Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neurontin

Neurontin

Please forgive me, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm too exhausted to search. I just started taking Neurontin at 300mg per day, will eventually build up to 1800mg per day. 300mg is making me extremely sleepy and fatigued. Wondering if the symptoms will eventually go away?

Yes they will diminish. I am at 1800/day, tried to go higher back awhile, couldn't do it, it just wasted me out. So you will build up tolerance, but the "working" level will vary by individual.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Yes, fatigue will subside. Try to time your pills so that you can nap afterward. I assume you are taking 100mg 3 times a day. After the evening pill, it is time for bed. The early morning pill, go back to sleep for an hour or two. The afternoon pill equals nap time or dopey time. It will take a while, but you will get used to it, and no longer need to sleep.

I never got use to it.
    I was on a small dosage for years.
    I would nod off constantly.
    Now I only take them between 6 pm - 6 am.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragile
    Please forgive me, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm too exhausted to search. I just started taking Neurontin at 300mg per day, will eventually build up to 1800mg per day. 300mg is making me extremely sleepy and fatigued. Wondering if the symptoms will eventually go away?
    try lyrica it helps me, better then "neu" but dont go up on it stay with 25mg 3 times a day, makes a difference....
    life begins when you walk in spirit papito189@gmail.com

i never lost the fatigue with neurontin, with lyrica i am not sure if it is as pronounced, i am also not sure if lyrica works on my pain, but every time i try and stop taking the lyrica i get a pain flare up and continue with it.
    with neurontin i never had a problem sleeping at night, i never needed a sleeping aid, with lyrica i need a lot to go t o sleep, i am sleepy during the day with lyrica , but i am not sure it is the lyrica, i try and holds off on my midday dose and i still fall asleep
    cauda equina

Bunch of rookies. I've been taking 3200 mg/daily for years.. I do not nap and only average 5 hrs sleep/night. I would give anything to sleep 8 hrs just 1 night.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

When I first started taking Neurontin, even a single 200 mg tablet would make me dopey. But I was able to develop a tolerance to the sleepiness and now I'm taking 300 mg, four times per day. But it's possible that everyone is different. I don't anymore, but at one time I was taking 5 mg of Valium four times a day, for spasticity, without even a hint of grogginess. I think that would put most people out for the day.

one thing i have to say about neurontin , i think it worked.
    if my pain was high or really ramping out of control, i would take an extra dose, and within 1 hour i was much better, every 5 hours and 30 minutes my pain would increased right around the half life of neurontin.
    i cant say the same for lyrica. i have taken a extra dose when pain was high, and it did nothing, i was up at 300 mgs a day and dropped to 150 of lyrica.
    with neurontin i noticed a calming effect, i didn't worry about a lot of things that were going on, which at the time was a real blessing. kind of like an anti anxiety too.
    i was up to 3200 a day too, but i did put on weight, and the biggest thing was that i was able to stop cathing after i stopped the neurontin. my bladder return had remained stuck at around 300ml , withing 2 weeks of stopping neurotin, i was under 100ml, and didn't have to cath anymore.
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    Bunch of rookies. I've been taking 3200 mg/daily for years.. I do not nap and only average 5 hrs sleep/night. I would give anything to sleep 8 hrs just 1 night.
    For night time help of neuro pain, my Doc added nortriptyline. An added benny was it seems to help me sleep, I usually get 7+hrs these days.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"