Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 64

Thread: Help with the OpenFES Project

  1. #41
    Senior Member mattblan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    N. California
    Posts
    1,151
    Hi Bikeracer,

    My apologies for the response delay. In regard to your question about the TENS unit design, the modular version that uses the LEM current sense widget (the big blue things) is ready to be fabricated. Now that we have all graduated, we starting playing with the idea of selling these as kit, so we are going to try and reduce the size of the board and the number of parts to make it less expensive before we actually send it out to fab. Instead of one CPLD and LEM per channel, we will probably just use a single large FPGA to control about 12 channels and we will design our own circuit for current sensing. Those LEM parts were about $40 per, and they had to be imported from Germany, so we should save quite a bit of money there. Adding a large enough FPGA also allows us to do real-time adjustment of the stimulation waveform, which some of the FES researchers were asking for.

    I expect these two modifications will be made by the end of the year. Once we get the parts put on the final board, I can send you one if you are available to test.

    Happy holidays,

    Matt

  2. #42
    Hi Matt,

    I would really appreciate the chance to test one of your units once they are ready.

    Thanks

    BR

  3. #43
    No doubt Matt you are going to have a big market for these if you can keep the price below 5 grand. Keep on plugging to make it happen, sounds like you are on the right track with making the bike cost effective, this shoulda been done years ago rather than the regular like clockwork 15 grand for a FES bike.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

  4. #44
    Senior Member mattblan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    N. California
    Posts
    1,151
    Wow, do any of your cripples not code?!?

  5. #45

    in Massachusetts

    My partner is a T5 para whose insurance is about to stop covering his FES bike therapy. He used to be an electronics technician. I am an unemployed Java programmer. He would be interested in alpha or beta testing OpenFES. He would also be interested in building his own copy if you wanted to share enough of the design.

    If you are thinking of selling this as a product, are you looking to open an East Coast sales office? We live outside of Boston.

    Mary-Anne

  6. #46
    Matt, Is there a working prototype of the Bandit? Is it designed to be used from the wheelchair (a la the RTI300) or from a fixed seat (a la the ERGYS and StimMaster)?

  7. #47
    Senior Member mattblan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    N. California
    Posts
    1,151
    Quote Originally Posted by mgwmgw View Post
    My partner is a T5 para whose insurance is about to stop covering his FES bike therapy. He used to be an electronics technician. I am an unemployed Java programmer. He would be interested in alpha or beta testing OpenFES. He would also be interested in building his own copy if you wanted to share enough of the design.

    If you are thinking of selling this as a product, are you looking to open an East Coast sales office? We live outside of Boston.

    Mary-Anne
    Hi Mary-Anne,

    We could always use a good java programmer. The UI is written in Java, and right now I need to get it to talk to the Linux kernel module that controls the stimulator. I have no plans as of yet to sell anything, I just want to get a complete proof of concept. I would be interested in speaking with your partner is he is serious.

    Matt

  8. #48
    Senior Member mattblan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    N. California
    Posts
    1,151
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Matt, Is there a working prototype of the Bandit? Is it designed to be used from the wheelchair (a la the RTI300) or from a fixed seat (a la the ERGYS and StimMaster)?
    Hi Stephen,

    There is a prototype, but it has not been fully integrated. What we have so far is the ability to turn the crank on a repurposed passive arm/leg trainer, while the linux kernel module reads crank position from a rotary encoder and determines what muscle group to fire, how many pulses, and at what amplitude. The kernel will then send this information out the i2c bus to the digital tens controller where it is decoded.

    That is the basic meat of the project. We have two other pieces that need to get integrated. The Java UI needs to read and write to the kernel, and the analog tens modules need to receive signals from the digital controller.

    We are in the process of fabricating a more compact version of the TENS unit. It's basically a last mile problem at this point. We only have a few things left to do, but this last 10% is feeling like more work than the first 90%.

    Matt

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by mattblan View Post
    Wow, do any of your cripples not code?!?
    Yeah, I don't, so try speaky in English.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by mattblan View Post
    Hi Mary-Anne,

    We could always use a good java programmer. The UI is written in Java, and right now I need to get it to talk to the Linux kernel module that controls the stimulator. I have no plans as of yet to sell anything, I just want to get a complete proof of concept. I would be interested in speaking with your partner is he is serious.

    Matt
    About alpha testing an Open Source FES unit, he would be very serious.

    I tried to find the code for OpenFES. I found something on google, but it did not show signs of recent activity, so I am guessing that the current version is elsewhere. Would you care to say where?

    I also tried to track down your (Matt's) email address and I did not succeed.

Similar Threads

  1. Project Walk goes to Spain
    By Snowman in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-10-2007, 08:15 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-20-2006, 01:09 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 07:10 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-28-2002, 12:22 PM
  5. Project Walk Press Release
    By Snowman in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-23-2002, 11:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •