Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Having a house built

If possible, walk, or roll, out basements can do the trick. We built in 1993 a single level house with basement that has ground level doors. Every entrance, garage, front door and basement doors, are basically level, just the door jam makes a bump.

I'm a quad, so I don't physically cook and get stuff in/out of cupboards, so no help there.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliya

I never thought to use the search engine here not that familar with this website yet. I loved the tile in the shower from that one url. I tried doing a search for the "show me your bathroom" thread but haven't found it yet.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=59550

(I found this one by clicking on her name, and view public profile. Then I clicked on "all threads started by ...." since I knew she started the thread.)

Also have you seen this thread?

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...light=bathroom

ps .... be careful, once you start searching out old threads, you are lost surfing for a LONG time. LOL!

My counters are half at 34" and half at 36". My sink is lower and I have a drop in range that is 34". The oven is below it, like typical but some people here have side ovens.

(like here: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...hlight=kitchen )

I can just reach the very front of the bottom shelf of my upper cabinets. We mostly keep stuff here that is either extra/backup or things I would only use if there were more people around anyway. We have a very handy corner cabinet that holds TONS! The shelves are turntables. This picture is from when it was being installed. It eventually will have doors. I like the idea of the moving upper cabinets, but they are too expensive.

Last edited by sjean423; 05-29-2008 at 10:30 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

sneek peek of my shower room

Here is a sneek peek of my new renovated roll-in shower to a shower room. I am still waiting on the entry shower door when I begin a new string with the complete shower room finished. These pictures are during the revnotion phase and more has been added since they were taken. It turned out excellent!

titanium4motion

Okay, I got lost searching here. And I found some stuff I hadn;t found before. KLD posted this link on Tips .... Accessible House

And this thread had a lot of information, and some more links.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...om+sink+shower

And here are 2 more ....

(and the 3st post in that thread has even more links.......)

And I have now officially gotten myself lost here.
    Last edited by sjean423; 05-29-2008 at 10:04 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I have never heard of water pipes in the attic but will check it out online. I knew slabs were common in florida but just assumed the plumbing was in the slab.

Nice shower room titanium4motion much better than that tiny roll in shower you mentioned. I like looking at pictures it helps give me ideas.

Thanks for listing all the threads sjean your right I have been lost looking at old threads lol. Checked back to see if anymore response on this post and now I have pictures to look at.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions.

Before pictures

When I post the before pictures you will fall out of your 'chair! The old roll in shower was unaccessible. I don't know why I live with it so long and why I waited until the shower floor cracked and started to leak. It was 1988 when the first roll-in shower was constructed. Back then no one had guidelines to follow like today.

The shower room is not done yet.

titanium4motion

bought a smaller house after the last child moved out. Had The entire thing re-done(4 yrs ago). As a woman I wanted it all done right for me but still looking good. My biggest problems were my Husband & builder. Pay attention to small details like plugs (height), light switches, ect. Had my front ramp put in the garage. It is a challenge getting it all done but worth it. I have been a para for 31 yrs and this is my easiest house. Now I am working on the gardens Good luck & I hope all comes out wonderful

Consider putting in a trench style drain like titanium4motion has in his shower. Definitely worth it.

Thanks lyndy30 just hope we are not worn out before the house is finished. We are not using a builder and my husband will be doing the wiring so that will save but its going to be time consuming we don't plan on having the house completed for nine months after we break ground but who knows with the building slump it might be sooner.

When I saw titanium4motion's trench type drain I knew that was something I wanted really tired of mopping water after I shower.

I have gotten so many ideas looking at pictures of kitchens and baths on this forum. You guys have some nice homes and the guy (can't recall his name) who has the house with the long concrete ramp down to the water has my dream home. Its a beautiful place but not anything I could ever afford. I would love to live by the water but at least we will have three acres of woods behind us instead of a neighbors house.

I am afraid of forgetting little details that can annoy you once the house is completed and you realize you forgot. Like with this house one of the things that wasn't major but annoying was the outdoor faucets. We just didn't even think of asking the builder to place them near the drive or sidewalk instead it was on the front of the house. Once we landscaped the faucet was behind the bushes so I couldn't water anything out front. Like I said it wasn't major just really annoying when I wanted to water something and my husband wasn't home to turn the water on.

I have thought of light switches, thermostat, remote ceiling fans. I need to make a list.

Another thought. You want an attached garage, with room to get in your vehicle. So you can get in and out of the car with out worrying about the weather. (We don;t. If it is really nasty, I usually skip the trip).

And I can relate to the fact that it will be time consuming as you will be doing some of the work yourselves.

You will notice that I said my turntable cabinet will have a door ..... my kitchen mods have been over a year in the making. My husband is doing it in his spare time, and there isn;t a lot of that! (To go along with the "spare" money we are using to pay for it, LOL)
    Last edited by sjean423; 05-31-2008 at 12:05 AM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005