Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: losing aide that knows bowel care

Quote Originally Posted by D.Woodingham
    Yep, that's how my BP works too. Recently it has been a disaster though. Since my new helper says she has a very difficult time inserting the suppository while I'm sitting on the commode/shower bench, I now have her insert it when I'm in the bed and then I go in the bathroom and transfer. The problem is that she is very very slow in helping me get prepared to transfer to the commode, and today I ended up pooping midway point between my powerchair and the commode bench during a transfer attempt. I ended up shitting on the floor and on the right side of the chair. Apparently, she didn't do a good job removing the feces from the crevices of my right motor and tire treads, so now my bedroom is starting to smell like shit.

She's definitely NOT of average intelligence, and I have to constantly prompt and remind her on what to do, and also monitor her as well so that she doesn't screw up. Very annoying and distracting to say the least. It's as if she is totally unable to retain the simplest of instructions. It's like a *new* learning experience for her every time she arrives here, and she's been here for nearly four months now!
    I've got an aide like that now too. Kinda like groundhog day.
    Teaching it to her over & over.

How about filling out your profile so we know more about you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels
    I've got an aide like that now too. Kinda like groundhog day.
    Teaching it to her over & over.
    I bet this really sucks! Sounds like your aide is not too bright either? This distraction annoys me because while all of my attention is focused on her, I tend to lose concentration on other matters and forget some things that need to be done...usually, she's gone by then.

How about filling out your profile so we know more about you.
    Done. PM me if you need or want more info.
    Last edited by D.Woodingham; 10-06-2008 at 12:24 PM.

I bet this really sucks! Sounds like your aide is not too bright either? This distraction annoys me because while all of my attention is focused on her, I tend to lose concentration on other matters and forget some things that need to be done...usually, she's gone by then.
    You know I think that's why they don't learn it, and mope slowly along.
    Then we'll forget something and they won't have to do it.
    But I fixed that. I wrote out everything that has to be done.
    From #1 cut off the front porch light when you come in to
    #99 cut off the lights as you leave.
    They read the paper as they work and before they leave have to make sure everything on the list is done.
    The ones that care and want to do things right like it.

Done. PM me if you need or want more info.
    Thanks!

You know I think that's why they don't learn it, and mope slowly along. Then we'll forget something and they won't have to do it.
    This was certainly the case with a couple of aides I've had in the past! I've met more than my share of lazy, half-slick "helpers."

But I fixed that. I wrote out everything that has to be done.
    From #1 cut off the front porch light when you come in to
    #99 cut off the lights as you leave.
    LOL. I thought about doing that too, but didn't do so for fear that they would think that I'm insulting their already low intelligence and making them feel dumb and stupid. Hell, a lot of them *ARE* that way need that type of *item list instructions* to help them along the way.

Well they're not insulted because they know I already had the pca's using the list before them. Other words I didn't make it for them.
    I'm c7 and things have to be placed within reach, and where I can get it.
    Simple things like ropes on door knobs for me to shut doors, food in fridge in spot where I can reach, etc is the difference in burning up and not being able to eat. So if they forget my day is shot.

It's as if she is totally unable to retain the simplest of instructions. It's like a *new* learning experience for her every time she arrives here, and she's been here for nearly four months now!
    Hi D.Woodingham,

Give her the nickname "Goldie". They say everytime a goldfish swims from one side of its bowl to the other, that it's a completely new experience for it.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    Hi D.Woodingham,

Give her the nickname "Goldie". They say everytime a goldfish swims from one side of its bowl to the other, that it's a completely new experience for it.

Bob.
    Thank you!

Alan-Have you ever heard of the PCA waiver program? You hire the aides and they can do anything, no restrictions. They can be a CNA or a HHA or have no prior training beforehand but if they are hired under the PCA waiver program they can be taught by you. It doesn't even matter if they are working with another agency as a CNA and they are unable to do the bowel care there, you can still train them and have them do the bowel care with you under the PCA waiver
    Injured 08-09-98
    C4-6

-I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

... today I ended up pooping midway point between my powerchair and the commode bench during a transfer attempt. I ended up shitting on the floor and on the right side of the chair. Apparently, she didn't do a good job removing the feces from the crevices of my right motor and tire treads, so now my bedroom is starting to smell like shit.
    Can someone please advise me on how can I get rid of the smell on my wheelchair? My other helper decided to use a product called "Fabuloso All-Purpose Cleaner" to get rid of the odor, but it dosen't seem to be effective enough. Thanks.

EDIT: I just heard about deodorizers such as "Nature's Miracle" and "Natural Magic Odor Blaster," but I will need to order them and can't wait that long because I have an appointment soon.

Will white vinegar do the trick for now???
    Last edited by D.Woodingham; 10-07-2008 at 01:18 PM.

Can someone please advise me on how can I get rid of the smell on my wheelchair?...
    Try a spray bottle of pet odor remover, from the grocery store.
    - Richard