Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Stem Cell Patient Praises Maverick Indian Doctor

Thanks a ton for the information. Your right that I want to do something my life is passing by and this is really holding me back, with no timeline to say in a year I will be able to get better or if I had the money I could get better or if I knew more I could better are all things that hit me in the face every morning. I sure you have answered questions like this several times over. What is the best therapy to align onself with so when one has a breakthru you can be setup to have it done? I don't know if that can be answered because there are so many things going but for a complete sci in the US what can be done.
    I am existing right now, I would give anything to live again.

Quote Originally Posted by SethO
    Thanks a ton for the information. Your right that I want to do something my life is passing by and this is really holding me back, with no timeline to say in a year I will be able to get better or if I had the money I could get better or if I knew more I could better are all things that hit me in the face every morning. I sure you have answered questions like this several times over. What is the best therapy to align onself with so when one has a breakthru you can be setup to have it done? I don't know if that can be answered because there are so many things going but for a complete sci in the US what can be done.

I'm pretty sure the answer's gonna be keep healthy and support funding in congress.

Quote Originally Posted by SethO

SethO,

In my opinion, there is no single therapy that can or will produce a "cure", today or in the near future. It will have to be combination therapy, several therapies addressing multiple obstacles to regeneration. So, if you must "align" yourself with something or some group, do it with a group that has a commitment or is most likely to assess combination therapies.

I am not sure that you need to "align" yourself with any group. When a clinical trial becomes available, people can volunteer for it. If it is successful, this means that the therapy will be approved and become available. Note that while you are on one clinical trial, that may rule you out for another clinical. So sometimes, waiting is not a bad idea.

The therapies that are being offered by Beike Biotech, Geeta Shroff, Hongyun Huang, Lifeline, and others are all single therapies. While some of these may be producing some improvements, I don't think that any one of them have produced recovery that would warrant going overseas for these therapies.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    SethO,

In my opinion, there is no single therapy that can or will produce a "cure", today or in the near future. It will have to be combination therapy, several therapies addressing multiple obstacles to regeneration. So, if you must "align" yourself with something or some group, do it with a group that has a commitment or is most likely to assess combination therapies.

I am not sure that you need to "align" yourself with any group. When a clinical trial becomes available, people can volunteer for it. If it is successful, this means that the therapy will be approved and become available. Note that while you are on one clinical trial, that may rule you out for another clinical. So sometimes, waiting is not a bad idea.

The therapies that are being offered by Beike Biotech, Geeta Shroff, Hongyun Huang, Lifeline, and others are all single therapies. While some of these may be producing some improvements, I don't think that any one of them have produced recovery that would warrant going overseas for these therapies.

Wise.

Hi Dr. Young, we are very lucky to have you try to help us, and I KNOW AT THE END YOU WILL SUCCEED. When you say that it has to be a combination therapy to work, can you name the combination that you think it will be best to make it work?

thank u,manouli.

Quote Originally Posted by manouli
    Hi Dr. Young, we are very lucky to have you try to help us, and I KNOW AT THE END YOU WILL SUCCEED. When you say that it has to be a combination therapy to work, can you name the combination that you think it will be best to make it work?

thank u,manouli.
    manouli,

I don't have a crystal ball. I can only go by what the data suggests. I have, however, learned that the best therapies often come from the most unexpected sources. Don't be fooled by all the hype. The answer is often easier and faster than we think, often right in front of our eyeballs and we can't see it.

For example, I just attended an umbilical cord blood symposium in LA. This meeting was full of interesting revelations. First, people are beginning to report cases of cures of multiple sclerosis and diabetes in people who have developed leukemia and were treated with umbilical cord blood cells to replace their bone marrow cells after chemotherapy. If true, this will turn a lot of diseases upside down in terms of therapeutic intervention. Second, simple drugs like lithium are turning out to be surprisingly effective against disease like amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. A year ago, I was desparing that there would be any treatment of ALS, SMA, etc. and now the recent discovery that lithium stops motoneuronal degeneration has transformed the field. Third, the disovery that stem cells are anti-immune is interesting. In Philadelphia, I heard Dr. Irv Weissman talk about CD47 and how this marker on cells may mean "Don't Eat Me" to other cells... So, I don't pretend to understand nature and all that it does but I am alway prepared to be surprised. it is only when you are surprised that is a true disovery. If it is something that you expected, then it is not a discovery. But, if it is something beyond your imagination, that is a real discovery. That is what good science is all about.

