Thread: Insomnia and "Save A Blade"

Insomnia and "Save A Blade"

Okay, I couldn't sleep so started channel surfing at around 3:00 AM. I stumbled upon an infomercial about a product called "Save A Blade". It's a device that's supposed to sharpen used disposable razor blades like Gillette's Mach 3 Turbo, etc. Of course my "If it sounds too good to be true then it usually is." radar goes up and since I had nothing better to do at this hour, I Googled for a review. As though I was gonna find a reliable, truthful and accurate one, right?

Oh, here's the "Save A Blade" info/commercial if you're interested in watching it. "Ouch! Tired of getting knicked..." etc.

In my search I found this 'body hair removal' forum... geez, there's a forum for just about every weird thing in the world... and this post from a guy who was dissatisfied with a Philips electric shaver he purchased. He gave Philips' Customer Service a call and received a callback from their CS rep. I thought the conversation was hilarious.... the reason for me writing about it. Here it is:

@PLASMAMACHINE and Jason -

Yeah, seriously...as in like 'draw blood' kinda action. To be honest, I think I got a defective unit, but after that experience, there is no fucking way I will give them another shot with the nethers. I will stick to the old fashioned razor-and-goatee trimmer method, thank you very much.

The conversation with the Phillips lady was pretty damn funny though. I called on a weekend, and got a standard CSR who promised to pass my concerns on to the right people. First thing Monday morning I get a call from a nice woman at Phillips:

Me: Hello?

Her: Hi, Mr. X. This is Pam from Phillips. I understand you had an issue with a new Bodygroom razor. I'm sorry to hear that.

Me: Hi Pam. Yes, that is right. Although I would hesitate to call, having every hair around my penis and scrotum systematically ripped out by the root as well as nearly being castrated by the thing, much more than "an issue".

I then got to have a 15 minute conversation about the grooming of my cock and balls with a complete stranger of the opposite sex. Mildly amusing, despite the pain I was in.

To Phillips' credit, they took the unit back and offered to send me any Phillips/Norelco product of my choosing. I chose some high-end facial razor that I used for a week before deciding that nothing will ever be able to compete with my Fusion. And to be fair, almost every review of the thing that I have seen (or heard from friends) is positive, so I have no doubt that this is a freak incident of a bad unit going out. And I will will continue to buy Phillips/Norelco products as a result of how they handled me as a consumer. Just not, you know...for my junk.

Here's the forum's URL with replies, etc.:

http://gizmodo.com/337350/how-to-tur...gadgets-part-2

Bob.
    Last edited by bob clark; 05-25-2008 at 05:34 AM.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Disclaimer: I am briefly highjacking your thread Bob (which I apologize for). Just wanted to let you know you are not the only insomniac wide awake watching infomercials right now. Kindered spirits....

I just spent an hour watching one for the "Little Giant Ladder System" and I must admit I found it disportionately more interesting than it really should have for me

I remain skeptical of the product (one little ladder turns into 24 other ladders!) but wow it had me reeled right into wondering what ladder configuration they would show next

(Highjack over)

Im watching the time life rock ballads infomercial. It sucks not being able to sleep.

Seen the save a blade commercial and the ladder commercial.

Earlier I was watching the one about this gizmo that cooks food from frozen in a thing that looks like a dehydrator of sorts. Looks more like botulism waiting to happen to me.

I'm watching a very strange dialogue about late night/early morning crap info/disinfo tv.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Hi OrangeJello,

No need to apologize for something that I've become only too familiar with doing myself. You just need to call it a "slight digression" instead of a "hijacking"... who can argue with that?

I've seen that ladder (perhaps under a different name) being sold on early morning infomercials for years... perhaps 5 or more. I remember it had me glued to the set waiting for them to contort the contraption into yet another configuration too. Replete with endorsements from construction contractors, etc. I'm a T-4 complete and haven't moved my legs in 28 years yet found myself almost buying one. Hey, in its scaffold mode, it would make for a great clothes valet, clothes drying rack, base for a nice living room coffee table or a myriad of other "around the home" uses. It's just so versatile and I believe is warranteed until the end of all eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy13
    Earlier I was watching the one about this gizmo that cooks food from frozen in a thing that looks like a dehydrator of sorts. Looks more like botulism waiting to happen to me.
    Hi Skippy,

Just what every SCI needs... a few days bout of diarrhea! I think I saw Ron Popeil (of Ronco, "set it and forget", "But wait, there's more!", etc. fame) hawking his version of a home food dehydrator in one of his infamous early morning infomercials.

Come on Steve, you're a man who knows his way around a kitchen. I bet you have a piece of Ron Popeil merchandise in your home. Perhaps his Showtime Rotisserie or his complete set of 237 knives, cleaver and flavor injector included?

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

LOL, I've seen both the ladder and the Save-A-Blade commercials. Also over the years more Ginsu than I ever wanna shake a tomato at

These days the Internet helps and hurts mightily in the never ending game of insomnia

One wonders who actually buys some of these things....(rule of thumb, wait till Wal-Mart sells them, chances are if they made it that far they're probably somewhat useful)

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    Come on Steve, you're a man who knows his way around a kitchen. I bet you have a piece of Ron Popeil merchandise in your home. Perhaps his Showtime Rotisserie or his complete set of 237 knives, cleaver and flavor injector included?

Bob.
    You almost got me Bob. Came a christmas season when I wanted to make a bunch of custom pasta treats for the Festival of Light thrown in a big Grange meeting hall by our local chapter of the peace community I was part of then. I knew that Ron's pasta extruder was the best of a bad lot, having used and returned one just to try it out - so I went down to one of the big discount outlets in Sacramento and brought his machine home to make up my pasta treats.

Wound up with about eight different offerings for the festival along with various flavors of a Japanese beverage made from specially fermented rice with added fruit. It was a nice time and I sold quite a bit of my foodsl and got lots of compliments.

A few days later I returned the Popeil Pasta Maker to the outlet for a refund - as had been the plan all along.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

And for those of you who ARE sleeping soundly and missing out on all these great deals.... check them all out at one website...

http://www.asseenontv.com/
    AB, Husband is c5-6 inc quad, 25 years post injury.