Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: losing aide that knows bowel care

losing aide that knows bowel care

In a month, I'm going to lose the only aide I have that knows bowel care. With the low salaries the agencies that pay the aides provide, I'm not likely to find another one who knows how to do it, and we can't afford to pay a nurse to come in.

2008 has sucked, and keeps getting worse.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Sorry for your troubles.
    Alan can't she train someone before she leaves?

Do you have to deal with an agency? Can't you hire the PCA on your own? We teach all our clients how to verbally direct their bowel care so that they can always teach their new PCAs. PCAs come and go...it is part of the deal.

In CA, HHA or CNA from agencies are not allowed to do bowel care at all, so most of our clients don't use them but hire on their own. IHSS allows you to hire anyone if they are the funding source.

You could certainly consider purchasing Accidents Stink! ($9.95) and use that as part of the training. We use it.

(KLD)

Get the word out Alan. Over-communicate through every person and channel you know. Whether it is an ad in several church bulletins (retired RN's go to church! ) or an ad in the local help wanted under care needed.
    Tear everyone's ear off and get them invested in a solution too!

Good luck!

I still can't fix it...but I still am in your corner, Alan. Hang on to hope, and keep looking out for yourself...

Take care, friend!

Teena

Run a add on Craigs list under domestics. you'll find plenty of help..

The aides were hired by me (though one paid by County, another by aid group), but didn't know how to do bowel care, and I haven't been able to convince either of them to learn. Neither source has an aide available who knows bowel care - as I said, the pay isn't great - and Medicare doesn't pay for bowel care.

I have been speaking with people - no luck so far.

Any idea what someone on Craig's List would charge? Money is a major issue, in that we have little.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Have you ever considered a colostomy?

Quote Originally Posted by alan
    Any idea what someone on Craig's List would charge? Money is a major issue, in that we have little.
    Alan,
    I've had great success with craig's list. You can always place an ad with your terms. All craigslist postings are free, except for:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/help/posting_fees

I am curious about why you hire the aides you have without doing bowel care being a given part of the job. We would never do this. If they don't want to do bowel care (or caths or other essential parts of the job), or are unwilling to learn and say this in the original interview, that is as far as they get in the interviewing process. We move on to someone else. If they lie in the interview and refuse to do it later, that is grounds for termination (and stated so in the contract we have them sign).

(KLD)