Thread: The Suprapubic Cath

The Suprapubic Cath

While searching on the internet for information on suprapubic catheters, I came across this advertisement http://supra-cath.com/Benefits.html for a catheter that is designed to be used suprapubically. It seems reasonable to me but I did not know whether anybody has had any experience.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    While searching on the internet for information on suprapubic catheters, I came across this advertisement http://supra-cath.com/Benefits.html for a catheter that is designed to be used suprapubically. It seems reasonable to me but I did not know whether anybody has had any experience.

Wise.
    Thanks Dr Wise
    Looks good in theory but not sure.
    I'd like to hear others & nurses.
    What about it hitting bed if laying on side or belly?
    How to clean?
    I'd like it not moving & bulb not rubbing inside.

Hi,

It does look good in theory as my experience is the most common problems are stoma irritation and drainage (which may be prevdnted with the phalanges)migration and balloon against the bladder wall.

I have not heard of this product or anyone familiar with it.

I am curious- is there any clinical trial data that is available Wise?

AAD

sounds like a good concept. i'd be worried of water setting inside the flange and spoiling causing infection at the stoma.

couple other things that worry me is it says...

"we recommend that 20fr be the minimum size catheter to be used so that the inner bore remains sufficient to facilitate unimpeded drainage of urine from the bladder".

i use 18fr. and don't care to go larger unless absolutely necessary.

it also says.....

"use min 20cc of fluid to acheive a sufficiently wide/large enough balloon to quell urine leakage. A large balloon also distributes the necessary forces from the device over a wider area within the bladder negating any undue pressure".

i use 5cc water. any more and my bladder spasms like crazy so i start leaking and feeling uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by rollin64
    sounds like a good concept. i'd be worried of water setting inside the flange and spoiling causing infection at the stoma.

couple other things that worry me is it says...

"we recommend that 20fr be the minimum size catheter to be used so that the inner bore remains sufficient to facilitate unimpeded drainage of urine from the bladder".

i use 18fr. and don't care to go larger unless absolutely necessary.

it also says.....

"use min 20cc of fluid to acheive a sufficiently wide/large enough balloon to quell urine leakage. A large balloon also distributes the necessary forces from the device over a wider area within the bladder negating any undue pressure".

i use 5cc water. any more and my bladder spasms like crazy so i start leaking and feeling uncomfortable.
    Thanks rollin, I agree 5cc saline here & 20 cc would kill my bladder!
    I was also thinking that suction will have the inner bulb pulled tight against the inside of the stoma. Wouldn't the bulb rubbing that area be worse than rubbing the walls inside? Looks like that would spread the hole open.

a foreign object like a cath[foley] caused me severe AD.even intermitent cath cause me AD.every injury is diffrent .
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."