Thread: U of C Irvine will now charge for transportation of disabled students on campus

U of C Irvine will now charge for transportation of disabled students on campus

"Budget Cuts Force Disabled Students to Pay for Rides in PTS Cart
    Until last year, the Disability Services Center provided disabled students rides around campus for free.
    by: Elizabeth M. Botello
    Staff Writer

Drew McCarroll

Samantha Harmon dislocated her hip but decided not to pay for transportation in PTS carts and now walks around campus with one crutch.

The budget cuts that hit UC Irvine this past year have affected every student on campus, but particularly those who suffer from a disability or injury and are in need of a transportation service to get around campus. Students must now pay to get transported in the service carts.

Source

There are wheelchair lift equipped shuttle buses available. And a temporary disability for a displaced hip? Geez, maybe she should move to Florida where all you need is to breath to get a HP car permit. This a stupid goal when the service is offered as part of the mainstream buses. California will soon be cutting medicaid that pays for wheelchairs due to federal budget cuts. Now that's a problem.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Sue, I don't think they are talking about mainstream buses that travel from town to town-They are talking about an on campus service to bus handicapped students from bldg to bldg.

As they say nobody rides for free..except of course the President's yacht that he wants the people to fund to renew.

Talk about back to the fifties.
    And when he's done Sue is right...there won't be enough money for the not so rich to even
    be provided with wheelchairs..or a crutch.

So back to the Foundations that saved the crippled in the fifties and sixties and seventies..oh boy.

Sue Pendleton

posted 03-14-05 12:25 AM
    There are wheelchair lift equipped shuttle buses available. And a temporary disability for a displaced hip? Geez, maybe she should move to Florida where all you need is to breath to get a HP car permit. This a stupid goal when the service is offered as part of the mainstream buses. California will soon be cutting medicaid that pays for wheelchairs due to federal budget cuts. Now that's a problem.

BTW, I have no idea what you are trying to say!
    The only thing I came up with is that if you think students should use public mass transit, and why to we need a duplicate transportation system; they can't because public transit does't go from bldg to bldg.