Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone really think there will ever be a cure to SCI

Quote Originally Posted by znop
    I would not be as well informed about sci if it was not for CPN, you, DA and many others who I apologize for not remembering.

As a walking high functioning quad I try not step on any body's toes and there are much better writers here than I could ever be. I pray and hope that within years many of you have the luxury of an independent SCI. If a cure comes fine, but I think this day and age functional restoration of some kind is eventual. You ask most sci's who are realistic they just want a better quality of life and we all know that is attainable.

Da I'll let you off the hook if you pay for the wine and beer at DR. Youngs retirement party(of course after his wonderfull work is done.)hopefully in the near future.

lol

John Ponziano
    c-7 sci post 16 years
    3 baclofen pumps
    2 tendon transfers
    total shoulder replacement
    rebroken right femur to retard drop foot
    arthoscopic surgery on both elbows.
    neuropathic pain
    myoclonus clonus
    spasticity
    severe back and neck pain
    anyone want to e-mail and wants any info from this old quad feel free to e-mail me at Ponz@yahoo.com
    Peace
    ok, deal....

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DA
    i was speaking science, not available. the science is there for a cure. the cure will pop up over night, not because of a great break through, but because the scientist are keeping much a secret from us. even those who visit the lab is fed yesterdays news.

btw john, i think the vast majority of this forum will get cured in a phase III.
    Soon...
    Oh Da,

You are unreapairable optimist

There is couple old Soviet time jokes

-Pessimist is well informed optimist!

And one more-

Pessimist walking down the street and he is closely followed/watched by 2 optimists in plain cloth

Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by apex19
    democrats are for abortion i can do with out walking before i get a aborted baby to fix my spinal cord NO THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
    Who's using aborted fetuses to repair spinal cord tissue?

I think you are confusing fetal stem cells with embryonic stem cells.

Quote Originally Posted by patecatl
    i also have no doubt they can repair the spinal cord now. dr. young said in a chat room a few years ago he had seen transected rat cords in japan repaired to the point where they looked no different from normal cords. and i'm sure we've all read articles of repairs done over the last three years or so and yet none of these magnificent advances ever seem to get to people. but i would bet if we could have access to ALL the information in labs all over the world a cure would be there.
    Good gods. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I don't even know why I am still amazed at how many people here honestly seem to believe that if we just threw X amount of dollars at this that we would all be dancing a jig by Xmas. Ya'll don't have a clue how complex this issue is. The more we learn about the CNS, the more we have to learn. The number of inhibitory factors alone is staggering, let alone what we don't know about actually promoting axon growth, remyelination, etc.

Maybe it's that some of you are hanging your hopes on the idea that "The Cure" is right at our scientific fingertips and that's all that keeps you going day-to-day. I guess I could understand that, but I still find it offensive to listen to people maligning the character and personalities of those (doctors and researchers) that they have never even met.

Yes, more money is needed to further research. No, it is not money alone that is keeping us paralyzed. If Socrates were alive today, he could be a spokesperson for spinal cord research.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    Oh Da,

You are unreapairable optimist

There is couple old Soviet time jokes

-Pessimist is well informed optimist!

And one more-

Pessimist walking down the street and he is closely followed/watched by 2 optimists in plain cloth

Enjoy
    i just know the science is there. its humans holding it back.

Quote Originally Posted by DA
    i just know the science is there. its humans holding it back.
    In the sense that if we were rodents as opposed to humans. True.

f
    ight

Quote Originally Posted by donz
    In the sense that if we were rodents as opposed to humans. True.
    the scientist, doctors, the everyday joe can't comprehend what we go through everyday. dr young dont truely understand. a para dont understand
    the life of a quad. a low quad cant understand the hell of a high quad.
    the scientist working on the cure sits at his desk thinking this is what it is like to be paralyzed. living and working from a sitting position. from that poit of view, you can see why there no urgency to get therapies to bed side.

Quote Originally Posted by apex19
    democrats are for abortion i can do with out walking before i get a aborted baby to fix my spinal cord NO THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
    Please tell me you wrote the above for a bet?

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry
    Please tell me you wrote the above for a bet?
    this person is not the only one misguided on research. many here on cc but at the opposite end.

After four-teen years of my hopes being dashed time after time, I have how ever received some of the science making an SCI’s life more mobile. A total cure may be out of my life span’s reach, but the small steps of Baclofen pump, a wheel chair with frog legs, one with a rear wheel suspension, and other possibilities. These already exist and the total cure will come because of the need and our persistence to achieve our potential.