Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why to use a restroom ?

why to use a restroom ?

why to use a restroom if you have a neurogenic bladder and sometimes bowel accidents occure as well on many sci?.bladder spasms makes most of us to pee [leak]before we or our caregiver cath us.i feel so bad regarding this issue.....in other words most of us have no bladder or bowel control ....right or wrong?how many of you can avoid an bladder or bowel accident ?just curious.......
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

I have a semblance of control much of the time. Accidents are not as common as they once were, at least of the voiding kind.

How are you managing your bladder and bowels? Maybe your program needs a little (or a lot) of tweaking.
    Last edited by LaMemChose; 05-20-2008 at 03:04 PM. Reason: typing sux

Almost never for me. I know based on how much I drink and what activity I am doing, when to go cath.
    Andrew

I use condom caths, and proper application, and ensuring proper technique in both bowel and bladder managment, has me at few accidents, and no UTIs.

I'm with Mem, time to recheck your program.

Adi.. could be because of how much beer you consume. I don't really know your daily routine,but it many of your post you mention drinking from the moment you awake.. to who knows?

I like beer, but once the damn breaks, it just keeps wanting to flow.

(could be a silly suggestion. I don't know.. just throwing it out there)
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose
    I have a semblance of control much of the time. Accidents are not as common as they once were, at least of the voiding kind.

How are you managing your bladder and bowels? Maybe your program needs a little (or a lot) of tweaking.
    intermitent cath during the day ....but the problem is that every touch of my skin,movment or breath cause me severe spasticity and pain [i pee as well as a result].regarding bowel ....i take stool softners ,magic bullet ,dig stim every second day.i use condoms catheters during the day before my sister cath me [every 6 hrs].....my problem with those condoms is that when i leak ...i leak with a lot of pressure and the condom goes off after 2-3 leakings ....i tried many brands of condoms here and in usa ...only one brand [mentor]helped a little [made in usa ]...after 6-8 leakings still on place ......here i cannot find mentor condom cath ...agrrr......
    during the night i use diapers ...still wet when i leak during the night....
    i hate my penis ..he is not connected to my brain anymore after my injury...
    • Dum spiro, spero.

Quote Originally Posted by Rbrauer
    Adi.. could be because of how much beer you consume. I don't really know your daily routine,but it many of your post you mention drinking from the moment you awake.. to who knows?

I like beer, but once the damn breaks, it just keeps wanting to flow.

(could be a silly suggestion. I don't know.. just throwing it out there)
    if i drink water and tea the same result ...spasms, pain and leaking like crazy .
    i tried to decrease my fluids ...no results ...and often uti`s....
    i tried detrol as well...severe constipation and ad....
    • Dum spiro, spero.

Sounds mighty frustrating, Adi......I can sympathize with that. Beer is good, but all things in moderation, remember? So tea and water don't work? Hmm, tried Mountain Dew (or whatever's a popular soft drink over there?). It's bizarre, but I have to swear by diet soft drinks like Dt Mtn Dew, Fresca, etc, etc. Something to do with the acidity and my urine's pH. When it stays low (around 5, which is admittedly borderline normal) it's generally clear and I have relatively few problems. When the diet pop runs out and I drink most anything else for a few days my pee immediately turns cloudier and often smellier and I often have problems. Last Wednesday morning I cathed, it came out bloody (just 5 hrs before it was fairly clear) and over the next day and a half I got one hella uncomfortable pain in my urethra and wicked bladder spasms. Called the doc and he called in a Bactrim Rx, and I'm feeling much better. Not an advocate of shotgun therapy with antibiotics but sometimes safe is better than sorry.

Anyways. You didn't mention taking Ditropan, Detrol or any other anticholinergic. This makes a big difference - I sure noticed it when I ran out early for a few days. Spazzed, and leaked like crazy. You need to call a doc and browbeat him/her into considering an anticholinergic - your bladder pressures are probably too high and that predisposes you to UTI's, kidney damage - not good.

I don't know what to say about your spasms and pain issues, it sounds like almost anything can cause it in your case. Again, have you been able to lean on a doc about this?

And considering the state of health care in Romania, I realize that may be a big issue. I know I said it about umpteen million times, but......try to get back to the USA, will ya? If the Romanian health care system and docs don't give a shit about you, then you need to go where someone will, and for you that's Chicago, if I'm not mistaken. Go west, my man....go West

Good luck......my problem is that I'm tied to the darned bathroom (instant shits more than bladder, but definitely both are an issue) and wish I could get away from it!

Tom

The condoms not fitting, eh Adi? just kidding.

If it were I. I would probably change the condom more often (after 2 leaks?) That way it assures it will never come off and cause a clean up job.

Quote Originally Posted by Imight
    The condoms not fitting, eh Adi?
    lol, my same thought at first

seriously though, moving around usually helps with my spasms and nerve pain a ton. i've found that if i have to sit still for any extended period of time, whether it's watching a movie or a couple hours of homework, my spasms in my chest and abs are pretty bad for about 30-45 seconds. bad enough that i can't push until they stop. i've also come to the conclusion that you can gain enough strength to help overcome some of them, but it takes a lot of work. again adi, i don't know what your day consists of, but if you aren't very active your spasms and nerve pain probably will be pretty bad.
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."