Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021

Thread: Does anyone really think there will ever be a cure to SCI

Quote Originally Posted by redbandit
    She said the Protestants "she knows" don't consider themselves evangelicals. And the ones "she knows" not only don't consider themselves evangelicals, they don't consider themselves Protestants.
    Actually, what I said is that not all Protestants I know self-identify as evangelicals. Further, most Xians refer to their specific denomination, they don't use the general term "Protestant". There is a huge difference between Lutherans and, say, Southern Baptists. They may all worship a man they call Jesus, but they certainly do it in different ways.

This is self-contradictory and is hardly the norm for Protestants.
    How is any of that "self-contradictory"? Do most of the Methodists that you know refer to themselves as Protestants? Technically speaking, of course they could, but do they?

These denominations are all included under the term evangelical.
    All of them? All Protestant churches identify themselves as evangelical?

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Actually, what I said is that not all Protestants I know self-identify as evangelicals.
    You said most of the Protestants you know. Do they identify themselves as liberal, fundamental, or pentecostal then?

Further, most Xians refer to their specific denomination, they don't use the general term "Protestant".
    True, but that doesn't change the fact that their denomination may be Protestant. Not all Christians understand the underpinings of their own religion.

There is a huge difference between Lutherans and, say, Southern Baptists. They may all worship a man they call Jesus, but they certainly do it in different ways.
    True, but I wouldn't say a huge difference. Both are orthodox evangelical denominations that both arose as a result of the Reformation in the 16th century and were labeled by the Catholic church as "Protestant" because they were "protesting" against the church. Both denominations are in agreement that salvation is by faith alone through the substitutionary atonement of Christ, as well as the other core doctrines known as the "essentials". I think the Southern Baptists came from the Anabaptists who were the Radical Reformers but don't quote me on that.

How is any of that "self-contradictory"? Do most of the Methodists that you know refer to themselves as Protestants? Technically speaking, of course they could, but do they?
    Sorry, I misread what you said, it's not self-contradictory. But it depends on how knowledgable a person is as to whether they refer to themselves as Protestant. Protestant is a broader term that is inclusive of many denominations,

All of them? All Protestant churches identify themselves as evangelical?
    No, not all, but a significant majority would.

Do they identify themselves as liberal, fundamental, or pentecostal then?
    Most of them don't use those terms to refer to themselves at all. When I talk to Xians and the subject of religion comes up, they usually identify themselves by the church they attend or were raised in. Concerning the people I am most likely to run into and to get into such a discussion with, I am more likely to label someone a Fundy than they are to declare themselves fundamentalists.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    When I talk to Xians and the subject of religion comes up, they usually identify themselves by the church they attend or were raised in.
    You're right, most Christians will say, "I was raised Baptist" or "I go to the
    First Presbyterian Church because I like the pastor" or something along those lines. More times than not they won't have a clear idea of the differences in the doctrines of different Protestant denominations.

It's an unproven therapy with no real published results, provides little if any recovery, and can cause neuropathic pain. Talk to adichicago on this site, he'll tell you about his experience with OEC's. Neuropathic pain is not an insignificant problem. It is the singular most significant detractor to my quality of life. A therapy that causes neuropathic pain in even one patient is unacceptable. Dr. Huang's procedure is a waste of money at the least, and at the worst a danger to your health and a potential exclusion from future legitimate trials.
    “It's an unproven therapy with no real published results Here are 6 articles which were found on PubMed about Dr.Huang’s OECs published results.

1, Chin Med J (Engl). 2003 Oct;116(10):1488-91

Influence of patients' age on functional recovery after transplantation of olfactory ensheathing cells into injured spinal cord injury.

2, Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2006 Apr;20(4):434-8
    Influence factors for functional improvement after olfactory ensheathing cell transplantation for chronic spinal cord injury.
    3, Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2006 Apr;20(4):439-43
    Safety of fetal olfactory ensheathing cell transplantation in patients with chronic spinal cord injury. A 38-month follow-up with MRI.
    4, Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2007 Jan;21(1):52-7
    MR spectroscopy evaluation and short-term outcome of olfactory ensheathing cells transplantation in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients.
    5, Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2007 Sep;21(9):961-6.
    Short-term outcome of olfactory ensheathing cells transplantation for treatment of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
    6, Clin Transplant. 2008 Jul 31. [Epub ahead of print]
    Fetal olfactory ensheathing cells transplantation in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients: a controlled pilot study.

“Talk to adichicago on this site, he'll tell you about his experience with OEC's. Neuropathic pain is not an insignificant problem. It is the singular most significant detractor to my quality of life. A therapy that causes neuropathic pain in even one patient is unacceptable.” Please go to ask Adi Chicago whether his neuropathic pain was caused by the OECs. He had this serious pain already before he came to take OECs treatment.In the reports, OECs could relieve this kind of pain on some patients. Even if it did not helped Adi, he still can NOT say his pain was a result of OECs.

“…and at the worst a danger to your health” What kind of dangers did OECs caused? Who and how can prove this statement? Many polls and researched have been done on this treatment, although the effect of OECs was not a cure but it indeed helped patients at a certain degree.

Is it really worth going through OEC for the small if detectable at all gains people are getting?
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee
    Is it really worth going through OEC for the small if detectable at all gains people are getting?
    Curt,
    That depends on the individual and their level of desperation. We have seen a number of people report on this site about the treatment. I personally haven't seen evidence to justify the procedure. But I'll bet you ask someone less then 5 years post injury you will get a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ChipD
    Curt,
    That depends on the individual and their level of desperation. We have seen a number of people report on this site about the treatment. I personally haven't seen evidence to justify the procedure. But I'll bet you ask someone less then 5 years post injury you will get a different opinion.
    I wouldnt think of having this done, I can think of better ways to use 20 or 30 grand and I have no great desire to go to China either. Thats one reason I decieded not to even go for the Paralympics as I dont want to go to China.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

[QUOTE=Curt Leatherbee]I wouldnt think of having this done, I can think of better ways to use 20 or 30 grand and I have no great desire to go to China either. Thats one reason I decieded not to even go for the Paralympics as I dont want to go to China, now if it had been in UK or Australia or someplace like that I would have been game, the Paralympics, not the procedure, lol.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred