Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: x-core

x-core

how come nobody ever mentions these anymore? i remember somebody sayin they creeked or something one time. aren't they supposed to be lightweight or are they just old skool?

They are more for appearance than performance. They are not particularly lightweight and use a rivnut mounted handrim which makes them harder to grip. The first generation were also more likely to fail at the hub Spartech is having better success with their Shox solid tires and may be focusing more of their efforts there.

I still use mine (circa 2000) & they're holding up well. They aren't as light as Spinergys, but they're not heavy either. The handrim mounting hasn't affected grip-ability, and I've used these, LXs, and standard Sun wheels... the X-Cores just look different & I like 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    I still use mine (circa 2000) & they're holding up well. They aren't as light as Spinergys, but they're not heavy either. The handrim mounting hasn't affected grip-ability, and I've used these, LXs, and standard Sun wheels... the X-Cores just look different & I like 'em.
    It's more of a para, normal hand function, anodized handrim issue. A rivnut mounted handrim has a smaller diameter than a tab mount and, in many instances, a smaller gap with the wheel. This means the muscles of the hand and wrist have to work harder and the joints are positioned at more extreme angles when grabbing the wheel. This can increase the risk for repetitive strain injury. Quickie's rivnut spoke wheel is a prime example.

If you have limited hand function, run MTB tires, and have coated rims, it would be less of a issue because you are relying on friction more than grip to hold the handrim when pushing.

I have a pair on my old wheelchair and like the X Cores, they do look very cool and were very rigid with little flex. Not really too heavy.

I know have Spinergys on my current Quickie GTX and really like them even better than X Cores, very light and feels like I'm just coasting alone on a cloud of air. The Yellow Spokes look great too.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee
    I have a pair on my old wheelchair and like the X Cores, they do look very cool and were very rigid with little flex. Not really too heavy.

I know have Spinergys on my current Quickie GTX and really like them even better than X Cores, very light and feels like I'm just coasting alone on a cloud of air. The Yellow Spokes look great too.
    yea, i remember the pics. yellow spinergys with the yellow frame looks really sharp to me.

i almost went yellow but was worried of the brightness so i went white on my eclipse. shoulda went with my first instincts....Yaller is still one of my favorite colors.

when i first started lookin' at chairs i don't remember spinergys so much. seems like x-cores were more like mags for a wheelchair.
    Last edited by rollin64; 05-29-2008 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    I pretty much ditto that. I have used X-Cores for years with no difficulties and don't personally know anyone who has had any trouble. They aren't the lightest anymore, but they still look cool.

C.

i ran them for a few years prior to running spinergys. they look cool. imo nothing compares to lx's
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    It's more of a para, normal hand function, anodized handrim issue. A rivnut mounted handrim has a smaller diameter than a tab mount and, in many instances, a smaller gap with the wheel. This means the muscles of the hand and wrist have to work harder and the joints are positioned at more extreme angles when grabbing the wheel. This can increase the risk for repetitive strain injury. Quickie's rivnut spoke wheel is a prime example.

If you have limited hand function, run MTB tires, and have coated rims, it would be less of a issue because you are relying on friction more than grip to hold the handrim when pushing.
    That's a stretch. The difference in handrim diameter is negligible, especially considering this is a non-issue with users who opt for different wheel sizes anyway. Yes, the gap between handrim & wheel is a little smaller, but it's not bad, plus it's easy to space it out more if needed. As for running MTB tires... sure... but I ran Primos on X-Cores for years. Additionally, I have anodized handrims on another wheelset.

Point: I respectfully disagree.

IMO I think the Spinergys are the way to go having owned both. I even like the Spinergys as Handcycle wheels, cant beat em.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred