Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Baclofen pump FAQ

Refills have gap of generally 3 months. But all depends upon the dose. higher the dose, many times are refillings.

I dont think it effects sexually. Infact must be helping as u get no spasms/no spasticity.

around 3 to 4 days in hospital after operation.

Actually, as erections are a reflex action in most SCI men, the baclofen pump can interfere with these.

It will vary depending on catheter location and dosage.

Regards

Simon

If someone with a pump gains weight, is it possible the catheter might be stretched tight or pulled apart?

Not likely. They leave a lot of slack in the catheter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazlo View Post
    If someone with a pump gains weight, is it possible the catheter might be stretched tight or pulled apart?
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

ok thanks yall for the input. One more question; How much is the refills (round about). I called my ins. company to see if I was covered and she said something it having to be mixed or something cause it was a powder? If it came in a vile i was covered but if it was bulk and had to be pre pared I wasnt. I have searched and searched and to no avail found nothing. Thanks for the help guys.

Baclofen (pump)

I have terrible spasms, my knees bend all by themselves, and I have clonus in my ankles that shake uncontrolably in my wheel chair when I hit a bump.

Currently I'm on only 30mg of oral baclofen (10,10,10 after meals). The doctor has talked to me about a pump but before I get a pump, I would like to try to increase the oral baclofen to see if maybe I don't need an operation.

Is 30mg a lot. I see that the recommended maximum is 80mg. Does anyone have any experience with this.

Also, will baclofen or the pump have any impact on the clonus?
    Thank you in advance.

If you're interested, I also have a blog at www.stemcellsandatombombs.blogspot.com
    Last edited by StemCells&AtomBombs; 06-14-2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

Messed up bad.

Hi all,

I have now had the pump for over 6 weeks, and in all that time I've never felt good at all, but maybe for a moment or two. I've been adjusted up and then down, and now I'm headed up again. For most of this time I've had what turned out to be spasms in my diaphram. I'd thought that the reason that I had a hard time breathing was due to over-medicating, but after all it turns out to be spasms. And now, as for the last 3 weeks, I've had a real hard time getting any rest at all. Once I start to fall asleep whether in my chair or in my bed which is seldom due to fibromyalgia (that too is due to the spinal cord damage), I fall asleep for a second only to find myself: eyes wide open and gasping for air and in a state of shock. This is a subject for another day. So, here I am unable to sleep, hurting from the neck down and especially in my legs, and wondering if this pump is ever going to work at all. And, as I think about it, since now I am taking my oral muscle relaxers and pain pills at the rate DOUBLED from what I took them before I got the pump, I am beginning tonight to wonder if the pump is working at all!!!!!! I think that either it's off for some reason, or the catheter has been compromised one way or the other: a kink, or separation somewhere along the way. I have an adjustment scheduled for tomorrow at 10 am, so I'm pleased with that, but I wonder if there are any other complications I have to worry about from having the baclofen discontinued abruptly like that? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, I was given a telephone # by which I could get in touch with my Dr. So far I've called them at least once a week and so far I'm lucky if they call back within 24 hrs.!!!! That's messed up!

The powder means it has to be compounded by a pharmacist into a liquid. That doesn't happen much anymore from what I've seen...it's usually now prepackaged liquid baclofen in a vial. You should be good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by mik978 View Post
    ok thanks yall for the input. One more question; How much is the refills (round about). I called my ins. company to see if I was covered and she said something it having to be mixed or something cause it was a powder? If it came in a vile i was covered but if it was bulk and had to be pre pared I wasnt. I have searched and searched and to no avail found nothing. Thanks for the help guys.

Thanks!

@stems; I am currently on 120mg daily, 30mg every 6. as far as clonis I still get it periodically evn on that amount.

You should get a diagnostic dye study done to discover if the catheter is compromised in some manner. It's happened to me in the past, once only a month post surgery.

Also, you might ask your doctor about sleep apnea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Entheos06 View Post
    Hi all,

I have now had the pump for over 6 weeks, and in all that time I've never felt good at all, but maybe for a moment or two. I've been adjusted up and then down, and now I'm headed up again. For most of this time I've had what turned out to be spasms in my diaphram. I'd thought that the reason that I had a hard time breathing was due to over-medicating, but after all it turns out to be spasms. And now, as for the last 3 weeks, I've had a real hard time getting any rest at all. Once I start to fall asleep whether in my chair or in my bed which is seldom due to fibromyalgia (that too is due to the spinal cord damage), I fall asleep for a second only to find myself: eyes wide open and gasping for air and in a state of shock. This is a subject for another day. So, here I am unable to sleep, hurting from the neck down and especially in my legs, and wondering if this pump is ever going to work at all. And, as I think about it, since now I am taking my oral muscle relaxers and pain pills at the rate DOUBLED from what I took them before I got the pump, I am beginning tonight to wonder if the pump is working at all!!!!!! I think that either it's off for some reason, or the catheter has been compromised one way or the other: a kink, or separation somewhere along the way. I have an adjustment scheduled for tomorrow at 10 am, so I'm pleased with that, but I wonder if there are any other complications I have to worry about from having the baclofen discontinued abruptly like that? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, I was given a telephone # by which I could get in touch with my Dr. So far I've called them at least once a week and so far I'm lucky if they call back within 24 hrs.!!!! That's messed up!

Thanks!