Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Having a house built

I like the trench drain too, however I'm thinking that it'll probably get a little nasty under the grates after a period of time and would have to be periodically cleaned. If the floor is properly pitched to a regular floor drain there should be no need for secondary drainage.

Two trench drains in design.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames
    I like the trench drain too, however I'm thinking that it'll probably get a little nasty under the grates after a period of time and would have to be periodically cleaned. If the floor is properly pitched to a regular floor drain there should be no need for secondary drainage.
    Actually there are two trench drains in the shower room. Most of the water goes down the drain under neath me while I shower. The drain with the bright chrome grille. The trench drains just catch the over run water and the floor is complete flat zero degees. The other trench drain next to the wall has no grate on it which is nice. There is no nasty crud that settles in the drain just soapy water. Plus I clean my night bottle and leg bag with Clorox in the shower and that should clean the drains too. See attached photos.

I am in the process of getting the plastic grate made into stainless steel brushed finished with the holes going length wise to the drain.

titanium4motion

I never noticed there was two trench drains till you pointed it out. I just know I don't want the water overflow like I have now.

We met with the house desinger today to look at her first draft of the floor plan we need to make several changes. Plus I wanted lots of windows but she put windows where it makes no sense. Plus I don't like the layout of the bathroom. Also need to check the building codes on windows for this area she has 3' x 6' in most rooms which she said would be eight inches from the floor not sure if that has to be tempered or not. There is also something about if the bottom sash is 9 sq ft or over it has to be tempered glass. She screened in the back covered porch which I liked.

Sjean my husband wanted to build our cabinets, woodworking is one of his hobbies, but since I want the cabinets in this lifetime and he has little spare time think we will have to buy. I can't decide on what I want to do with the dishwasher, ADA one that is not as tall, have it raised or have one of those drawer type dishwashers. Right now my kitchen sink is 34" height and the dishwasher counter is 36" tall and I can reach it just fine.

My sink is lowered, and my dishwasher isn't. It is right next to the sink, (the one that was already there, not anything special) and starts a short stretch of higher counter tops, so that others aren;t limited to only lower ones. I think you can see it in the picture I posted earlier, and the one below, altho that one is before the dishwasher was in place. It works fine, I have no trouble loading or unloading. The drawer ones are expensive, although I did like them.

Be sure you put in a shallow sink, so that you can still roll under, even with the lower counter. Washing up sideways isn;t fun! I had to search a bit to find one.

One thing I don;t have, and would like if my kitchen were bigger is a stretch of counter I can roll under. All of my counters have cabinets (or dishwashers ....) underneath. I do have a cutting board I can put over the sink that gives me extra room to work. Before I had a pullout cutting board that I used. I would like to have that back. (Some of the other kitchens I have seen had pullout counters as well)

And I hear you on the cabinets.... get back to me in a few years, and see if I have doors yet!

Another thing he is doing for my cabinets is pull out shelves. I'm not sure what you can tell from this picture. These shelves are actually more like drawers, with drawer fronts, and no sides. There are 4 shelves there now too. A 2nd shallow one right under the top one. It works really well. (One of the benefits of having no fronts at first. ONce I started using them, we realized there was a lot of wasted space above the middle shelf, and he was able to put another one in with out having to tear anything out. All my pans and such are over there. (Among other stuff)

eta ..... strange perspective to this picture .... my cabinets are actually square, not tilted.. LOL!
    Last edited by sjean423; 06-02-2008 at 05:32 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Well I checked the prices of the drawer type dishwashers online don't think I will be getting one of those they are expensive. Going with what I have now and like you have the lowered sink and the regular height cabinet where the dishwasher goes. I really like those pull out shelves your husband made they are nice. Right now I have a lower cabinet of drawers they are handy also.

Before we had this house I always had to wash dishes sideways its not fun. In fact this was my first dishwasher. Also cook sideways I want a stove top I can roll under also. I am hoping to have enough counter space to have a place to roll under to prepare things right now I have to use the kitchen table. Figured if I have the stove top and sink in the same area but with a counter to roll under inbetween the two that area can all be 34" and step up right past the sink for the dishwasher.

We could have a race see if we get our house built first or you get your cabinet doors first!

If you can afford the dishwashers, try two small drawer dishwashers. Keep the clean dishes in one and the dirty dishes in the other. You save lots of time and effort putting them into the cabinets. No plumbing in the attic in Tennessee, winters are too cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliya
    I want a stove top I can roll under also. I am hoping to have enough counter space to have a place to roll under to prepare things right now I have to use the kitchen table. Figured if I have the stove top and sink in the same area but with a counter to roll under inbetween the two that area can all be 34" and step up right past the sink for the dishwasher.

We could have a race see if we get our house built first or you get your cabinet doors first!
    I went with a regular drop in range. We didn't have the space for a roll under range top, and then an oven. But it is just a renovation. Mine is lowered, and has front controls. But that counter space betw the stove and sink sounds nice.

lol on the race.

Aviator .... I like that rotating dishwasher space idea! It would save a lot of time.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Here's some more stuff to consider when building a house:

Make sure the ceiling in the garage is high enough so you can fit any type of vehicle in it (like a full size van or a truck with a lift in the back).

I went and measured the outlets/and light switches in the house-the bottom of the plug-ins and telephone jack covers are at 15'' or so above the carpet and the bottom of light switch plate hits about 39'' above the floor.

Another thing I found out my mistake is to put in good quality windows that you can open easily if you want to. Like you, I wanted a bunch of windows in the house. It's so nice to open them all up and air out the house on a pretty day. We ended up replacing all but one of the windows in our house this past winter (yup it was really cold while they were working on it) because they were so drafty and I could not open them very well. We put in casement windows that open with a crank at the bottom of the window. I hope the wind isn't as big as an issue for you as it is for me. I live in a subdivision that sits outside of town with very little around it for a wind break. So when we get a day like we had yesterday, top wind gust of 47 mph or like the thunderstorm a little over a week ago with winds around 70 mph, windows with a good seal are essential.

We did a slab foundation also. Since I live in tornado alley, I also had a tornado safe room built into the house so i'll have a place to go hide if another tornado comes near the house again.

Let's not forget this post too: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=99156

I love my kitchen, but I still had kitchen envy when I saw his!!

Here's a few pics of my kitchen for some more ideas. I love to cook and of course when people come over for supper, everyone wants to be in the kitchen too, so the extra space is helpful. The counter between the stove and the sink gives me a great work area, but also allows me to slide large pots full of hot stuff over to the sink without having to worry about getting burned.

Renovated house

Attachment 22663

Attachment 22664

Attachment 22665

Attachment 22666

Attachment 22667
    Here are some pics of the Kitchen & bath just done.All my cabinets are lowered (Home Depot). I also have pull out cutting boards on each side to chop or lay pots on. My shower is built in with lots of room. I like the vanity instead of the pedestal sink because I have stuff. Hope this helps as the pics are not that good.

Thanks for posting the picutes really gives me some ideas on how I want mine. I really want a cutting board under my oven probably something I would never have thought of. I have thought of the light switches and thermostat since my husband will be doing the electrics that won't be a problem. I really like how the shower has the opening on the corner think that looks nice. All of you have nice kitcens and baths.

As for the tornado room right now I use my roll in shower not sure if that is a good idea and I do get tired of sitting in there till the storm passes lol.