Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Being Happy

Just finding random things around the house, like this, make me happy...

and..

rescuing a sweet yet scared, misunderstood soul & changing their life as well as mine.

Like Miss Bea

or seeing eyes that scream, just pet me & I'll love you forever!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

awww what beautiful animals!

here are monk and gato, my cheer-er up-ers =]

mitochondrial disease complex 1 deficiency, suspected HSP
    type 3 ehlers danlos syndrome w/ type 1 overlap, g and j tubes
    aspergers & friends
    survivor of 2 TIA strokes

Sometimes we need to be reminded that good things happen.

You say "Sometimes we need to be reminded that good things happen."

Iʻm a 32 year paraplegic with chronic pain that has been with me for over 22 years. Now, this is serious pain, it goes on all day. I use a collection of meds - used different ones in the past and am open to new ones. I use heavy meds; the Fentynal 75 mph is the heaviest. The others are for break through pain and I use them everyday.

Now back to: Sometimes we need to be reminded that good things happen.

Can I get approval from some of you here to post a photo of my right foot?

I burned my foot by spilling HOT tea down my shoe resulting in a Deep Second Degree burn. Iʻve seen two doctors one is a respected plastic who has been awarded acclaim for his work with burn victims. Six days later, the prognosis:

IF my body is healthy and strong enough to discharge the dead and infected tissue (at this time there is no infection) there is a 20% the other doctor said 25% chance that they can do a skin graft. This will become known it about two weeks or less...

If they cannot do a skin graft; Amputate my right foot!

THis gets to me, I live with chronic pain and may have to undergo a serious surgery and the surgery will in no way help my pain.

I remind myself about these sometimes good things happen, Iʻm a positive person, but these good thing are far and few between. And when they appear, and yes they do appear, the thrill lasts a minute or two. My dog Rufus a 65 pound Standard poodle gives me some joy, scratching his ears gives hum great pleasure and this transfers on to me.

But, do you want to see the photo of my burned foot? Reminding you that bad things happen, so be prepared, be alert, pay attention, any small tiny mistake/accident can alter the path of your life.

Hold on hang in and smile.

Thanks for listening

Gary
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Spastic, your cats are beautiful! What do people do without pets, I couldn't imagine?!

Gary, you can post in the bitch & complain thread or start your own about your foot. Good luck!

thanks. =]
    monk is an inside cat... he's actually sitting next to me on the futon right now. gato stays outside. he is kind of like the neighborhood cat. everyone feeds him and he's very friendly towards everyone. he has a "cat house" (think like a dog house but smaller and full of hay) to stay warm in the winter. him and monk meow at eachother through the window =]
    mitochondrial disease complex 1 deficiency, suspected HSP
    type 3 ehlers danlos syndrome w/ type 1 overlap, g and j tubes
    aspergers & friends
    survivor of 2 TIA strokes

21 habits of happy people

1. Appreciate Life

Be thankful that you woke up alive each morning. Develop a childlike sense of wonder towards life. Focus on the beauty of every living thing. Make the most of each day. Don’t take anything for granted. Don’t sweat the small stuff.

2. Choose Friends Wisely

Surround yourself with happy, positive people who share your values and goals. Friends that have the same ethics as you will encourage you to achieve your dreams. They help you to feel good about yourself. They are there to lend a helping hand when needed.

3. Be Considerate

Accept others for who they are as well as where they are in life. Respect them for who they are. Touch them with a kind and generous spirit. Help when you are able, without trying to change the other person. Try to brighten the day of everyone you come into contact with.

4. Learn Continuously

Keep up to date with the latest news regarding your career and hobbies. Try new and daring things that has sparked your interest – such as dancing, skiing, surfing or sky-diving.

5. Creative Problem Solving

Don’t wallow in self-pity. As soon as you face a challenge get busy finding a solution. Don’t let the set backs affect your mood, instead see each new obstacle you face as an opportunity to make a positive change. Learn to trust your gut instincts – it’s almost always right.

6. Do What They Love

Some statistics show that 80% of people dislike their jobs! No wonder there’s so many unhappy people running around. We spend a great deal of our life working. Choose a career that you enjoy – the extra money of a job you detest isn’t worth it. Make time to enjoy your hobbies and pursue special interests.

7. Enjoy Life

Take the time to see the beauty around you. There’s more to life than work. Take time to smell the roses, watch a sunset or sunrise with a loved one, take a walk along the seashore, hike in the woods etc. Learn to live in the present moment and cherish it. Don’t live in the past or the future.

8. Laugh

Don’t take yourself – or life to seriously. You can find humor in just about any situation. Laugh at yourself – no one’s perfect. When appropriate laugh and make light of the circumstances. (Naturally there are times that you should be serious as it would be improper to laugh.)

9. Forgive

Holding a grudge will hurt no one but you. Forgive others for your own peace of mind. When you make a mistake – own up to it – learn from it – and FORGIVE yourself.

10. Gratitude

Develop an attitude of gratitude. Count your blessings; All of them – even the things that seem trivial. Be grateful for your home, your work and most importantly your family and friends. Take the time to tell them that you are happy they are in your life.

11. Invest in Relationships

Always make sure your loved ones know you love them even in times of conflict. Nurture and grow your relationships with your family and friends by making the time to spend with them. Don’t break your promises to them. Be supportive.

