Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sad Saturday!

Obie:

Hugs to you... Don and I have only had the "pleasure" of dealing with SCI for 3 years. Don is pretty scheduled now... he retired about 6 months ago but he gets up everyday but Sunday at 6:15am because he is addicted to CNBC and managing his retirement funds. He's actually busier now than when he was working. I, of course, am responsible for the house, the yard, and on and on and at first I hated it but now I feel empowered by it but TIRED... I have been on vacation for 2 weeks and had a "to do" list and am proud to say that I DID NOT complete any of it.... I am frustrated to say the least.

So... I am thinking about you and send good vibes your way... I wish I lived closer and I could just come and get you and kidnap you for a drink... but alas... it is not to be.

Hang in there!!

Love, Sieg

Thanks so much everyone for sharing your thoughts ... today was a moderetly better day ..... Bill got up in a better frame of mind and we had a nice afternoon on the deck and then we barbequed supper .... my daughter had her boy best friend over and I swear I always feel by the time we get through a meal my kids friends need therapy just to get back into the real world after leaving our world ....... but they are good sports and we do laugh alot ! Although Tuna sandwiches were not on the menu ..... we enjoyed a hamburger and a beer .... no mother-in-law's allowed .... and watermellon for dessert .....

Beautiful warm Spring days are probably harder to cope with than the cold miserable January ones when I really stop to think about it and I just knew someone would understand about Saturday nights .......

When I get Bill back where he belongs hopefully things will get back to normal ..... whatever the heck that is and I can get back to complaining about that .......

Thank you for taking the time to reply ..... and thank the universe for Lilacs .....

Obieone
    ETA - I truly treasure you folks!
    Last edited by Obieone; 06-01-2008 at 11:38 PM.
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Obieone,

I understand the Saturday nights. Fridays are fine because that is the end of the workweek (or in my son's case school week) and it's a night to decompress a bit.

But Saturdays are nights when it hurts to be at home. The weight of the injury and the situation weighs you down with unbearable sadness. My son should be out on a date or with his friends Satuday nights, "galaxy bowling" with his brother ... instead he is home with mom and dad watching movies or something. No girls are lining up at my door to date him, his friends have long since stopped calling to get together. Even my friends and our family's friends have other things to do on Saturdays. I realize that a day is what you make of it, but you can only make so much lemade out of lemons and some days (Saturday nights) simply suck.

Sundays are OK because the routine seems to fall back into place. But Saturdays are a black hole of sadness.

I vote we skip from Friday to Sunday from now on!

Take care.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Obieone,

This injury affects the entire family, even if he is the one in the wheelchair. He may be affected most, but you're struggling with him because he comes with the injury and all of its complications.

Big hug to you and blessings to your family.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    Is he being treated for his depression, I say try & keep him as active as possible & read your mother in law the riot act about "babying him"
    Yes Canuck he's on Paxil and has been for a few years now ....... we did talk a little and it was exactly as I suspected the "sitting on the sidelines" syndrom .... he promised he would get the bird houses prettied up for me tomorrow so I can put them up in the trees .... we have zillions of birds in this yard and we are bird watchers !

As for the mil .... I've spoken to her about this before .... but ... she's 92 years "young" completely independent and has buried her youngest son who died at age 36 and her husband of over 60 years not so long ago .... Bill is all she has left ..... plus I believe she comes from the generation that has a very different view of what being disabled means .... and of course she is his Mom so I just chalk it up to that mothering complex we tend to fall into now and again ('cept for me of course ) I've already reminded Bill things are going to be different when he gets home ..... he knows exactly what I'm talking about.

We are in an awkward situation with him living in her digs .... I don't want to make her mad ... she doesn't really understand what she's doing is doing him no good .... so I've decided accept that I will just have to deal with the damage control later ..... I'm looking forward to it !

Obieone
    Last edited by Obieone; 06-02-2008 at 09:31 AM.
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Obieone,

That's beautiful that you're so understanding of your mother-in-law.