Thread: What happened to Diapulse's electromagnetic energy?

What happened to Diapulse's electromagnetic energy?

Alternative Medicine and Spinal Cord Injury: Beyond the Banks of the Mainstream

By Laurance Johnston, Ph.D.

Excerpt from "Chapter 7: Electromagnetic Healing"

"Dr. Wise Young of New York showed that Diapulse reduces calcium at the injury site in cats injured through impact (an injury that resembles most human SCI). Because calcium causes secondary neuronal cell death, this Diapulse-induced reduction lessened neurological damage, and in turn preserved function (13-15). Specifically, Young reported that (a) the majority of cats treated by Diapulse were walking four months after surgery compared to none in the control group, and (b) the device was superior to treatment with the steroid methylprednisolone, now considered a postinjury standard." - pages 122-123

Hi Roshni!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Has anybody read this book? I just came across this thread and thought that this might open new ways of approaching different problems. If I could, for example, reduce my nerve pain without all the terrible side effects of drugs, it would be great. I think I will try to get this book.

I am now almost through with this book and find it sooo fascinating. Anybody else reading it and interested in discussing it? Why aren't all these wonderful and promising therapies routinely practiced on us??? There seems to be so much more than just screwing our broken spines together, feeding us pills with terrible side effects and then leaving us pretty much alone with our problems. I am just angry that these therapies don't make it into the ICU's and rehab centers, since all these studies seem to proof their high effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Regine
    I am now almost through with this book and find it sooo fascinating. Anybody else reading it and interested in discussing it? Why aren't all these wonderful and promising therapies routinely practiced on us??? There seems to be so much more than just screwing our broken spines together, feeding us pills with terrible side effects and then leaving us pretty much alone with our problems. I am just angry that these therapies don't make it into the ICU's and rehab centers, since all these studies seem to proof their high effectiveness.
    Hi Regine,

When not even Dr. Young, who's quoted in/by the OP, chooses to reply and when practically no one has read the book (I'll check Amazon for reviews) and when electromagnetic therapies are regarded as being so far out of the mainstream of "conventional therapeutic research" that they can garner little grant money, well, when all these things are relevant, is it that surprising that this topic has languished these past months?
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Hi Steve, I guess my English is not good enough to understand your message. Do you mean that the topic isn't really that relevant and I am naiv to be so fascinated by it, or do you mean it's just so beyond the mainstream and the money oriented interests that it's unfortunately being neglected?? Sorry for the language problem. BTW there is more in the book than just electromegnetic therapy. Let me know what you found at amazon.

Wow! I have heard about a Diapulse machine for years. I had one to treat pressure sores and it was amazing. A blast from the past.

I have commented on these issues several times before. This book unfortunately cites preliminary results that I have reported to the company in the early 1980's. It fails to mention that I was unable to replicate the results in further experiments. The results were never published.

I do think that the treatment does help improve the healing rate of decubutus ulcers and don't understand why this was not pushed further. Unfortunately, the company did not have money to support the research and we were unable to get grants for further studies.

Wise.

Do you still have the diapluse or any of the literature? I am looking for a manual and a part for a D103.

The Diapulse and this thread are a blast from the past!