Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: losing aide that knows bowel care

Alan, after so many years post even Medicare should pay for a 5 day rehab refresher, say, at Kernan's, Sinai, Magee, Kessler at Shady Grove or NRH. Learning bowel, bladder, transfers, etc is all part of how to instruct aides. You're going to need this to live on your own or survive a nursing home. You can also get several tests scheduled at the same time.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Nothing of bowel care or cathing (save for the external and bags care, as I don't cath) was asked in original interviews. Bowel care was handled by my mother, so I'm asking for new duties.

Admittedly, my future planning stunk.

Sue, thanks for the rehab idea. I'll keep that in mind.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    I am curious about why you hire the aides you have without doing bowel care being a given part of the job. We would never do this. If they don't want to do bowel care (or caths or other essential parts of the job), or are unwilling to learn and say this in the original interview, that is as far as they get in the interviewing process. We move on to someone else. If they lie in the interview and refuse to do it later, that is grounds for termination (and stated so in the contract we have them sign).

(KLD)
    KLD are you through a agency or hospital?
    you in n or s cal?

I work in a large SCI unit (hospital) in Southern California. We have an attendant training program that we offer, but many of my clients hire people who have had no training. Our program trains our clients to be their own attendant managers. It is part of our regular services for both inpatients and outpatients.

(KLD)

a bit of laxatives or stool softners and one magic bullet and and in fifteen minutes you have poop! of course take the lax the night before. im a para but my body has gotten to the point that after 15 minutes after putting the bullet in i dont have to digitally stimulate at all. any person can be taught to insert a bullet and just wipe your booty off afterwards.

I need dig stim, with the bullet. I'm C-5, and can't insert bullet or dig stim. Question - do they need refrigeration? They're always melting here - we keep the thermostat high both to save money and because my mother and I don't handle cool well. It bites us in winter, when we keep it at 77 or 78.
    Alan

I've read a bunch of posts here that users keep them in the fridge but i myself don't use those anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by alan
    I need dig stim, with the bullet. I'm C-5, and can't insert bullet or dig stim. Question - do they need refrigeration? They're always melting here - we keep the thermostat high both to save money and because my mother and I don't handle cool well. It bites us in winter, when we keep it at 77 or 78.
    yes in the fridge

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    I am curious about why you hire the aides you have without doing bowel care being a given part of the job. We would never do this. If they don't want to do bowel care (or caths or other essential parts of the job), or are unwilling to learn and say this in the original interview, that is as far as they get in the interviewing process. We move on to someone else. If they lie in the interview and refuse to do it later, that is grounds for termination (and stated so in the contract we have them sign).

(KLD)
    Could you please post this contract, and the list of duties expected?

It doesn't help that I'm so much more dependent than I would be without my pain and shoulder problems.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by soonerborn
    a bit of laxatives or stool softners and one magic bullet and and in fifteen minutes you have poop! ...
    Yep, that's how my BP works too. Recently it has been a disaster though. Since my new helper says she has a very difficult time inserting the suppository while I'm sitting on the commode/shower bench, I now have her insert it when I'm in the bed and then I go in the bathroom and transfer. The problem is that she is very very slow in helping me get prepared to transfer to the commode, and today I ended up pooping midway point between my powerchair and the commode bench during a transfer attempt. I ended up shitting on the floor and on the right side of the chair. Apparently, she didn't do a good job removing the feces from the crevices of my right motor and tire treads, so now my bedroom is starting to smell like shit.

She's definitely NOT of average intelligence, and I have to constantly prompt and remind her on what to do, and also monitor her as well so that she doesn't screw up. Very annoying and distracting to say the least. It's as if she is totally unable to retain the simplest of instructions. It's like a *new* learning experience for her every time she arrives here, and she's been here for nearly four months now!