Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Being Happy

Thankx Mona.
    My grandson will be one year old on Dec. 8th.
    My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWHeeLs View Post
    This Sticky was just a thought one day when I opened the “Life” forum and saw the “Suicide” thread and thought, “What about all of the happy people and things going on in people’s lives.”

My injury is C5C6 complete and I am about 2 and a half years post. I’m still new to all of this and feel blessed to have this website for all the info, resources and the people. When I first found this site I thought life was over and it wouldn’t ever get better, but I was wrong. Here’s a few thread’s that show how my life has changed.

1. Does it really get better?

2. The New Life

Many things have changed since then and I am the happiest I have ever been, even pre-injury. I have many things and people in my life that I have to thank for that, but the thing that keeps me happy is me. When I get bummed something in the back of my mind starts to slap me around and lets me know that I don’t want to spend my day like that. I maintain my positive outlook because I know the opposite too well and choose not to live day in and day out like that. Here’s a couple of things I do to keep my spirits up.

• Fresh air always helps.
    • Positive people. Whether it’s in person, on the phone, internet and if no one is around or available put in a positive movie or t.v. show.
    • Staying occupied keeps the mind busy.
    • Pets, just watching the things they do makes me smile.
    • Exercise. The feeling you get when doing positive things for your body is incredible.
    I’ll post more as they come to mind, but the most important aspect for me is thinking positive constantly. Even when negative things slam me in the face I just step out of the box and put things in perspective in a positive way.

This Sticky should provide any kind of information on what you do to keep positive and happy, and also what kind of positive things are going on in your life.
    I happy to have a four day weekend, funny I have not had a drink since I got off work so I know I can be happy. I feel so good since I have not been at work. My legs are not cold now and even tho i lost a days pay it was nice to see my family smile because I have lost weight by cutting some wood and being with my family. i ate spinach dip for the first time and it was good. if the falcons win today I will go for that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunker View Post
    I happy to have a four day weekend, funny I have not had a drink since I got off work so I know I can be happy. I feel so good since I have not been at work. My legs are not cold now and even tho i lost a days pay it was nice to see my family smile because I have lost weight by cutting some wood and being with my family. i ate spinach dip for the first time and it was good. if the falcons win today I will go for that too.
    Hunker, I'm very glad to hear you haven't been drinking! I had a job once that made me crazy too. I know the economy sucks and it's not a good time to be job searching, but maybe you should start looking. It can't hurt and you may end up finding something that won't drive you to drinking!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Judging by the dates of the last few posts, it seems no one has been happy since last month.

This year has been a terrible struggle in many ways but it has ended with a sense of contentment for me. The year started with terrible stress of no medical care, financial devastation and abandonment by all I knew and loved. Last January I wasn't sure I would even make it another day. Seriously.

I was hospitalized for a week and got my meds in order enough to get my head clear enough to consider living another day. The psych unit in my town is one of the most wonderful places IMO. Some of the people I met there regulary schedule a stay in the unit like some sort of annual vacation. I actually wish I could go back to that cocoon of caring.

We (inmates) likened it to a cruise ship vacation. Not much in the way of luxury mind you, but lots of good food and 'interesting companionship'. As on a cruise ship we were somewhat restricted in opportunities to go ashore if you catch my drift. Lots of OT type activities to keep you busy. But they gave me the hope I needed to make it another day, and then one more day, and so on. I have to say that I am completely surprised that I am still here almost a year later given where I was at the beginning of the year.

Care cure has been responsible for a lot of the changes I have experienced over the past year. I read some of your stories and realize that I am not alone in my recovery. I have learned a lot. You guys helped me save my life. You gave me hope and education about my new abilities. I learned that life can go on successfully after SCI.

The stressors that were present at the beginning of the year have all been successfully resolved in part with what I have learned on this web site. I have the best medical care and a very good income and though my family is still absent, I am growing content with my new circumstance. I will work on the family thing in the coming year. So though I am not completely happy yet, I am content with things as they are now.

I thank all of you who have been so generous as to share your experiences and trials and tribulations on this web site. By doing so you have shown me hope and practical things and how to get over obstacles that I thought were insurmountable. You all do matter to someone and the little things can make a difference in someones life even when you dont know it.

Thank you all very much for just being here.
    Amy

Simple, my niece Nicole.

Amy, I'm glad you made it! Sometimes I get sucked into the negative aspects of CC and forget what a wonderful resource we have here. I, too, am thankful for all the folks who are willing to share their stories and offer support when others need it most!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    though I am not completely happy yet, I am content with things as they are now.
    Everyone deserves more than that, but it's not a bad place to be. Content is more than a lot of people have.

I wish you health and (at least) moments of true happiness in the coming year.

C.

You're a sweetheart Amy. I'm so happy for you coming so far!
    God bless you and keep you safe~

Natalie I'm glad your neice gives you joy. Kids have a way with our hearts!

y/w macska, cute age!

Hunker good for you!

I'm happy to be up healed and healthy!
    I'm happy for 80* weather in Texas. Almost Spring!!!
    I'm happy we have Care Cure. Thanks Wise!
    Praying all of you are healthy and happy too.

(HUGS) Mona

Thank you Lord Jesus! I'm very happy today to be posting!
    My pca watered my ivy above my monitor and let it run over.
    Right down the back of my monitor!
    The screen was getting big, little, big, little etc.
    Then it flipped & my tool bar went to the top.
    So we shut everything down.
    Woohoo! Cut it on this morning everything is back to normal!!!

So I'm very happy, blessed, and give God all the glory,
    God is so good to me.