Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Baclofen pump FAQ

Forgot that, it might be an issue ..... that would be 3 things then.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    Forgot that, it might be an issue ..... that would be 3 things then.
    Two bags....just belly art.

baclofen pump

I took my daughter in for her refill on her pump the other day and when they removed the old medicine, it should have been 9cc that was taken out but only 5 cc were actually removed. Then as we filled it back up there were 5 cc of medicine that would not go in. My Nurse said she had never had that happen before and called the Dr. The answer was .... let's see what happens on the next fill up ( 6 months from now ) has anyone else ever have this happen? Seems like I am a bit more concerned about this than the Dr.

I got a new pump and a catheter revision both yesterday afternoon. This is the fourth time in just a couple of years for the catheter. This time, surgeon said I'd somehow yanked the catheter down so that it was barely in the spinal canal. The times before, the connector broke, the catheter became dislodged, and the other time, it cracked.

Right now, the pump is working perfectly, first time in a long time. Knock on wood. He said this time not to do pretty much anything for 6 weeks, just to be sure. He doesn't even want me bending over in my chair unless absolutely necessary. I must also wear a binder 24/7, except for the shower.

I feel like a limp noodle, and it's set on what it was for over a decade. I'll need to play with dialing it in, problem is the closest doc is 100 miles over old two lane Iowa roads, for the most part. But this doctor finally listens to EVERY thing I say about the pump. I've proven him wrong and myself right every time, so he said he'll listen to me and go with what I say in the future. I thought that was nice of him.

Good luck to all who have a pump or are considering one. I just got home from driving from the hospital 100 miles away. I'm whipped. As usual, the nurses couldn't get a needle into my veins. EIGHT times it took them. I don't mind much or get upset about much in this world, but I am kind of getting upset at the inability of nurses to stick a needle in my veins. They start crying, for Christ's sake, at least a couple of the young ones did. I didn't yell at them, they just felt bad.

I'm sick of surgery. Knock on wood.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I'd call Medtronics, and ask a rep, Grace's mom. I've heard of discrepancies before, but can't remember the amount of difference. I know what they pull out of mine is often not exactly what they'd figured it to be. Best of luck to your daughter.
    Quote Originally Posted by grace's mom View Post
    I took my daughter in for her refill on her pump the other day and when they removed the old medicine, it should have been 9cc that was taken out but only 5 cc were actually removed. Then as we filled it back up there were 5 cc of medicine that would not go in. My Nurse said she had never had that happen before and called the Dr. The answer was .... let's see what happens on the next fill up ( 6 months from now ) has anyone else ever have this happen? Seems like I am a bit more concerned about this than the Dr.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I've been pc-less for awhile..sorry it's late, but glad things went good rdf. Hope it continues.

I have an appointment with my Dr to try the baclofen pump. But I’m afraid to loss the control off the B&B and the sexually. I’m T6;T7 incomplete. I have spasticity and leg stiffness I have been using the baclofen for more than 2 years 80mg a day but It doesn’t work for me. I can’t walk for long distance because of the legs stiffness I can’t bend my knee.

Once you get it put in, they can adjust the amount you get at any given time in the day so you can get more at night or during the day so whenever your legs stiffness or spasms are worse, you can get it for that time in as little amount as you need so hopefully that way they will not interfere with your walking. Good luck with it. It's really saved my life.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I had my ITB trial in the beginning of this month. Not gonna lie, it hurt like hell - not to mention the horrible spinal headache I got afterward. The PTs could tell within hours that the trial worked. I had the pump implanted two days after the trial. Recovery was tough for me - spent 5 days in the hospital where I had the surgery, then was transferred to a rehab hospital where I've been for almost 3 weeks now.

So far I love the pump. I'm able to do a lot more without all of the tone and spasticity I had on oral baclofen. Walking is a lot easier, but I've had to relearn how to walk w/out the spasms. Still trying to fine-tune the dose on the pump, but it's getting there!

Using Intrathecal Baclofen for Spasticity Treatment after Spinal Cord Injury

Using Intrathecal Baclofen for Spasticity Treatment after Spinal Cord Injury
    by Claire Smith on 3:03 pm in Spine

Dr Jacques du Plessis

There is always a latent period after spinal cord injury before the onset of spasticity, which indicates the end of spinal shock. Mild to moderate spasticity is common after spinal cord injury and normally does not need treatment. Treatment is only considered if the spasms affect the patient’s quality of life. When this occurs, it interferes with transfers and sleep, causes pain and increases the risk of pressure sores.

On clinical examination, there is an increase of passive resistance of movement of the affected limbs and the reflexes are sometimes, but not always, increased. Contractures develop and the patient gets a fixed posture. Spasms may mask any retained voluntary motor function.

Diagnostic evaluation

Common causes of spasticity such as pressure sores, an anal fissure, ingrown toe nails and a progressive spinal deformity resulting in spinal cord compression should be ruled out. The patient should be neurologically examined and this should be compared with the result of previous examinations to rule out an ascending spinal cord lesion, which sometimes occurs in syringomyelia, which could also be responsible for the spasticity.

The patient should be assessed by a urologist to rule out bladder stones, an upper- or lower urinary tract infection and other pathology of the renal tract that can cause an increase in spasticity.

A magnetic resonance imaging scan of the area of injury should be done to rule out the possibility of syringomyelia or spinal cord compression caused by a progressive spinal deformity, disc herniation or spinal stenosis above the level of injury, especially when a spinal fusion has been previously performed.

Medical management

read....

http://www.medicalchronicle.co.za/us...l-cord-injury/