Wise.

So, I don't pretend to understand nature and all that it does but I am alway prepared to be surprised. it is only when you are surprised that is a true disovery. If it is something that you expected, then it is not a discovery. But, if it is something beyond your imagination, that is a real discovery. That is what good science is all about.

Wise.

I'm no scientist but I agree with this sentiment completely. And thats what annoys me so much about the concrete dogmatic ideas about the who, what, and where's the cure will come from and how it will appear. even science has its elements of creativity that can cause the most amazing outcomes. so, sometimes even science can be more art than science.

I just wish scientist everywhere were more free to let there creativity flow. imagine the ideas in some of these guy's heads...

Third, the disovery that stem cells are anti-immune is interesting.
    Dr Young,

Are you talking about embryonic stem cells? What exactly it means?

Thank you,
    Marcus

Excerpts from an interview with Dr. Shroff:

She's certain that the criticism she's attracted is due to sour grapes from Western scientists consigned to labs, toiling over transgenic (not purely human) stem cell lines. Their refusal to acknowledge that the technology is ready for use on humans is financially motivated, she says, adding: "Anyone who's first is controversial, and I'm a woman, an Indian woman, and not a grey-haired woman."

"My ready-to-use injections should be made available in pharmaceutical companies around the world, as easily as insulin or any antibiotic."

"What irks the medical establishment, though, is that Dr Shroff hasn't disclosed what exactly these injections contain, in peer-review journals. Her defence: "What's peer, who's peer? Where do I have a colleague who understands what I do?"

Dr Shroff says, is that instead of publishing in journals and exposing her work to "rubbishing and theft", she's applied for a patent to protect her research. With a touch of asperity, she exclaims, "I don't know what upbringin (Western scientists) have to speak out of turn when they don't know me or my work. Remember," she adds, "I'm a doctor as well as a scientist. They may be capable scientists who understand what goes on in the lab, but they don't know how to get it into a clinic. They're doing research, but they're all doing research on rats, on mice! That's the difference between them and me."

http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp...ctor+(F)&sid=1

She seems a little too hostile. that can really hurt credibility. And she brings up money as if she's doing her procedure for free. I'm not against her or her work but I feel she should have been more tactful..

Quote Originally Posted by chasb
    Excerpts from an interview with Dr. Shroff:

She's certain that the criticism she's attracted is due to sour grapes from Western scientists consigned to labs, toiling over transgenic (not purely human) stem cell lines. Their refusal to acknowledge that the technology is ready for use on humans is financially motivated, she says, adding: "Anyone who's first is controversial, and I'm a woman, an Indian woman, and not a grey-haired woman."

"My ready-to-use injections should be made available in pharmaceutical companies around the world, as easily as insulin or any antibiotic."

"What irks the medical establishment, though, is that Dr Shroff hasn't disclosed what exactly these injections contain, in peer-review journals. Her defence: "What's peer, who's peer? Where do I have a colleague who understands what I do?"

Dr Shroff says, is that instead of publishing in journals and exposing her work to "rubbishing and theft", she's applied for a patent to protect her research. With a touch of asperity, she exclaims, "I don't know what upbringin (Western scientists) have to speak out of turn when they don't know me or my work. Remember," she adds, "I'm a doctor as well as a scientist. They may be capable scientists who understand what goes on in the lab, but they don't know how to get it into a clinic. They're doing research, but they're all doing research on rats, on mice! That's the difference between them and me."

http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp...ctor+(F)&sid=1

who the heck is she? LEX LUTHOR?
    Han: "We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for"