Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Baclofen pump FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Leedogg View Post
    yes the spasticity is bad, I've recently started taking bacolefen (20 mg by mouth two times a day) And thats helped some. I'm going to tell the doc on monday, that the baccolefen helps loose me up some. And that I just want to get the cathedar replaced. (and/or pump) Because for it to take 72 hours for lioresal to get into my body. (if it gets in there) Is too long I think. And I'm still not feeling like I did when I first had the pump implanted.
    Once it makes it through the catheter, whether it takes 6 hours or 24 (or 72 as you posted), it's a continuous stream of baclofen from then on. So once it's up there, the relief will be constant - if the pump and catheter are working properly. I'm on 300 mcg/day, just 10 more than you, and I'm doing good.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I finally won the battle with the docs. I got an appointment with the surgeon in Charleston on the 15th. The rehab doc finally thinks I am having an inconstant flow of bacolfen. Now I just got to convince the surgeon that the cathedor and/or pump needs to be replaced. And I got to decide when I want to have the surgery. With the NASCAR race coming to Darlington on Mother's day weekend. I am NOT going to miss that. So I'll probably have it after that.

Congrats on a battle well fought. Yep, definitely can't miss NASCAR, I am heading for TMS tomorrow morning. Unfortunately I AM going to miss the Indy Car race at TMS due to my surgery being 3 days before it.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

i'm having my pump put in next month. wish it could be sooner,hard to get a dr app.the test went great. i would love to sit around with out my lower body jumping around.i'm t-8 complete injured feb 08 at work. maybe i can drive without jumping out of the seat. new at this para thing any advise would help thanks ben

Quote Originally Posted by bena View Post
    i'm having my pump put in next month. wish it could be sooner,hard to get a dr app.the test went great. i would love to sit around with out my lower body jumping around.i'm t-8 complete injured feb 08 at work. maybe i can drive without jumping out of the seat. new at this para thing any advise would help thanks ben
    Glad you're getting a pump for your spasticity bena. If you have any questions related to SCI or the pump, just shoot em at us here, or in the other forums. Glad you found us, sorry you had to, as the saying goes.

Thanks!

I'm also looking forward to getting relief from the extreme tone and moderate spasticity in my leg muscles (MS-induced), when they install a pump into me sometime in the next few weeks.

Despite the doc's assurance that the Baclofen would 'head south', I was very worried that it would 'head north', but all of you seem pretty together so thanks for setting my mind at ease on that front.

Less good is the news that it could take weeks or months (not years I hope), to get the dose right.

And how serious is the initial operation - do they admit you to hospital for a day or two to begin with?

Bebe - the do what they call a 23hr hospital stay, basically overnight afterwards. The you have to be careful for awhile on xfers and such, don't want to pull stitches or dislodge anything.

Some people get their dose right quickly, and some don't. Me, it has been an ongoing process, but we think there is something wrong with my catheter and I am going for a replacement. You will see immediate relief, the Q is how long before you need a "touchup", all based on your specific needs. You will get real familiar with your pump Doc/Nurse.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

bebe, after my implant of the pump in the mid 90s they set me at 300mcg while I was still under anesthesia. A week later they raised it to 360. I was at 360 for 12 or so years, and it was great. Now I'm back at 300, and it's working just as well as the 360 was working. Back then, they didn't imo stick to the rule of incrementally increasing the dose by 10% every two weeks, or whatever. Those were the good old days, or else I had a rogue doctor who didn't follow the rules and listened to his patients instead.

From the movie Juno:
    Doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people suffer!

j/k - kinda

Thanks!

does te pump mask th problem?

Quote Originally Posted by SABRES19 View Post
    does te pump mask th problem?
    I'd say it alleviates the problem. It works on the CSFluid, preventing spasticity and spasms from being so difficult that they interfere with your life.

It might be considered to 'mask' the problem if you've relied on your spasms/spasticity to know when you have a problem somewhere. But if you keep an eye on your body for sores and such, it doesn't seem it'd be a problem. Good luck.

Thanks!