Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair Access in San Miguel de Allende Mexico

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985

Wheelchair Access in San Miguel de Allende Mexico

I'm going there in a month to visit cousins. I heard they have 7-inch wide cobblestone sidewalks and very steep hills. Anyone been there before?

I use a manual wheelchair, and I'll be traveling by myself. Never having been in Mexico before, I'm wondering if the Leon or Mexico City airport staff will be as accomodating in getting me off the plane and through the airport as they usually are in the U.S. I'm a C5/6 quad, complete.

Como se dice en espanol, "Lift me high above the armrest (or wheelchair tire), por favor." o "Don't hit my butt on anything."

Will they let my cousin come down the ramp and put my wheelchair together? (I know they won't in the U.S.)

Hi, I dont have a lot of time to post today, but will post about the airport and accesibility tomorrow.

What airline are you flying with???

Quote Originally Posted by dnvrdave
    I use a manual wheelchair, and I'll be traveling by myself. Never having been in Mexico before, I'm wondering if the Leon or Mexico City airport staff will be as accomodating in getting me off the plane and through the airport as they usually are in the U.S. I'm a C5/6 quad, complete.
    Hi, I have not been to Leon, but was in Mexico City in February. I think that it will be the airline's responsability to get you off the plane and through customs and baggage claim. Someone helped me get through in one of those airport chairs while I was there. The people who do this job generally are not very educated and do not speak english, so I am almost sure they will not know how to put your chair together, and that may be a problem.

I recommend that you talk with the airline, explain the situation, and ask for advise. Insist that you need your cousin to come and help you with the chair. Maybe he can contact both the airline and the airport in Mexico beforehand , so that he is waiting for you. Write letters if necessary.

Como se dice en espanol, "Lift me high above the armrest (or wheelchair tire), por favor." o "Don't hit my butt on anything."
    "lift me...": LEVANTEME POR ENCIMA DE BRAZO DE LA SILLA, POR FAVOR"

"POR FAVOR, NO ME GOLPEE"

Hope this helps...

Will they let my cousin come down the ramp and put my wheelchair together? (I know they won't in the U.S.)
    I do not know who you are flying with in the U.S., but I have had able bodied family members help me down the ramp in the past. All you have to do is tell the airlines you need them for help and they are usually accomodating.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Dave,

I am sitting in a Hacienda as I type, that is about 30 minutes from there. We just arrived yesterday, and that city is one we definitely will be visiting during the week we'll be here. I will be happy to report back afterwards. I will probably be in my powerchair, I brought both with me. But I will think in "manual" mode.

Can't help with airport, we drove the rv down here. What an adventure that was.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Dave,

Hi, I Live In Mexico City And I´ve Been In San Miguel De Allende Before Injured. Maybe I Can Help You With Your Doubts.

First Of All Tell In Wich Airline Are You Traveling.
    GUILLERMO COVARRUBIAS

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    Wow! I didn't expect so much support!

I don't have the tickets yet, but I will at least be on Continental Airlines for half of it, through Houston to or from Leon. The other may be non-stop to or from Mexico City.

Thanks again everybody. I look forward to the report, McDuff. You are so supportive.

My dates will probably be July 9 to 19th.

I will definitely inform my cousin now of the help I need with my wheelchair upon arriving there.

I don't have time now, but I plan to address each of you specifically by this weekend.

Dave,

I got bad news for ya buddy. Holy shit, that is a tough city, not quite sure where to start... (I'm writing this with quite a buzz on so I hope I make sense). I would not even try it in a manual chair! You got your work cut out for you.

It is a hilly city, but that is the easy part, so you can imagine the rest. The streets for a few blocks around the town square are the big flagstone type but even those are very uneven. Once you go get off the main streets, the streets are all river rock, mortared together. Those are absolute murder! I was riding on my 8psi tires on a power chair and it rattled my teeth bad.

And I had to roll in the streets the whole time. The sidewalks are about 8 inches above street level and curb cuts are few and far between, mostly just driveway entrances. I never went on the sidewalks because there usually was not another one at the other end. Dodging the car(AND BUS) traffic kept me on my toes. But I will have to say, the drivers are Very friendly and courteous, as soon as they saw me, I was given the right of way almost always.

Went to bed and picked this up this morning...

It is a very pretty/picturesque city and I had fun rolling around but it is a busy city. I tried to download some pics off my camera, but I tried 3 computers(mac & pc) and none of them recognized my new 8gig SD card, this could be a bummer.

There was not a shop or restaurant I could get into, they are all another step or two above the sidewalks. In your manual chair you could get your friends to "beer keg" ya up the stairs, but with the power chair I was stuck.

Don't know what else to tell you, it pretty much sucks for wheelers.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Dave,

Hi, Most Of The Things Mcduff Tell´s Are True.

You Have To Be Sure To Tell The Captain Of The Airplane, To Take Care Of Your Weelchair, And That It Must Be Ready Out Of The Plane Because You Are The Last Person Who Gets Out Of It.

The Only Thing You Have To Said To The People That Is Going To Help You Is con Cuidado Por Favor.

Enjoy Your Trip.
    GUILLERMO COVARRUBIAS

Wow! I didn't expect so much support!

I don't have the tickets yet, but I will at least be on Continental Airlines for half of it, through Houston to or from Leon. The other may be non-stop to or from Mexico City.

Thanks again everybody. I look forward to the report, McDuff. You are so supportive.

My dates will probably be July 9 to 19th.

I will definitely inform my cousin now of the help I need with my wheelchair upon arriving there.

I don't have time now, but I plan to address each of you specifically by this weekend.
    And tell them before they take you out of the airplane that you have no balance (equilibrio) and for that reason you need you own wheelchair(made special to fit your body) by the gate. The ground crew has the tendency to bring the cortesy wheelchair which is horrible, old, and most of the times too big for a normal body. Insist that you need YOUR OWN WHEELCHAIR. In other words, POR FAVOR ANTES DE QUE ME PONGAN EN LA SILLA DE PASILLO NECESITO QUE MI SILLA DE RUEDAS ME LA SUBAN A LA PUERTA DEL AVION, GRACIAS. GOOD LUCK