Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probiotics

Probiotics

Interesting article on shelf life of live active cultures in Canada.

Disparaging article on Dannon's Activia yogurt line.

Research that caught my eye: Probiotics in Weight Loss.

I love my Activia yogurt! I recently tried Yoplait with immuniti as well. I prefer the Activia but the Yoplait actually made me feel better (it may be that I'm not flushing a 'stagnant' tunneled catheter in my chest though - my nurse says it's infected although there's nothing around the entry-way on my skin).

Regardless, I think more probiotics are missing from my diet and can only see the benefits, especially during those times when I have to take antibiotics. I think this could be quite beneficial to those of us paralyzed who rely on parastalsis and the sphincter reflex to aid in digestion and evacuation.

I'm interested in others' opinions on probiotics. Maybe it's all just a placebo effect!
    Last edited by lynnifer; 05-28-2008 at 03:37 AM.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I take a Probiotic/Acidopholis supplement with my others. No big change, but I went thru a complete diet change and stuff as well.
    nikki
    T6 complete since Oct, 2001
    TiLite ZRa, Spinergy LX 24", Shox Firm tires, 3" volcanic glare rollerblade wheels for casters

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    Maybe it's all just a placebo effect!
    DOn;t knock the placebo effect ..... I depend on it regularly!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I'm a big yogurt fan and have my son(s) eat some as often as possible.

Plus, I keep a bottle of acidophilus capsules on hard and dispense them as needed. I find they lessen the severity of digestive woes/whatnots. I also give them to my son whenever he has to take antibiotics or his digestive system is felling off kilter.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

I eat that Activia yogurt and take a probiotic supplement everyday. After my colon surgery, my GI doc told me to start eating these to keep good bacteria in my small intestine. Plus, its good if you are on long-term antibiotic therapy.

Jessie

I know the Immunitas bacillus works because I can't eat it. Hubs grabbed it instead of Activia once. Like a doofus, I ate it, I think one in the morning for 3 days. It stoked my immune system and flared the Graves disease up BAD. Should be great for normal/depressed immune systems.

Activia seems to work too. I'm just a fan of fermented dairy in all its incarnations.

Every time I eat yogurt, I end up having messy accidents either later that day or the next day so I do the best I can to avoid it. I think I'm becoming lactose intolerant. Whenever I have a protein shake these days, my stomach blows up and a lot of times I'll feel uncomfortable for the rest of the day. It's really of noxious.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

My PCP turned me on to Align. A package is 4 sheets and each is labeled by day (sound familiar ladies? LOL). It comes with a calendar to mark how each day went intestinal wise and includes a space for possible cues like antibiotics, greasy or spicey food, milk, etc. I'm trying this probiotic thing to try and drop the nasty orange junk I take for my IBS-D. Align is supposed to be good for IBS-D or IBS-C, possible lactose problems, blow outs from no where and "why can't I go" conditions and questions. More at www.AlignGI.com. It is OTC and no I don't sell it.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I thought I would resurrect this thread as I really couldn't find one specifically related to which probiotic is the most effective. My suspicion is that it all depends on each individual's needs. But was wondering what is your probiotic of choice?

For the last four years I've been eating Activia daily, but the rounds and rounds of antibiotics to treat UTIs has been like napalm to my G.I. tract and I'm trying to get back in alignment. I know the most common, Align, Culturalle, and Phillips Colon Health, but nothing in terms of increased fiber or the Activia has returned my digestive tract back to normal. From my research one thing that some studies have shown is that the probiotic and Activia may sometimes have a hard time surviving the stomach acid and making its way all the way to the large intestine. I have also read where introducing probiotics into your diet may actually prevent UTIs from developing by improving your body's own immune system. Anybody experienced this?

As always thank you for your input!

Here's what I take when I'm on antibiotics after surgery. It really works well. There are 5 different cultures in each tablet, and a coating that protects the cultures from stomach acid. It might be pricey if used as an everyday supplement, but for when one is on abx, it's great.

http://www.drugstore.com/accuflora-a...ilus/qxp221322
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawdog14 View Post
    I thought I would resurrect this thread as I really couldn't find one specifically related to which probiotic is the most effective. My suspicion is that it all depends on each individual's needs. But was wondering what is your probiotic of choice?

For the last four years I've been eating Activia daily, but the rounds and rounds of antibiotics to treat UTIs has been like napalm to my G.I. tract and I'm trying to get back in alignment. I know the most common, Align, Culturalle, and Phillips Colon Health, but nothing in terms of increased fiber or the Activia has returned my digestive tract back to normal. From my research one thing that some studies have shown is that the probiotic and Activia may sometimes have a hard time surviving the stomach acid and making its way all the way to the large intestine. I have also read where introducing probiotics into your diet may actually prevent UTIs from developing by improving your body's own immune system. Anybody experienced this?

As always thank you for your input!
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!