Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ten Years Ago !

Unhappy Ten Years Ago !

On a warm but windy Saturday afternoon .... the May long weekend .... Bill and our son Landon (who was 14 years old at the time) went to the oak grove in a pasture where we had been cutting wood for our wood stove ... there were many dead trees and the farmer was happy to have us weed out the bad ones and we got our wood for free.

Just one more tree to take down and they were going to pack it in and go fishing ..... Bill made the decision to stop because it was too windy ... and the bugs were bad ...... as Bill cut the tree when it fell one of the branches snagged a branch on another tree next to it ...... it broke off and fell catching him directly in the middle of his back .... he tells me that he remembers the limb making contact, him falling down and then standing up again and then falling down again ....realizing he couldn't feel the lower half of his body! He instructed Landon to drive to the highway and wave someone down to get help ..... which he did but only after he stopped at the farmers house to call 911 .... throughout the whole experience he remained cool and collected showing maturity beyond his years and I was so proud of him that day .....

Bill had been a woodsman most of his adult life .... he worked in the logging industry on Vancouver Island during the winter months and farmed back on the prairies in the summer so I always had complete faith in his abilities .... we spent many happy hours out in that pasture cutting and splitting wood when the kids were small ... roasting wieners and hanging out as a family .... who knew that happy place would end up causing us so much pain !

We've endured many challenges over the past ten years .... our kids have grown ... life has gone on .... Bill has "adapted" to his new life but he has set his boundaries ... he refers to himself as a cripple and although he has never got over the longing to walk again he gets up in the morning and faces each day refusing to be beaten down ..... we realized amost immediately that when he was injured our whole family was injured and we have approached life that way from the beginning! We learned we cannot face this alone , that we need to ask for help sometimes and yet recognize this is a struggle that can only be truly understood by those travelling the same road ....

I thank god for CareCure ... the road would have been so much more lonely and difficult to traverse without the community I share here with you all .... all the additional health issues that come with sci so much more difficult to manage ... its given me the courage and confidence I needed to help Bill help himself ... to help my kids understand that life can be cruel but that we can go on and it can still be good .... against all odds ....

I still shed many tears over what happened to us .... I'm as happy as a person can be given what's been forced upon us ..... but I pray ferverently for that glorious day and the long awaited breakthrough that will get everyone of you out of these chairs .... every .. single .. day .. of my life ....

Bless you all ..... stay strong .....

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Both of you are very strong.You guys have been through alot in 10yrs. yet still fighting on.That's what we have to do.

Sorry it happened though.No one should have to deal with an sci.We can build just about anything but can't cure illness or heal injuries.
    God Bless the USA.

Take carre my friend.
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

Unfortunatly things can never be the same as they once were but at least you can wake each day knowing Bill is still with you. You were a big part of his recovery and will power to keep pushing on. The trials and tribulations of what life has given still has it's rewards.
    If I was meant to have wheels under my ass, what the hell are these legs for?
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1455040496

Obieone
    I share that prayer with you. Every single day. I'd be just as happy if Jack could just breathe on his own as well. Thank you for sharing that you still still cry over what's happened. I've always wondered if I was the only one.
    Take care.....
    Tammy

For sure, you aren't the only one(s)!
    And it's not nearly as bad for us as it is for many of you other folk.
    It never ends - every day is a reminder.
    Well written, Obieone.
    - Richard

Regardless of the pain it's caused, you bring a lot of goodness to CareCure so personally I'm glad you're here! Ten years is quite a milestone.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Your strength and courage are admirable. Yet, through your post I felt your pain and cried. The pain a mother feels seeing their child injured is unfathomable to others.

I light a candle each night and pray for a cure. I will say an extra prayer for you and your family.

I wish you peace.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Blessings and much love to you and yours.

Just want to send hugs
    For every minute you're angry you lose a second of happiness

What a wonderful post. While I am so sorry that this happened to your family I am very glad that you are part of this community. You share, you listen, and your caring is obvious. Ten years is worthy of something special. I always try to do something out of the ordinary on "that day," even if it is just a good meal out, or a new book purchase.