Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Justifying an FES bike

Justifying an FES bike

Is there medical documentation or research anywhere I can read showing the benefits of using an FES bike???
    Something I could use to justify the need for one?
    What have people submitted to insurance companies that purchased one?

What are some things it is good for:

Spasticity
    Spasms
    Circulation
    ROM
    Reverse/prevent atrophy=less risk of pressure sores

Would it be beneficial to help prevent blood clots? I believe it's obvious it would be but can I get all of this in writing somewhere?

Thanx in advance.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

hi imy doctor wrote me a scrip for my rti bike pretty much mentioning what you wrote for medical reasons and overall health and my work comp paid for mine hope this helps you good luck and happy cycling
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Found this from Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Alabama:

Functional Electrical Stimulation Ergometer (StimMaster, ERGYS)

RT300-S Denial - very interesting
    Last edited by stephen212; 05-23-2008 at 04:28 PM.

Hey, thanks for those links stephen, nice to see BCBSIL took a hit on one of those RT300 bikes, gotta look into this some more

Quick survey from the guys that posted a couple years ago...you still like your bikes? Did they improve muscle mass? Still using it?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Hey, thanks for those links stephen, nice to see BCBSIL took a hit on one of those RT300 bikes, gotta look into this some more

Quick survey from the guys that posted a couple years ago...you still like your bikes? Did they improve muscle mass? Still using it?
    I just started doing FES at a local rehab clinic a few weeks ago. They have an ERGYS 1 and the RT300. I'm not ready to offer a comparison between the two (the ERGYS3 is is going into production on June 1st) but I can say unequivocally that the muscle tone in my legs improved noticeably after only a few rides.

My wife uses an FES (Ergys2) at the local gym. the difference has been obvious. Especially in her cardiovascular, and sirculatory. Before she would pass out, and have to have Midodrin before we could sit her up. Now, she's only using half-height compression hose, and has even left her chest binder off. Her voice is stronger. Her muscles are retaining tone. She is healthier looking all around.

A month back, she broke her leg in therapy, and she had to give it up for awhile. The drop in health has been almost immedite, and dramatic. I cannot wait until she can get back on it again, as the difference is so huge. The human body HAS TO HAVE exercise. Us AB people do it every time we move, shift in our seat, etc. SCI's have to have exercise. It's good for your mental state as well. I wish I could sit in front of some sort of insurance panel and testify to the difference. As her caregiver, I'm the one who takes the hit when her health is worse.

i'm trying to get an fes bike too. does anyone have a letter of medical necessity i can review?

i use one at NRH, these things are great for cardio.

as far as spasms go, they're reduced in frequency buy can kick harder(no meds).

Quote Originally Posted by jon 0
    i'm trying to get an fes bike too. does anyone have a letter of medical necessity i can review?

i use one at NRH, these things are great for cardio.

as far as spasms go, they're reduced in frequency buy can kick harder(no meds).
    Did you have any atrophy before? Did it reverse it any?
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Thank you for the link Stephen...and everyone else who commented too.

What would even be the first step with trying to get one?

I suppose I should go try different bikes out somewhere to make sure I respond to them.

After that, do I just have my doctor submit a rx for which one I want to the FES company or where? I'm sure my insurance will try to deny it, but even if I get that denial I may have other options elsewhere.

yes atrophy, yes gained muscle mass

http://www.restorative-therapies.com/

this is the FES bike i've been using at NRH's gym program

it tracks progress and uploads it to an RTI page where i can log in and see what i've done. 51 sessions average 6 miles.