting of the cord is very rare, but swelling or compression from fractured bone can easily cut off the blood supply to the cord.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

Why would you think that ischemia or infarction would damage CNS tissue worse than crushing, bruising, pinching or cutting? That is actually not founded in science. There is more likelyhood of return in an ischemic or infarcted cord, esp. if the injury is incomplete or if early return occurs. In addition, much of the damage done in traumatic spinal cord injury is actually ischemia. Cutting of the cord is very rare, but swelling or compression from fractured bone can easily cut off the blood supply to the cord.

(KLD)
    Yea, that's what I thought KLD. Or at least what every neurologist and neurosurgeon told me. Then I found out why stroke will be excluded from the China SCINet and the NASCINet trials. Might ask Wise to explain. I think Q Therapeutics will help spinal stroke victims better than the umbilical cord/lithium mix. Or at least I understand what their trials will use and what it has done in many studies.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

newbie looking for post spinal stroke sci therapy advice

Greetings, first time poster here.
    My wife was diagnosed at Brigham and Womens Boston recently with a spinal stroke. It took 12 days of a "million dollar workup" in their Neuro ICU and step down unit to come to that conclusion with GBS being the first suspicion and everything from VD to AVM eliminated. They were eventually confident that one or more of the 5 MRI's showed an infarction (I believe at T12).
    Sypmtoms included paralysis of ankles and feet with cold and sharp sensory loss in those as well as various places on her legs and behind. Lack of control voiding. Significant weakness in certain leg motions. They were quite challenged with the case and had her on grand rounds and everything. In any case, there is nothing to be done to treat the condition except to go for rehab in an appropriate facility. We chose a suburban rehab hospital which had a decent neuro reputation. Problem is they want to discharge her to home therapy (eventually followed by outpatient). But I can't believe after just 2.5 weeks, essentially 12 fulltime days of therapy, that they've done all they can. Clearly at home will not be anything like being in the facility. What are other people's experiences in this regard? She has made significant progress and is able to move one foot pretty significantly and the other less so. Limited walking with braces, walker and assitance. Also tried removing catheter and using flomax and may be able to manage that. Not being an expert I don't have much ammunition to argue the point, but can't believe an SCI victim should only get 12 days of inpatient therapy.

Hi Setanta:
    I am very sorry to hear about your wife.
    I too had a spinal stroke. After moving from the hospital to inpatient rehab, they sent me home pretty quickly. I think three weeks. My Dr. strongly felt that people progress more quickly in their home environments. Being forced to do everything yourself is a lot of exercise/work when you have SCI. I don’t know if her philosophy was right or wrong, but it worked out for me. I did outpatient rehab once a week and worked out in my own home. Of course, I still believe more would have been better.
    Good luck. You might want to post in the NEW SCI forum, you will probably get more responses there.

Thanks lucky dog

I really appreciate you sharing your experience and advice. We're feeling thrown into the deep end of the pool with this event and people like yourself and this forum really make a difference.

Much thanks and the best to you and your recovery.