Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Baclofen pump FAQ

I finally have the surgery scheduled. It was for the 20th of this month but I'm leaving for Cancun the 30th to watch my little sister get married. I didn't think it was a great idea to have the surgery and 10 days later go to Mexico.

So I rescheduled for about a week after we get back. I'm having Baclofen and Morphine put in and was wondering how the dosage would be modified. Can different amounts and/or concentrations be added?
    No human society, present or past, has lacked music. Music is therefore one of the very few human universals, which puts it on the same level as food and sex.
    Fredric Lieberman

Quote Originally Posted by Zoso View Post
    I finally have the surgery scheduled. It was for the 20th of this month but I'm leaving for Cancun the 30th to watch my little sister get married. I didn't think it was a great idea to have the surgery and 10 days later go to Mexico.

So I rescheduled for about a week after we get back. I'm having Baclofen and Morphine put in and was wondering how the dosage would be modified. Can different amounts and/or concentrations be added?
    They can only change the concentration by refilling the pump. The amount pushed through the catheter can be increased by computer at any time.

Be aware that having morphine along with baclofen means you'll have to get refills every month or so, or even every two weeks. With baclofen alone, you can probably go 6 months between refills. Going every few weeks or every month can become quite costly, depending on your insurance and/or your copays.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Neuropathy is my primary reason for getting the pump, although I do have moderate-to-severe spasticity and spasms. I have severe dysesthesia and mechanical allodynia. I've tried every opioid out there and nothing helps.

Hopefully the pump will. I suppose if having both drugs in there becomes a problem I can go back to oral Baclofen.
    No human society, present or past, has lacked music. Music is therefore one of the very few human universals, which puts it on the same level as food and sex.
    Fredric Lieberman

I have had a Baclofen pump for eight years (I'm on the second one). It is installed about the T-12 level.

Does anyone using the "Pump" have any experience with a side effect on the bowels? I have had a problem that started shortly after the first pump esd installed.
    RWC

My bowels slowed down. No problem per se, but they just work slower. My Doc hadn't heard this before, but then he always said I was weird. Have pump for ~5 yrs, getting 2nd one in June.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Well I've had the pump for a couple months now. I've been getting increases a couple times a week. I'm now at 800mcg/day and I've still seen absolutely no response whatsoever. [I responded very well to a 75mcg test dose.]

The doctor now wants to add a 50mcg bolus every four hours. Personally I think there is something wrong with the catheter placement. I've already had one refill and they verified that the baclofen is leaving the pump. The question is, where is it going?

Do you guys think there is any danger in setting the pump so high? The catheter is inserted between my two injuries at T7 and T10, is it possible the baclofen is just pooling between the two injuries? Could this be harmful?

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Well I've had the pump for a couple months now. I've been getting increases a couple times a week. I'm now at 800mcg/day and I've still seen absolutely no response whatsoever. [I responded very well to a 75mcg test dose.]

The doctor now wants to add a 50mcg bolus every four hours. Personally I think there is something wrong with the catheter placement. I've already had one refill and they verified that the baclofen is leaving the pump. The question is, where is it going?

Do you guys think there is any danger in setting the pump so high? The catheter is inserted between my two injuries at T7 and T10, is it possible the baclofen is just pooling between the two injuries? Could this be harmful?
    I don't think that's possible. If there were some blockage in your spinal canal you would definitely know it. Continually pumping fluid into an enclosed space would build pressure. And if it was leaking that would mean your CSF would be leaking too and you would be showing signs and symptoms if it was a significant amount. I'm no doctor though.

I would think if there is a continued problem they would do a dye study. And if your doctor adds a bolus and it does hurt you then you can at least sue for malpractice lol. You're scaring me though because I exploded(burst fracture) T7-T10 and my surgery to get the pump implanted is the 14th.
    Fredric Lieberman

Zero,

My pump is set to do bolus shots every 3 hrs, trying to get the baclofen going where it should. No problem doing one every 4 hrs.

I am at 890mcg, and I am not responding like I should, got plenty of spasms and tone going on. Dye study didn't show problem, but I am getting a full catheter/pump replacement in June. We too believe something is wrong somewhere.

Zoso,

Yeah there are issues to deal with, but man compared to where I was before pump, I ain't going back. Good luck on surgery.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

I know the Baclofen will help and hoping the Morphine will. If Morphine or Dilaudid don't then I'll have to try something else, I'm just not sure what.
    Fredric Lieberman

The side effects of long-term Baclofen use

The effects of long-term Baclofen use are not clear to me and I have not yet been given the chance to meet the doctor who will eventually implant the pump and oversee my treatment, to ask them.

Anyone got any light to shed on this subject? E.g. what might long-term Baclofen use effects be and what do people do to minimise them?