Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Baclofen pump FAQ

i have one question i had refill and turn up about three week ago. i was able to walk around my apartment without no cane or anything now i am using my walker in my apartment to get around and have alot of pain and tingling and burning in my legs when i walk . i was wondering if any one has had this same problem and if so what would u sugest thank you very much for any help this is very frustrated

pump refills

I had a pump put in in Dec. and the one thing that is consistent is the inconsistency of the results. Walk well some days and need lots of help others. Have been diagnosed for 20 years. Any improvement is cause for celebration. Started compounded 4AP a month ago and has helped much more than the pump. On a very low dose of baclofen with the pump, but still told I must get it drained and refilled every 6 mos. (at a cost of $3600). Anyone getting the same or different story??

Quote Originally Posted by aherrington View Post
    i have one question i had refill and turn up about three week ago. i was able to walk around my apartment without no cane or anything now i am using my walker in my apartment to get around and have alot of pain and tingling and burning in my legs when i walk . i was wondering if any one has had this same problem and if so what would u sugest thank you very much for any help this is very frustrated
    Many people with incomplete injuries depend on some degree of tone to provide them stability for gait. If you are having more problems walking, it is likely you need to be lowered on your dosage, at least for the times of day that you are most likely to be walking.

Are you getting treatment for your neuropathic pain? Neurontin? Lyrica?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela 54 View Post
    On a very low dose of baclofen with the pump, but still told I must get it drained and refilled every 6 mos. (at a cost of $3600). Anyone getting the same or different story??
    Yes, if you are still using the pump at all, the medication expiration is 6 months and it must be drained and refilled at that time. I would encourage you to shop around for a physician who can do your refill at the least amount of charge. Doesn't your insurance cover this? If you are not using the pump at all, it can be drained and turned off and then you don't have to have it refilled on a regular basis. You could discuss with your physician turning it off temporarily and going back to oral baclofen in a low dose to see if this would work instead.

(KLD)

Re Clyndamycin, or any other strong antiobiotic

Overdoseaxium
    I am a newbie on the site. I suffer from severe tone/spasticity, most severe in late sleeping hours in the form of nasty extensor cramps. It slowly dissipates in the morning hours as my activity levels increase and medications take effect (baclofen, valium, tizanadine). I'm 3+ yrs out from DOI and tone/spasticity is one of my 3 biggest issues. I am ambulatory now (C7 incomplete Asia C) but it messes w/ my gait and being able to do certain exercises. I have considered the pump for some time, especially the idea of a trial to gauge benefit. The trial seems low risk Both my MDs have not encouraged the pump due to infection risk, and said live with the spasticity if you can. Not quite sure what to do

On the subject of Clyndamycin or another strong antibiotic (Keflex, Bactrim, etc.) make sure take Acidophilus pills (up to 20B bacteria) per day for the duration of the prescription. Antibiotics kill of the good bacteria in your intestine allowing an overbloom of bad bacteria (c. difficile) which upsets your gut, the runs and possibly colitis. Acidophilus restores the good bacteria. Trust me on this one, it works. And I've made the mistake of not doing it also having had colitis.

what kind of colitis? how do they test/treat it?
    Last edited by Overdoseaxium; 09-14-2010 at 05:37 AM.

Eating yogurt while on antibiotics is supposed to help.
    If your doctors don't recommend the pump, it requires refills and titration upward and they may not feel it will give you the benefit you desire.
    But certainly that is why they do a trial.
    CWO

I know I'll get a pump once I get over being so scared to do so..can't imagine eternity w/o going this route actually.

Anyways, a thought. A person let me feel/see theirs. Clearly, it was visible under their skin, looked & felt like a gigantic hockey puck to me. If later in life, I wanted a colostomy, is there room for all this? Or would it have to be higher/an illiostomy?

Q79,

I have a pump as well as an illieostomy. (Needless to say I don;t wear a bikini .....) If it is a thought, find out where a colostomy would go, and then have the pump on the other side.

You can't really see mine, although I have to admit to a "few" extra pounds. I think it shows on thinner peeps.

The surgery wasn;t too bad for me, and at least I am awake now.

pm me if you want to chat about it.

S.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Thanks. Bikini days have been long gone anyways! I have a urostomy on the other side already. Nothing in the near future for a colostomy & just more of a what if thought.

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    Q79,

I have a pump as well as an illieostomy. (Needless to say I don;t wear a bikini .....) If it is a thought, find out where a colostomy would go, and then have the pump on the other side.

You can't really see mine, although I have to admit to a "few" extra pounds. I think it shows on thinner peeps.

The surgery wasn;t too bad for me, and at least I am awake now.

pm me if you want to chat about it.

S.