Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Being Happy

Welcomes to you lindy, glad you made it here
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Hi Lindy. Welcome to the CC community. Yes, things have changed a lot over the time your have been injured. I've been in a chair for almost 42 years and remember back when everyone got their E&J Premier chair, which weighed in at something like 55 pounds, assuming you didn't have elevated legrests or a reclining back, which would make it more like 80 pounds! Thank heavens for the equipment we have available now!

Quote Originally Posted by Emi2
    I think being happy truly is a decision that needs to be made again and again...<snip>
    Tomorrow's another day
    And I'm thirsty anyway
    So bring on the rain

Tomorrow's another day
    And I am not afraid
    So bring on the rain

Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Post pain & Happiness

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]RDF, I see you like Eric Clapton. Named my oldest son Derek (derek & the Dominoes). & Derek Sanderson ( Hockey Player).Alltime fav song is Layla. Anyway, Pain is something we live with, physical & emotional. Happiness is a choice. My boys were just babies when I had the injury. They had enough trauma with me not being there for 4 mo's & their father bringing his 19 yr old girlfriend home. I always tried to be happy and did more things with them growing up than walking moms. When they were asleep than I caved.I will NOT take pain meds (Canada has the right idea) Music, reading, Fav tv shows can be soothing.. 31 yrs later I am happy that I "did" it and made it. SCI sucks but it can make you a very strong person if you don't give in but fight (every day). My oldest graduated 2nd in his class in Syracuse Law school (corporate). He is extremely successful & lives in DC on Capitol Hill. In an article by him in the Law Journal, he was asked the reason for his success so young, he told the story of his Mom (me) & that impossible is a copout. They both tell anyone I am their hero. That is worth all the pain in the world.Now I get pleasure from just seeing the plants & flowers I planted come up or looking at a painting I did. Quads can paint with their teeth or read a good book with a special holder. Point being: don't dwell on what you can't do but try to find how to do things differently & look for what you can do. Never look back.22707

Congrats on raising such a successful child. I hope one day I will be capable of raising my son for this very reason. Until I'm capable I'll continue to make every oppurtunity at giving him the insight on life, he's almost four and even at that young age I do my best to instill good charachter so that he will mature into the young man he is capable of being.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

being surrounded by happy people makes me happy!
    The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

I think being happy truly is a decision that needs to be made again and again.
    I say this to everybody. Happiness is a choice. Yes, we all have bad days. Yes, being a complete C5 sucks. But I like feeling happy, so I choose to be happy.

I think the Western culture has created an unrealistic expectation of how life should be and that is why so many people are unhappy as they strive for an unattainable ideal life.
    Yep.

Plus, I think in most First World countries we have 'charmed lives' compared to the past and other countries. When you don't spend all day hunting and farming just to scrape together enough food to fill your aching belly, you start indulging sadness etc.

Chris.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

The people of the third world have lean lives - while those in the first have 'chunky' lives. 'Chunkiness' is imposed, unnatural and unwieldy. To escape chunkiness we must first become aware of from where and how it is imposed and then structure our lives in such a way to break its bonds and stay free of them.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Welcome to the board Lyndy. You'll love it here!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    I say this to everybody. Happiness is a choice. Yes, we all have bad days. Yes, being a complete C5 sucks. But I like feeling happy, so I choose to be happy.

Yep.

Plus, I think in most First World countries we have 'charmed lives' compared to the past and other countries. When you don't spend all day hunting and farming just to scrape together enough food to fill your aching belly, you start indulging sadness etc.

Chris.

I come from Venezuela, and while it is NOT as 3rd world as other places, it is most definetely NOT structure friendly to those of us with disabilities... I lived on a 3rd floor with no elevator and could not go out too often.... BUT, in spite of that lack of knowledge regarding different kinds of disabilities, people there were capable of seeing pass my W/C easier than here.

HOWEVER, I CHOOSE to come here and DO NOT regret it. The U.S. is my home, and I'm proud of it... Just wish we would unite in a better way to show the world that YES we need a cure, BUT that SCI does not make us contagious.

Last but not least, I agree that happiness is a choice... Tough & feisty, but non-the-less the way that we choose to overcome the rough roads that life gets us on...
    Thoughts become things, choose the good ones!