12. Keep Their Word

Honesty is the best policy. Every action and decision you make should be based on honesty. Be honest with yourself and with your loved ones.

13. Meditate

Meditation gives your very active brain a rest. When it’s rested you will have more energy and function at a higher level. Types of meditation include yoga, hypnosis, relaxation tapes, affirmations, visualization or just sitting in complete silence. Find something you enjoy and make the time to practice daily.

14. Mind Their Own Business

Concentrate on creating your life the way you want it. Take care of you and your family. Don’t get overly concerned with what other people are doing or saying. Don’t get caught up with gossip or name calling. Don’t judge. Everyone has a right to live their own life the way they want to – including you.

15. Optimism

See the glass as half full. Find the positive side of any given situation. It’s there – even though it may be hard to find. Know that everything happens for a reason, even though you may never know what the reason is. Steer clear of negative thoughts. If a negative thought creeps in – replace it with a positive thought.

16. Love Unconditionally

Accept others for who they are. You don’t put limitations on your love. Even though you may not always like the actions of your loved ones – you continue to love them.

17. Persistence

Never give up. Face each new challenge with the attitude that it will bring you one step closer to your goal. You will never fail, as long as you never give up. Focus on what you want, learn the required skills, make a plan to succeed and take action. We are always happiest while pursuing something of value to us.

18. Be Proactive

Accept what can not be changed. Happy people don’t waste energy on circumstances beyond their control. Accept your limitations as a human being. Determine how you can take control by creating the outcome you desire – rather than waiting to respond.

19. Self Care

Take care of your mind, body and health. Get regular medical check ups. Eat healthy and work out. Get plenty of rest. Drink lots of water. Exercise your mind by continually energizing it with interesting and exciting challenges.

20. Self Confidence

Don’t try to be someone that you’re not. After all no one likes a phony. Determine who you are in the inside – your own personal likes and dislikes. Be confident in who you are. Do the best you can and don’t second guess yourself.

21. Take Responsibility

Happy people know and understand that they are 100% responsible for their life. They take responsibility for their moods, attitude, thoughts, feelings, actions and words. They are the first to admit when they’ve made a mistake.

Begin today by taking responsibility for your happiness. Work on developing these habits as you own. The more you incorporate the above habits into your daily lifestyle – the happier you will be.

Most of all: BE TRUE TO YOURSELF.
    http://brinaesau.blogspot.com

Without change, there would be no butterflies.

Life changes

Quote Originally Posted by debbier View Post
    1. Does it really get better?

2. The New Life

After my little dilemma with my L1 SCI 2/01/2010, now fused from T10 to L3-bone graft....... I find life to be challenging. I've lost a job (two jobs) that I so very much loved. I am up and walking with a cane now. I am very thankful but I tired so easy. I have much back pain and for being paralyzed for 54 days changed my entire body, muscles, legs, and belly. I have 45 pairs of high heels -I cant wear but yet cant find the nerve to give them away.
    I've watched all my friends going on with their lives-dont even call anymore. AND I am on NY State disability which i HATE!!!!
    oh I could just go on and on. At least the guys who wanted to date me are still calling..

I was very active before all this. I was shopping, traveling, working, partying
    not much sleeping but I had LOVED my life before. now my biggest challenge is finding stuff to do. I am BORED AS HELL!!!!!

I hope it gets better because I sure as hell hate this new life!
    "I hope it gets better..." It will, look see: "I am up and walking with a cane now."

It may... or it may not, all depends on you. Before my accident I owned two pair of fine snowshoes, a fully equipped backpack, two pairs of fine hiking boots, enough tools to build a house. At age 50 I had never been in a Shopping Mall! I lost my job that had an unusual pay structure; allowing me to save $750 every month and I enjoyed my job besides. I was living in a well insulated cabin on 50 acres complete with all the necessary winter clothing, I had to sell it all. No more fresh eggs from my chickens, no more canned fruit in the root cellar, no more hiking for miles in a forest with a wide variety of tree species.

Poof!!! My former life was gone. So now what?

"Okay" I thought, "this is how it is, how do I do this transition."

Now I have two heavy earrings hanging from my left ear, a new tattoo on my right arm, a custom hi-tech wheelchair, new music has entered my life. Lots of good films, I have a special easy to access Honda Odyssey with a new stereo and a subwoofer, Netflix supplies all sorts of movies. I bought a bass guitar and an amplifier, I used to play but had not for many years. Now I have two basses, effects boxes, a simple recording set up. And made a BIG change: went from years upon years of PC use and bought a new Mac!

My old life left and a new one arrived.
    And I feel fine

So, my feelings are that you will make it just fine to. You are a beautiful young lady with many years ahead. The guys still want to date you? This is good.
    Last edited by Garyis; 01-11-2011 at 03:18 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quad79 View Post
    Spastic, your cats are beautiful! What do people do without pets, I couldn't imagine?!

Gary, you can post in the bitch & complain thread or start your own about your foot. Good luck!
    No, Iʻm done.

Spent six days in the hospital the graft went well but there are some signs that the graft on one burn may not take. But a strange thing happened while I was in the hospital: I began to feel good, both my sister and daughter told me that I sounded better than I had in years when they called while i was in the hospital!
    ~~~~~~~~~~