Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a Colostomy

Exclamation Do I need a Colostomy

Well I need some information please I have a couple of pressure sores and I will be getting surgery on June 13th, and my doctor has informed me that I might need a colostomy...I dont think I need one because i can tell when I must go to the bathroom. or have a movement. so do I really need one? and what are the benifits of having one done, please inform me because Im scared as hell about this..

What did the doctor say the reason for the colostomy? Two pressure sores at the same time is a big deal. You need to change your lifestyle so you don't get anymore pressure sores. They can ruined your life if you don't.

Art
    Art

I don't see the connection between the sores and a need for a colostomy. Make sure and ask him why he thinks you might need one..., unless he needs more moolah to make a payment on his vacation home in the Hamptons

Get another opinion or two.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Unless these sore are so big because he did not stay off of them and they infected his rectum.

Art
    Art

In my case the sore was so close to the rectum that it would be in danger of becomming infected by feces. After having a flap done an infection is the last thing you need. The oolostomy can be reversed after things have healed.
    William M.
    T 6/7 Complete - 4/20/74

Good points Art and Spadfan, I didn't even clue into that aspect of such a situation. Guess it depends on where the pressure sores are located.

I wasn't aware that colostomies can be reversed....

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf
    I don't see the connection between the sores and a need for a colostomy. Make sure and ask him why he thinks you might need one..., unless he needs more moolah to make a payment on his vacation home in the Hamptons

Get another opinion or two.
    lol.rdf ...good one....
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

I agree with Spadfan. We often recommend a temporary colostomy for pressure ulcers which are very close to the rectum or anus. This makes the surgery safer and avoids the high risk of fecal contamination of the incision, resulting in infection and failure of the flap. Even doing vigorous dig stim can sometimes disrupt a flap. It can be done temporarily and re-anastamosed (reversed) after the flap is fully healed.

One study done at a large VA SCI Center though found that the majority of persons with SCI who had a "temporary" colostomy for just this reason decided to NOT have it reversed ultimately, as they found their bowel care so much simplier and less time consuming after the colostomy, and did not have to worry about bowel accidents. Be sure that a good CWOCN marks the location for the stoma pre-operatively with the view that the colostomy just might be permanent (which means it should be marked with you sitting, not laying down).

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    I agree with Spadfan. We often recommend a temporary colostomy for pressure ulcers which are very close to the rectum or anus. This makes the surgery safer and avoids the high risk of fecal contamination of the incision, resulting in infection and failure of the flap. Even doing vigorous dig stim can sometimes disrupt a flap. It can be done temporarily and re-anastamosed (reversed) after the flap is fully healed.

One study done at a large VA SCI Center though found that the majority of persons with SCI who had a "temporary" colostomy for just this reason decided to NOT have it reversed ultimately, as they found their bowel care so much simplier and less time consuming after the colostomy, and did not have to worry about bowel accidents. Be sure that a good CWOCN marks the location for the stoma pre-operatively with the view that the colostomy just might be permanent (which means it should be marked with you sitting, not laying down).

(KLD)
    Hi KLD Is there a time limit during which the reversal must be done, or can a colostomy be reversed 5, 10, 20 years down the road.
    thanks

Thanks!

Generally reversals are done within the first year. Often older colostomies were not done with a method that would allow reversal.

(KLD)