Thread: Stem Cell Patient Praises Maverick Indian Doctor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stem Cell Patient Praises Maverick Indian Doctor

Stem Cell Patient Praises Maverick Indian Doctor

Last Edited: Monday, 26 May 2008, 8:21 PM EDT
    Created: Monday, 26 May 2008, 8:21 PM EDT

05/26/2008 --
    A man who is paralysed from the neck down says he can now breathe on his own after having controversial embryonic stem cell treatment in India.

Perry Cross is the most high profile patient to have travelled to India to be injected with embryonic stem cells which are banned in his own country Australia - and most of the West.

He was left a quadriplegic after being injured playing rugby when just 19 years old and has no movement below his neck. He has to be connected to a ventilator to breathe and has spent the past 14 years searching for treatment which might help him regain any movement.

Mr Cross met Superman actor Christopher Reeve and became the actor's ambassador for stem cell research in Australia. He has spoken at the United Nations and is a regular contributor to television and radio debates on the virtues of stem cell research. He set up a Foundation to raise money to help find new ways to fight paralysis which is supported by star Australian cricketer Adam Gilchrist.

He told Sky News; "After 14 years of no change at all since my accident, I can now breathe on my own. You know, you put your lottery numbers in every week and I feel by coming here, my lottery numbers have finally come up."

It took a huge leap of faith to travel to India. The doctor who is administering the stem cells is a controversial figure in her own country and abroad. Dr Geeta Shroff is viewed as a bit of a maverick within the medical world because of her fierce determination to do her work under her own terms and in her own way.

She researched and developed her treatment without any grants or financial help and virtually single-handedly developed it over two years, beginning the work in a small lab she set up in her garage.

more.....

http://www.myfoxchattanooga.com/myfo...Y&pageId=3.4.1

I hate to sound like a downer but "damn, only breathing improvement"?

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...top-story.html

The team of carers who look after him 24/7 have been amazed at his progress in the past two months since he travelled to India and started receiving daily injections.
    ``This is massive,'' said one, "We have tried so many times over the years to get him off the ventilator but never could. It's amazing."
    Mr Cross says he is hopeful that with more stem cell treatment he may even be able to develop movement elsewhere in his body.
    "Even if I managed to move a finger or one hand, it would be worth it," he says.
    Under Indian law, Dr Shroff is allowed to treat the terminally ill and those with incurable conditions such as Parkinson's Disease, spinal injury and Alzheimers.

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42
    "Only breathing"...what a statement. Breathing is kind of important, don't you think? Living tethered to a ventilator like Perry Cross was is like having life and death hanging over you every moment of the day. I am vent dependent and I don't dream about walking or using my hands again. I dream about "just" breathing on my own again. I think its absolutely fantastic news for him and for others who are ventilator dependent as a result fo their spinal cord injury.

I see what you're saying now
    I understand that

I see what you're saying now
    I understand that
    My response to you came out harsher than I intended it to. I apologize for that.

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello
    "Only breathing"...what a statement. Breathing is kind of important, don't you think? Living tethered to a ventilator like Perry Cross was is like having life and death hanging over you every moment of the day. I am vent dependent and I don't dream about walking or using my hands again. I dream about "just" breathing on my own again. I think its absolutely fantastic news for him and for others who are ventilator dependent as a result fo their spinal cord injury.
    Hi - I know this post is old, but did you ever look into phrenic nerve stimulators? I'm a C2-C3 and I've been using them since 1981. I would be happy to answer any questions about phrenic nerve pacemakers. I would highly recommend that you pursue the matter. Pacing has made a HUGE difference in my life.

Chuck

Chuck

well I guess you never been on a respirator. To get rid of that is like a complete different world. Been there done that. I was on one 3 months they were not sure if I would ever be off of one. C3 complete... Chris would have done anything to lose the respirator.
    keiffer66

improvement after 14 years. that sounds promising. I do think though that it is time greeta sheroff provides some more info on her procedure. How long can you go with out publicly stating what it is your doing and atleast some rudimentary explanation about the results you have observed both positive and negative..

I gotta say I've been a big proponent for experimental procedures because i believe if valid to me its a much more efficient and productive route as opposed to the long expensive clinical trial route. but the lack of real info and some form of formal follow up is really helping no one. if you are really trying to help people in need (and make a nice profit while at it) theres no better promtion than giving yourself more validity. thats why these procedures continue to be looked on as seedy.... newspaper articles just aren't enough to validate yourself.