Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ambien

Ambien

I have a very hard time sleeping. Usually fall asleep around 4-5AM. I was prescribed Ambien for sleep and took 10mg around 1AM. I fall asleep well but only for 3 hours. This was typical so I started taking 20mg. This is the first time I have tried that dosage.
    Is this too much to take? Has anyone taken or anyone take Ambien? What dosages work best for you?

I do 20 mg once or twice/week. I'm a complete night owl too.

There is an XL form which is long duration. Should knock you out for more than 5 hours.

Good Luck

i used it in the hospital. was tuff trying to sleep with that stupid halo. when i left they gave me a scrip and used it at home for awhile. i got better results for taking 1 when i get up and one before bed of 1mg of ativan. i sleep about 3 or 4 hours mid day and 6 hours at night. lot cheaper of course , everybody is different to drugs.
    oh well

Ambien = a 3 hour alarm clock!

Nothing makes me drowsy or puts mee to sleep. If I'm lucky, I fall asleep in spite of pains, and the Ativan I take keeps me asleep for three or four hours.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Be careful.

Sometimes paras, along with many quads, have difficulty breathing while sleeping. Ambien can hinder breathing further which can lead to a whole host of other problems. It happened to me.

Do you take the Ambien CR? It's extended release with a layer that is quick release and a layer that helps you stay asleep. I've had better success with that than the regular Ambien.
    Daniel

A word of caution about Ambien CR - it can cause sleep walking. I was taking 12.5 mg. each night, along with 12-14 mcg. of Tizanidine to give me a break from spaticity long enough to sleep a few hours, and the Ambien CR was working.

But, I was also sleep walking on some nights, and also falling down during the night - sometimes when sleep walking, sometimes when not asleep. The doctors wanted me to stop taking it and I haven't walked in my sleep since. I've only fallen during the night once since stopping it, so I think the Ambien CR/sleep walking was defenitely the main problem.

For some reason I never paid any attention to the commercials for Ambien CR and after stopping it I listened to one of them one day, and sure enough they do mention that possible side effect. I should have noticed that when I researched the drug when I first started it.

Falling down really stinks when you're taller than two feet or so. Arrgghh!!

"When it comes to a choice between two evils, I will always choose the one I haven't tried before." - Mae West

I was prescribed Ambien Cr after not sleeping for over two weeks. I slept rolled, and experienced what PnP did. But it worked for me years ago, I'd take one tablet and sleep for 8 or 9 hours. But not any longer....waking up with your furniture moved around and your remote is lost forever isn't the best feeling in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by PointNoPoint
    A word of caution about Ambien CR - it can cause sleep walking. I was taking 12.5 mg. each night, along with 12-14 mcg. of Tizanidine to give me a break from spaticity long enough to sleep a few hours, and the Ambien CR was working.

But, I was also sleep walking on some nights, and also falling down during the night - sometimes when sleep walking, sometimes when not asleep. The doctors wanted me to stop taking it and I haven't walked in my sleep since. I've only fallen during the night once since stopping it, so I think the Ambien CR/sleep walking was defenitely the main problem.

For some reason I never paid any attention to the commercials for Ambien CR and after stopping it I listened to one of them one day, and sure enough they do mention that possible side effect. I should have noticed that when I researched the drug when I first started it.

Falling down really stinks when you're taller than two feet or so. Arrgghh!!

Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I took Ambien out of the hospital.. didn't work for me. I'd fall asleep, but awake 2-3 hrs later. I started taking Clonazepam (Klonopin) 1 mg. It works great. I don't take anything now regularly as I stay up really late to tire out, but if I need to go to sleep early I'll take one.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia