Thread: is it an Vista thing?

is it an Vista thing?

So my girlfriend's laptop was acting up yesterday. It's got a Core Duo at 2gHz with 2GB of RAM running Vista Home Premium. Less than a year old.

Apparently iTunes automatically updated itself and told her it need to restart windows. Upon restarting Windows, after Post, it just showed a black screen and you could see and move the arrow cursor. It seemed like the updates that were supposed to initialize on reboot were hanging.

Anyway, I had to restart using the power button to finally get windows to boot. Once I got in there, I started poking around (I've never really used her computer before) and EVERYTHING seemed really sluggish... copying a 500mb file from a USB drive to the desktop took almost a minute... saving files from Word or PowerPoint seemed to be slower than it should be and even viewing the contents of folders took a noticable split second before it would display them.

When I checked the task manager, with no applications open other than SpySweeper and McAfee (which I know are resource hogs) running in the background, it was using 47% of the physical RAM. My XP desktop uses just about that much while running a bunch of firefox windows, Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash all at the same time.

It seems to me that the specs of her system should be more than enough to run the OS fluidly. Is this just how Vista in its current state runs? or should I try scanning for a virus with some alternate software (McAfee found nada)?

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

First I hate itunes, and apples updater.
    500mb is a big file... a minute is an acceptable time, and really depends on the stick too.
    It's more how many processes running, than applications, like itunes/apple starts 3 i think for itunes! Avast runs 6 or 7 too.

To be sure, run housecall.trendmicro.com Its a great secondary scan.

oops. typo. meant 50mb...

Something's wrong because when I just rebooted now, it is telling me that Windows is damaged and needs to be automatically repaired. I'll see what happens after that runs.

So it could also be a case of shit RAM? It is a Sony Vaio so I figured I was safe with the parts they installed but I'll check that as well.

Thanks for the reply.

Hmmmmmmmm, bad drive maybe. I don't think RAM would cause damaged windows.

I have just about the same setup as your g/f and mine started acting up yesterday too, doing the same thing. Just after Microsoft installed its latest updates. I cant get anywhere since about 2 pm yesterday. I also went through everything on the comp, and found nothing. I thought it might be MSN itself that was having problems.

Yeah, it might have been after windows updates ran rather than iTunes.

I let Windows repair itself and now it boots mostly the same as it was before. I went in and disabled a bunch of unnecessary processes that were being fired up on startup so a little more memory is freed up.

But I'm baffeled as to why when I right-click on the desktop (or on a file or inside a folder) there is a split second before the menu appears...

Could it be an issue with the graphics card or driver rather than a RAM or OS issue?

Doesn't Vista archiving of your files? Maybe the update did something thus having to redo the whatever it does?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx is a searchable MS update database.

All of yesterdays updates were concerning MS office programs. I dont know squat about computers, and this is killing me. It is taking two minutes to get between pages even on msn home page. It seems that every effing thing is running all at once or something. And the little icon in my tray that shows the two computers "talking" with the world in front of it and it flashes between the two computers? is no longer flashing and doesnt seem to be "talking". I got desperate and went in and uninstalled all of yesterdays updates. Did nothing. Help, please.

In the wind

Thank you

I love you

OK, you're in the will