Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 316

Thread: Baclofen pump FAQ

  1. #11

    Medtronic System sence 10/18/2005

    Been throught the good ad bad with this system Medtronic so this is there web information page (Source)
    T6 complete

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by jessie.gray
    What signs are they looking for to see if the medicine in the pump works? My spasticity is particularly bad at nighttime, rather than the daytime. Do they look for your muscles relaxing or a reflex change?

    You might also want to add something I read in a brochure about the pump: you have to be consistent in getting to your scheduled refill appointments on time, because its dangerous to let the pump run dry without any medicine in it.

    Jessie
    Had a physical Therapist do a range of motion before the spinal injection and one after. All I know is my spasms responded to the therapy and were within the guidelines required by Medicare.

    Remember money is the main factor required to receive this treatment. The operation cost close to $60,000 and it cost approximately $4,000 to refill my pump every 6 months.
    T6 complete

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by jessie.gray

    You might also want to add something I read in a brochure about the pump: you have to be consistent in getting to your scheduled refill appointments on time, because its dangerous to let the pump run dry without any medicine in it.

    Jessie
    I take a small dose of oral Baclofen for just this reason. By small I take 10mg at 6:00am 10mg at 2:00pm and 20mg at 10:00pm. I need more at night too because of more activity at night. This oral dose lets me to always have fresh Baclofen and a prescription to use incase of a malfunction.

    I had to ask for these consideration they were not offered. The down side it took 2 year of a weaker formulation in order to refine the dosage. Meaning I had to go in for a refill and reprogramming every 6 weeks, until my oral dosage and Infusion System were complimented.
    T6 complete

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Apparelyzed
    Just to add to the above.

    I've had a Cordis manual pump ('92), and three medtronic pumps ('95-'05).

    I now have a Codman gas powered pump which will not need replacing, as there are no batteries!

    Any questions, just ask!

    Simon
    How long have you had this pump? Does it stick out a lot on your side? Any problems with it yet?

  5. #15

    Travelling internationally with the pump

    I have had 2 baclofen pumps since 1998. I like to travel, and in the near future may be in SE Asia for an undetermined amount of time. I would like to stay in another country for more than 6 weeks, and wondered what the best way to figure out how to get re-fills while I am there. Anybody know? I am a world traveller, which is a big accomplishment for me because I am a quadrapalegic with severe CP. So, I am ready to take my travels to the next level and stay away from Oregon for more than the 6 weeks that my pump goes between re-fills. Any online databases or something that list "service stations" for the pump?

  6. #16

    Baclofen pump

    I would like to add a short response. Prior to getting my baclofen pump, of course I was on oral baclofen and found out that oral baclofen destroys your liver. I was upset not having been told this information before I was on it for several years.

    I am very pleased with the baclofen pump, I just wish they lasted for more than five or six years.


    Chari

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Chari
    I would like to add a short response. Prior to getting my baclofen pump, of course I was on oral baclofen and found out that oral baclofen destroys your liver. I was upset not having been told this information before I was on it for several years.

    I am very pleased with the baclofen pump, I just wish they lasted for more than five or six years.


    Chari
    I asked a question here recently about the effects of baclofen on the liver. According to Dr. Wise, baclofen "is not known to be hepatotoxic or renal toxic at 120 mg/day". Who told you that oral baclofen destroys the liver?

    Another question for those who've had the pump for a while. Does having the pump restrict your range of movement at all? If you twist around a lot or are very active, is the catheter more likely to slip out of the spine?
    Last edited by Lazlo; 08-09-2008 at 01:58 AM.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by knowthill
    I take a small dose of oral Baclofen for just this reason. By small I take 10mg at 6:00am 10mg at 2:00pm and 20mg at 10:00pm. I need more at night too because of more activity at night. This oral dose lets me to always have fresh Baclofen and a prescription to use incase of a malfunction.
    They can have it deliver bolous amouts any time in any amount to get you off orall dose at bedtme or whenever
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

    Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger74
    How long have you had this pump? Does it stick out a lot on your side? Any problems with it yet?
    Hi,

    So far the Codman pump has been fine, and is not noticeably bigger than the Medtronic pump.

    I have not found any of the pumps restrict my movement, however, if you have sensory sparing, the pump may make sleeping on the same side as the pump is implanted a little uncomfortable, but you do get used to it.

    In the UK, these pumps, Medtronic and Codman and the refills are fitted and maintained for free under the NHS.

    Regards

    Simon

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    hampton bays new york
    Posts
    1,016
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhh,,,,,,,
    The pump, I have a Meditronic, it does stick out some, it does get in the way if you can bend over, but,,, it does help, and it is easier than taking oral Baclofin. I've turned mine down {had it done} as low as I can go. Believe me I know it, it is a double edged sword, more strength, more spasticity. I'm on the edge right now, my goal is to come off of it someday, today is not the day. It's made me progress the way I am today I can't really get that mad at it.

Similar Threads

  1. baclofen pump vs. baclofen pills?
    By sci-co-pilot in forum Care
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-13-2016, 11:40 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2009, 11:17 AM
  3. baclofen pump vs. baclofen pills?
    By sci-co-pilot in forum Cure
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-24-2003, 08:26 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-12-2002, 02:10 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-19-2002, 09:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •