Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Baclofen pump FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by danw View Post
    I posted this earlier in this thread, but seems it was lost in the shuffle. I'll try again. Any knowledge or experience appreciated. Here's my previous post:

Been incomplete for 35 yrs, crutch ambulation for 30 yrs, using oral diazepam since injury (tryed everything else, nothing better) Docs used to push this pump thing a lot. I resisted due to stories about ever increasing doses, breaking caths, etc. Now, I'm beginning to consider this since my spasms have gotten so bad, I have problems exercising therefore increased weakness, and no walking>>increased weakness, and so on. The info here has been very helpful.

TWO QUESTIONS:
    Has anyone else noticed a decline in docs recommending the pump? If so, do you know why?

How does it affect bladder and bowel function? That's where I think my spasms HELP me most. Come to think of it, erections and/or ejaculations?

Thx for any feedback.

Dan
    The pump is very improved from the 90s. I went from 2000 to late this year with no problems, and had I used my head, I could have had my recent catheter problem fixed in a couple of days instead of 4 months.

The pump is good for my bladder. When it was malfunctioning, I couldn't hold the volumes I've had since the pump. Once it was fixed, I'm back to normal and the baclofen really takes care of any bladder spasms the ditropan doesn't. It helps my BP in that it helps relax my sphincter, whereas without it, it sometimes won't relax much. Without the pump working right, I'd have more reflex erections....don't know why. Now that it's fixed, the reflex erections have been minimized. But it doesn't have any effect on drug or injection- induced erections, they're still the same.

Docs still push the pump as far as I know, and there is always a Medtronics rep when any surgery is performed.

Good luck, it changed my life 100 fold for the better.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

dan, I find it helps my bladder management. With me, it was abdominal spasms, causing bladder to leak. Ie .... think if someone jumped on your abdomen when you had a full bladder.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon

Adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Question on the Codman pump: How is the dose adjusted? It sounds like it has no electronics at all.
    The strength of the solution.

The electronics would be messed up by MRIs.

My doctor pushed it a few times and left it at that, she did not try to explain its use or any thing I had to do a lot of research about it before I decided to go for it. Hhe way I see it, they would not try to push it if it wasn't any good. Then there is the fact that you have to go through a trial test to see if it would help or not.
    It has helped me to exersice easier with out the spasms. Plus I now can get a full nights sleep with out waking up to the spasms.
    As far as bladder and bowel I have had hardly any accidents since the pump was put in, I feel that the oral meds relaxed the wrong areas for me.

Thanks folks.

Dan

How is the dose adjusted? It sounds like it has no electronics at all.

it gets adjusted by an electronic scanner that hovers over the skin. There's lots of electronics in it and it's very programmable and can do different amounts at different times if necessary
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Hi folks,

new to the forum. Injured 6/2007, c5,6 incomplete, tetra. have had great recovery. at this point i use a cane. thinkin about trying botox for my hands. I take 80mg oral baclofen, plus 6mg zanaflex daily. I have very few spasms. My legs get stiff. I live in michigan (im a buckeye fan in michigan so the weather is only part of my problems) and in the cold my legs turn into 2X4's. anyone with this kind of experience and could i expect the pump to help?

shep

In your case, taking the tone out of your legs might cause a big problem with you walking but you can get one put in to equal out the 80 mg you're taking and have adjustability to go more if it gets worse and give your liver a break from taking such high doses of the drug every day. Just be careful with the dosage come on but also you can add pain meds to it later on if necessary
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I am also c5/c6 incomplete and had the pump put in. I had lots of spasms and still have a fair share of spasticity going, but it has done wonders for me. I have not had any trouble with not being able to walk, if anything it has helped me walk farther. What does your Dr. say, is he/she pushing it toward you? If so go in for the test to see if it will help.