Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Joy of Being Female and 40-Something

Question The Joy of Being Female and 40-Something

So, it would appear I'm hitting that pre-menopausal phase of my hormonal/reproductive life. It's playing no small amount of havoc.

Instead of the regular cycle upon which I've always depended, I'm having much more frequent periods, way too much flow and these "events" (gah) last much longer. I'm on a significant period about one-third to one-half of the time now. Oh, to add to the fun, what I perceive to be cramps are worse than I've ever experienced.

Is there anything which can be done to minimize or stop my periods? I'm not a candidate for the pill due to the hormones and an increased risk of bloodclots so that's out. I know ob/gyns do not do hysterectomies due to crazy, whackadoo periods. I get that. Still, something needs to give.

I'm. Tired. Of. This. There are days (and nights so it's interefering big with my sleep) I'm switching pads every hour and I still have accidents. I feel even more restricted in my activities some days than I usually am.

Perhaps this is how it'll be and I just have to deal. Know of a way to slow these crazy cycles down? Puhlllleeeeeaaaaaase pass it along.

TIA for any suggestions.

try the merina. i have one and it makes my periods lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose
    So, it would appear I'm hitting that pre-menopausal phase of my hormonal/reproductive life. It's playing no small amount of havoc.

Instead of the regular cycle upon which I've always depended, I'm having much more frequent periods, way too much flow and these "events" (gah) last much longer. I'm on a significant period about one-third to one-half of the time now. Oh, to add to the fun, what I perceive to be cramps are worse than I've ever experienced.

Is there anything which can be done to minimize or stop my periods? I'm not a candidate for the pill due to the hormones and an increased risk of bloodclots so that's out. I know ob/gyns do not do hysterectomies due to crazy, whackadoo periods. I get that. Still, something needs to give.

I'm. Tired. Of. This. There are days (and nights so it's interefering big with my sleep) I'm switching pads every hour and I still have accidents. I feel even more restricted in my activities some days than I usually am.

Perhaps this is how it'll be and I just have to deal. Know of a way to slow these crazy cycles down? Puhlllleeeeeaaaaaase pass it along.

TIA for any suggestions.
    If it is causing you pain and restricting your activities, I would talk to my ob/gyn. I would suggest a female one as well. It is a huge quality of life issue. You should not have any trouble convincing your gyn that you need to be uterusless...LOL not even a word I dont think.

I wish I had my hysterectomy sooner.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Have you had exams for fibroids and endometriosis? Peri-menopause usually causes periods to become less frequent, not more so. But I guess they can be screwed up any which way, huh?

I dont miss my uterus, either and got to keep the ovaries. No instant menopause, but all of the convenience of having the hassle gone out of my life. Best of both worlds for me. Best thing I ever did for myself.

Hope you get it figured out.

mem, there's no reason an ob/gyn won't do the procedure. i've known lots of women who have had it because of painful periods. these days they go thru the vagina, with just a coupla cuts to keep ovaries. my best friend had this done a few yrs ago because of heavy periods; she is an ab woman with 3 kids. you shouldn't have a prob.

HI,

as above, I would definitely have a good exam and a frank discussion with an OB/GYne. Would be nice if they had spinal cord experience but may be hard to find.

Due to your heavy periods and pain, yes, I would make sure you are checked for fibroids and endometriosis.

You sure have alot going on and keep us posted.

AAD

LaMem, ten years ago I could have written what you wrote, except I did not want to surrender my uterus. D & C found polops, and helped with the heavy flow. I was still irregular for a few years, until it ended.

I understand.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

I have had similar issues recently. (Actually for quite a while now I am thinking of it, but pre sci they weren;t QUITE as bad to deal with .....)

WHen my period has seemed to go on forever, my gyn has put me on a few days of prometrium. The first time the plan was to do an endometrial abulation in the near future (See Leschinski's thread *, I will find the link later). But I went on to have 6 months of light to average cycles. Then it repeated. Since I am 50, I wasn;t sure I wanted to bother, if I was just about "finsihed"anyhow. But it seems not. So I am going to have the abulation done soon. It is supposed to stop or at least greatly lesson the flow.

*eta Novasure is what she has done.
    Last edited by sjean423; 05-16-2008 at 07:42 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

You need an OBGYN visit and an ultrasound. What you describe is not necessarily menopause. It could be something benign but could also be something malignant. Do not delay.