Thread: batteries for backup chair

batteries for backup chair

My backup chair will need new batteries soon. Where is a good place to buy them (once I figure out what kind I need), as repairs to the chair are no longer covered?

Thanks,
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Try shopping around locally, most places that sell automotive batteries carry them or can get them. Will your batteries from your primary chair fit your backup? If they do then you can switch them around as needed--the worst thing for batteries is sitting around unused.

If they are the typical wheelchair gel batteries you can get them from either
    www.spinlife.com

or

www.sportaid.com

check out BatteriesPlus they typically have good prices on all types of batteries and they do carry a lot of power chair batteries....
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

I bought a battery conditioner for my 4-wheeler battery, which was always dead from sitting. You hook it up, plug it in, leave it forever if you want. Batteries are expensive, so if it is a big hassle for you to trade batteries regularly, this will be worth the $40. I bought it, and the new battery, at Batteries Plus. If I had a spare power chair and battery, one of the batteries would always be plugged in to this thing, so I thought I'd suggest it to you. It sure is nice to have the battery constantly juiced!

http://www.batteriesplus.com/t-storeloc.aspx

"A battery conditioner is a simple, computerized device that charges, maintains, and prevents sulfation from occurring in lead batteries. Sulfation is common in batteries that sit for periods of time between uses, such as in secondary vehicles, pleasure boats, motorcycles, off-road vehicles or personal aircraft. Sulfation is the primary cause for battery failure, and is a result of repeated swings from a discharged state to a charged state, overcharging and hot climates.

Sulfation occurs when sulfuric acid or electrolyte breaks down, causing lead sulfur crystals to coat the lead plates inside the acid battery. This interferes with the battery’s ability to convert chemical energy to electricity, weakens the electrolyte solution and lessens the battery’s ability to accept a charge. Sufficiently advanced sulfation will render a battery useless, and can happen in as little as six months to a year.

A battery conditioner like Battery Minder works in a three-fold way. First, it can recondition a used battery by sending small, resonate electronic pulses through the battery to break down moderate levels of lead sulfuric crystals. This not only cleans the plates but returns the "escaped" sulfur to the electrolyte solution, revitalizing it. Secondly, the battery conditioner will charge the battery automatically whenever it falls below peak levels. Finally, it maintains this peak by monitoring the battery’s state, charging only when necessary, thereby preventing future sulfation and overcharging.

A battery conditioner requires a power source, such as an AC outlet, but uses only pennies of electricity per month. Some manufacturers also offer solar powered battery conditioners for use in locations where electricity is not readily available, such as on an airfield tarmac or dock. "

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-ba...onditioner.htm

From my expericence stay away from automotive batteries. My OEM batteries were 4 yrs old and still staying charged for 7 days. Purchased 2 new Deka gell batteries last Oct. for 1/2 the price of MK trying to save a few dollars, big mistake. Went back to store in Dec. batteries needed charging every 5 days, nothing they can do. Now down to 4 days between charging. I'd call Chesapeake or MK battery has a warehouse in Baltimore. Good Luck

It sounds like the battery conditioner is not for sealed batteries, as the link mentions that adding distilled water to the battery might be necessary?
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.