Thread: Blue Urine

Blue Urine

Lately my bag and tubing have been light blue like windex. I don?t have any symptoms of a uti. Should I be concerned? Has anybody here experienced this. Thanks

Blue or green urine can be caused by:

• Dyes. Some brightly colored food dyes can cause green urine. Dyes used for some tests of kidney and bladder function can turn urine blue.
    • Medications. A number of medications produce blue or green urine, including amitriptyline, indomethacin (Indocin, Tivorbex) and propofol (Diprivan).
    • Medical conditions. Familial benign hypercalcemia, a rare inherited disorder, is sometimes called blue diaper syndrome because children with the disorder have blue urine. Green urine sometimes occurs during urinary tract infections caused by pseudomonas bacteria.
    • https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20367333

pbr
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 07-22-2018 at 11:27 PM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Orange Crush Orange urine

I never had blue or green urine but I did have Orange Crush orange urine while being on rifampin. This is one of the drug's side effects.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Purple here. Kid you not! It's some sort of gut microbe interacting with blood in the urine to make it an odd colour. I always considered it this way - the bacterial load of colonization is becoming high.

I can see it form at the bottom and don't let it get bad. I change out the cath and bag immediately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_urine_bag_syndrome
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

So it's the plastic that's blue, not the urine itself, correct? If so, I wouldn't very concerned. My bedside bag would frequently turn blue - - maybe due to acidic urine? - - I didn't have any UTIs when it happened

Quote Originally Posted by quadfather View Post
    So it's the plastic that's blue, not the urine itself, correct? If so, I wouldn't very concerned. My bedside bag would frequently turn blue - - maybe due to acidic urine? - - I didn't have any UTIs when it happened
    What are you seeing? When you empty the urine bag, is the urine coming out of it blue? Does the empty back have a bluish tinge to it?

Yes. Just the tubing and bag. The urine looks pretty clear.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon

indicanuria

Blue not purple can be indicanuria. Transit time in guts too long. I have the same.

Not the same as the more serious blue diaper syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by julian q View Post
    Yes. Just the tubing and bag. The urine looks pretty clear.
    So it isn't the urine that is blue, it is the bag and tubing. Here are a couple articles that address that phenomenon.

https://craighospital.org/resources/purple-urine-bag

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...01971208000726

downloads.hindawi.com/journals/tswj/2007/614186.pdf
    CONCLUSION
    PUBS (Purple urine-bag syndrome) is a rare phenomenon in which the urine bags turn purple or blue. Although discolouration of the urine drainage system may cause distress to patients, physicians should reassure patients and their caregivers that a bluish discolouration of the urinary drainage system is a transient, benign phenomenon and is not indicative of underlying pathology. Asymptomatic bacteriuria in patients with indwelling catheters does not require antibiotic therapy and, therefore, these patients do not require any prescription for antibacterials. Improved hygienic measures, treatment of constipation, and more frequent changes of the urine drainage system should suffice, as indeed shown by the case reported herein.