Thread: Researchers create molecule that nudges nerve stem cells to mature

Researchers create molecule that nudges nerve stem cells to mature

DALLAS — June 15, 2008 — Inspired by a chance discovery during another experiment, researchers at UT Southwestern Medical Center have created a small molecule that stimulates nerve stem cells to begin maturing into nerve cells in culture.

This finding might someday allow a person’s own nerve stem cells to be grown outside the body, stimulated into maturity, and then re-implanted as working nerve cells to treat various diseases, the researchers said.

“This provides a critical starting point for neuro-regenerative medicine and brain cancer chemotherapy,” said Dr. Jenny Hsieh, assistant professor of molecular biology and senior author of the paper, which appears online today and in the June 17 issue of Nature Chemical Biology.
    http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/c...es/468005.html

Sweet news!
    Andrew

it is good news but just by reading it I can already tell that is in now way anywhere close to any use in our life times.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S
    it is good news but just by reading it I can already tell that is in now way anywhere close to any use in our life times.
    maybe you fail to understand the part about growing outside the body.

Quote Originally Posted by DA
    maybe you fail to understand the part about growing outside the body.

maybe you failed to understand the part about it not being a complete science and not knowing how to control it. or maybe you misunderstood the even more insurmountable(sp) problem of getting through the years of research clinical trials and funding that will have to take place for the fda to even consider letting this be applied to people.

the idea that we will benefit from anything we see in the news nowadays is pretty far fetched. the system is too beaurocratic and cash intensive for anything to be done in a reasonable amount of time for the reader... its pretty sad in my opinion. we read about alot of stuff we'll never live to see used. i truly believe the system is flawed...