Thread: ZR/ZRa adjustability, sideguard questions

ZR/ZRa adjustability, sideguard questions

I'm looking at a ZR or ZRa. I'm currently in a TE Terminator Titanium Everyday. I'd like more dump (currently 1") and more length (I'm a 5'7" female, short waisted, mostly legs).

Here are my questions:

It looks like the ZR axle position can be adjusted 1.25" back or forward from the specification, while the ZRA axle position can be anywhere. Is that right?

The literature says that the rear and front STF height on the ZRA is adjustable, but I'm not understanding how that's done - by lengthening the tubes from the footplate to the downtubes?

Sideguards - I have had a Quicke GPV with the sideguards that fit into a bracket on the siderails, and I hated those. I hated taking them out in order to fold down the back, and the bracket rotates so that I was always having to whack the sideguards back into position.

I love my current sideguards, which are fixed to the backrest tubes and have a slot so that they just slide down as backrest is folded, but TiLite doesn't seem to offer that kind. I'd really like sideguards that are fixed to the backrest tubes, but I'd also like a foldable back. I saw the DUs for fixed back, fixed sideguards, so that might be an option if I'm willing to give up folding the back. I never fold down the back myself, but if my husband or kids load the chair in the back of the station wagon, they like to be able to fold it.

I'd also like advice on whether adding dump will mean I don't need to add length. I'm currently in a 16x16 chair with a 90 degree front angle, and am constantly scooting my cushion forward to get a little more support under the legs. I turned the footrest on the current chair around so that it's behind the downtubes, not in front.

I'm thinking about going to 3.5" dump, 16 x 17, with Frog Legs.

Oh, one more question - one of the reasons I went with the Top End Terminator rather than the Quickie Ti was the rounded bend at the back - the Ti camber tube hardware looked like it would destroy the car seat upholstery, and so does the ZRa hardware. Anybody have any problem with that?

I've read through past ZR/ZRa threads and have learned so much, but there's still stuff I'm having trouble visualizing. Thanks so much.

The front STF height of a ZRa can be adjusted, but parts are required to do it. TiLite make a number of different height stem bolts and spacers to change the front STF height. As we know TiLite parts are expensive, so it would be best to get it right the first time.

The bracket for the rigid side guards on the ZR/ZRa have a dowel pin that inserts into a hole in the frame, so you don't have to worry about rotation.

TiLite does make flip down side guards which don't attach to the backrest post. They fold inward onto the seat upholstery.

I have small aluminum side guards, 25" Spinergy's, 2 degrees of camber, and 1" wheel spacing on my ZRc. I was able to get the back to fold down without removing the sideguards by spacing the sideguard panel 1/8" away from the post, and putting two very slight bends in the back corner. I tighten down the screws in the mounting bracket so they are essentially fixed...

With the ZR's camber tube clamps, I reversed them so that the rounded portion faced the back. I did this because I spec'd my COG too conservative and needed to move my axle forward, but having the rounded surface at the back was a nice benefit. To make the surface even smoother, I rounded off the bottom corners of the camber plugs with a Dremel tool, put some anti-skid foam on the clamp, and stuck 1.25" (ID) rubber grommets at each end of the camber tube.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 05-26-2008 at 06:10 PM.

More dump won't add more-length to the frame, but the TiLite frame may be an inch or so shorter than a comparable Terminator frame.

If you know specifically what changes would make your Terminator perfect, have you considered getting a Crossfire Titanium? It would replicate the dimensions of your Terminator, is available with the same sideguards you use now, and would probably cost hundreds less. So long as you know your rear STF height, the Crossfire Titanium is an excellent value.

The one thing that is putting me off going with another Invacare is the D's locks. When I got mine, Steve was muttering imprecations against Invacare/TopEnd and saying he wasn't going to make locks for their chairs anymore. I should check.

maybe aughtta go with watcha got or similar.

i went tighter and having more probs.

i'm changin' my train of thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja
    The one thing that is putting me off going with another Invacare is the D's locks. When I got mine, Steve was muttering imprecations against Invacare/TopEnd and saying he wasn't going to make locks for their chairs anymore. I should check.
    The Crossfire uses a standard camber tube. I looked at the pics of the Terminator posted on your Flickr site, and it looks like you might have the axle for the adjustable camber inserts. You would want to check with Steve, but it should be easier to install them with the standard camber tube.

You may want to ask what wheels he would recommend. How the locking ring mounts to the hub makes a difference on how easy they will be to install. The smaller the recess at the back of the hub, the easier it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    it looks like you might have the axle for the adjustable camber inserts. You would want to check with Steve, but it should be easier to install them with the standard camber tube.
    I do. Thank you for pointing out the difference. I'll check with Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja
    Are the diameters of the TiLite and Top End camber tubes different? I would have assumed they were the same and that the same D's Locks adapters would fit both chairs. What's the basis of Steve's imprecations against Invacare?

I've just heard back from Steve. He does have adapters for the Crossfire.

The Top End adjustable camber inserts have a funky cross section. The first set of adapters I got for my Terminator didn't fit properly. I sent them back to Steve and he immediately sent a pair that are fine.

Having the adjustable camber inserts has been nice - they provide 2 camber settings in one tube. You just pull out the insert, flip it end for end and put it back in. I use 3 degrees everyday, and 0 degrees for Europe, where doors are narrower.