Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Baclofen pump FAQ

i had a tumor removed from my spin that an from c2 to c7 in august of 2008. when i woke up i couldnt move the right side of my body i spent 2 months in inpatiet physiccal therapy where i had to learn towalk again. i have been goin 2 outpatient physical and occupational therapy 3x's a week since.
    and and i havebeen taking baclofen orally since then but i stil have random spasms mostly when i first wake up and when i stand up aftewr sitti,ng for a long time. but i dont need any assistance when i walk and i can walk very far, i just walk slow and with a limp. but ive kinda gotten 2 the point wherrre im not getting any better could some one tell me there b4/ after story with the baclofen pump

Before my pump I was maxed out on the oral Baclofen and other meds to help with the spasms. The spasms were about 4/hr and they would arch my back and pull my hands to my chest if I was in my chair they would almost pull me out of it. I was learning to walk again also. Life was hell then.
    Now that I have the pump and it is regulated to the dosage I need I rarely have a spasm, I can walk a lot farther now and it has made life more bearable.

My physiatrist is pushin for me to take the test. My PT has little experience with the pump due to the fact I am still using my inpatient pt thru a continuing care program. I also have had a person with the pump, who is now not using the pump for medicine, to wait longer to see if changes in my recovery are still ahead. 18 months in, I haven't seen any in a while.

Darrel, you mentioned you drag your foot. Ever tried pt using bioness device? Worked wonders for me

Thanks again
    shep

I was directed to it at one time and I brought the subject up with my physiatrist and she said that it would not help in my case. that I need to wear my afo. that was two years ago (one year post) I have not looked into it since. would medicare pay for it?

I'm not sure where, but i do believe i saw on one of the forums here that the bioness LS300 was medicare approved. I did drag my right foot bad enough that a cane was unsafe. my dorsiflexion of the ankle was pretty much non existent. the bioness corrected this. Inow walk with a cane and have little or no problems with my dorsiflexion.

how much return did you get back? I only got 30% on the side that has the drop foot.
    I have to see the physiatrist on the 21st of this month I'll ask her about it.

My insurance company has denied my doctor's request for an overnight stay after my implant surgery. Should I be concerned about coming home immediately after the surgery?

I don;t think it is that big a deal, the hospital that did mine treated it as out patient, but my physiatrist wanted me in rehab for 2 days. A lot of people went right home. I am a bit of a wuss, so it was nice to have nurses the first night.

1. Will someone be there? .... typical post o/p surgery stuff. It would be nice to have someone to fetch and carry for you, so you don;t have to get up to get a drink of water and such. Also do you have an electric bed at home? I don;t, and really appreciated the electric sitter upper the hospital bed had the next day! Be aware the surgery made it a little harder for me to sit up for a day or so. (The incision, not the pump effects, I think at least).

2. BE CAREFUL about how they are weaning you off the oral baclofen. You can;t go cold turkey! The pump doesn;t immediately replace it as far as your body is concerned. My doc decreased it a little too fast I think, and I had some nightmares, but nothing more serious. Discuss this.

3. This will make a big difference in your adls, especially transfers and showers. Any plans for some PT? And I would recommend you have someone with you, or at least w/in yelling difference the 1st couple times you transfer.

4. What are the plans for tweaking the pump? They increased mine about 3X before I went home.

5. Nothing to do w/ going home right away, but from my experience, the dose will seem just right for a bit, then slowly things will creep up. Dose gets increased, and it repeats. This is typical, it can take up to a year to get the right dose. I didn;t realize this at first and was concerned. (It took me about 6 months).

Good luck, feel free to pm me.
    Last edited by sjean423; 02-03-2009 at 06:13 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I had to travel 90 miles to get home after my pump was put in and I had no problem.

hi i've had my pump in for about a month now. I'm 8 months post op from injury and it has helped with the spasms for the most part ( i get here and there) but my tone is awful!! how long does it take to get the right dosage? i think i'm at 190 mcg a day. one day when i was on 100mcg they had me go into the hospital and gave me a bolus of an extra 50mcg over 15 min. that worked GREAT!!! it started working within the hour and lasted till 6pm i went in at 9:30am. but ever since then we keep increasing and i am still stiff and have some jumpyness. any suggestions? i see my surgeon tomorrow so i will also ask him. thanks