Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where were we 10 years ago on SCI treatment and where will be at 10 years from now??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Where were we 10 years ago on SCI treatment and where will be at 10 years from now??

Im thinking where were we at in 1998 on sci research and were do you see sci research in 2018? You think there would be a cure or something to get people with sci better, may it be through stem cells or exercise or whatever?
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

Well if this injury does not kill me first, I seriously hope and believe within the next 10 years we should be somewhat able-bodied. It wouldn't a lot faster if we had government funding. In the past 10 years there has been lots of new roads opened & new discoveries. C3 11 years post
    keiffer66

Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    Well if this injury does not kill me first, I seriously hope and believe within the next 10 years we should be somewhat able-bodied. It wouldn't a lot faster if we had government funding. In the past 10 years there has been lots of new roads opened & new discoveries. C3 11 years post
    I wish I had a shred of your optimism as it pertains to SCI research.

Dave
    Dave

22 yrs ago i was told 5 yrs. didn't believe it then. BUT it is closer now than 22 yrs ago. personally, i'm sure i won't see it. but am reasonably hopeful my son's generation, he's 15, will. i'm not discouraged for myself, just realistic. i'm not 20 yrs old. you ppl who are have every reason to hope.

eta, don't just look to be restored to your ab self. getting off a vent, getting arm function, etc., these things are major milestones.

Seeing someone not having to rely on a vent to breathe would be a huge accomplishment in my opinion and should be priority number one! I hope in less than five years although I have no research reason to back this up.

Then arms/hands/fingers. I hope that's in less than ten.

Hope to see regeneration and some leave their chairs before I die.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

no more ASIA A would be nice in 5year timeframe...
    http://www.facebook.com/ivicamaotze.rod

I think that we need to get a grip here. I don't post on here but have lurked for years. We seem to be no further on now than we were ten years ago. The pursuit of cure has a long history, long pre-dating genetic or stem cell research. We've had promises of a cure for spinal cord injury since at least the 50's. The following is from Paraplegia News in 1959 from from an editorial entitled “Kick Him While He’s Down”

“In the past twelve months paraplegic has been dealt some serious blows. Paraplegia has been attacked from all four sides this year. . […] Medical science has come up with some advances too. Researchers have been able to repair damaged cords in mice and other animals and get nerve impulses past the break.[…] A new substance to grow spinal nerves has been developed by Walter Reed scientists.

All through the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and 90’s and in the 21st Century there has been a number of claims that a cure for spinal cord injury is just round the corner. FES was going to help the paralysed walk, the International Spinal Research Trust, was in 1986 was promising cures for spinal cord injury within five years. I remember being at a meeting of the Spinal Injury Scotland in 1992 when a representative from this group gave a talk. His first slide was an empty wheelchair with the title “Your Wheelchair by the year 2000”. He went on to describe how mice where now walking again after having their spinal cords severed.

Stem cell research and growth factors are just increasing this tendancy. From what I can see if you want to walk again and recover from a spinal injury, become a mouse, cos it only seems to work for them.

I know I'm being provocative here, but i get fed up with hyperbole and raised expectations that surrond the cure agenda and way that new medical research findings do not translate into benefits.

Anyone can make predictions. No one can make accurate predictions.

Progress will be made incrementally; it's a process, not an event.
    Last edited by Schmeky; 05-21-2008 at 12:02 PM.

1998- researchers was working in the labs and fighting to get funds for clinical trials. Cure was around the corner.
    and if the actual situation don´t changes,
    2018- researchers still be working in the labs and fighting to get funds for clinical trials. Cure will be around the corner.....again.

I hope to walk again someday, but time passes away and im not inmortal
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

tis a sad subject as nobody can answer it. we can only keep supporting the research and the legislation that promotes it. sometimes breakthroughs do happen.

meanwhile, just having the internet and sites like this is a HUGE improvement over march, 1986, when i was injured. what i would have given to have this site then, all those terrible, lonely times at Rancho Los Amigos.

i thank wise, sci nurses, mods and everybody here for this site.